Car Help required please.

Has anybody else had any experience on obtaining a replacement number plate for their car? I don’t live in the province where I first registered the car which is a 1500k round trip. I’ve been told by Thais that the only way to obtain one is to turn up in person where it was registered? I find that answer incredulous especially in 2021. Can anybody offer any accurate information?

thanks in advance.

Edited by Harry Fingerling

3 minutes ago, Harry Fingerling said:

I’ve been told by Thais that the only way to obtain one is to turn up in person where it was registered? 

Yes I can totally believe that  Thailand 4.0 and all !!!!!

what you might consider is to "move" the car to the province you live in now

this will involve getting new number plates anyway and avoid the long drive.

• Like 1

You would probably have to go to the head office in your province and get it registered there,if you

have all of the paperwork that should not be a problem.

You will get new plates for your car and have to hand in the old ones,if one is missing ?,would depend on where it is and what day i would imagine.

There are a lot of cars with one plate driving around.

The other option would be to wait until you go back to the original province?

All that they said ^^^.

Task A - Get a police report.

Then take it, all the vehicle docs you have, the vehicle, your ID and Thai speaker to your local Land Transport office and explain the situation. They will know the options, be prepared to apply a little "lubrication" if necessary.

2 hours ago, Harry Fingerling said:

Has anybody else had any experience on obtaining a replacement number plate for their car? I don’t live in the province where I first registered the car which is a 1500k round trip. I’ve been told by Thais that the only way to obtain one is to turn up in person where it was registered? I find that answer incredulous especially in 2021. Can anybody offer any accurate information?

Go to your local DLT where you live and sort it, you have no problem, if where you live the office is not open wait until pandemic is done, and then go. That's as accurate as it gets at this time.

• 2 weeks later...

This being Thailand, expect different reactions at different registration offices. Patience of Jesus may be required.

When I bought my car, it was already registered up country, 10 hours drive away. Initially I was told I would have to go there first, then return to Bangkok and register again. I had visions of driving all the way to Nakhon Nowhere only to be sent back empty handed.

I refused to go!

I just sat there at Nonthaburi reg' office till they gave in. In the end a nice Thai lady came out to help. She said it was her last day at the reg' office and she had always hated the stupid rules. It made her day to break the rule. It all took a few hours, but Roadrunner left clutching a new blue book and new reg plates.

They will want your passport and proof of address, plus the car and its papers.

I've done this at Chonburi.

Went there early morning with proof of residence, my passport, the car and its blue book. That was all they needed. Very quick and efficient. They checked the car, gave me some docs and a queue number. Was out by lunch time.

• Like 1