Are cheap Internet Service Provider any good?

OneMoreFarang

I am looking for an Internet Service Provider (ISP) in a building in Bangkok.

In the building I saw an advertisement from cabletv.co.th

They offer "fiber to room" 500/500 Mbps for 699 THB per month. In principle that sounds fantastic. But is it any good?

I.e. I looked at their website address www.cabletv.co.th and it shows Under Construction. Not good!

Until now I used TRUE and I am happy with them.

Do companies like above have their own cables or do they try to sell other ISPs services for a special price or how does that work?

• Like 1

I use AIS with my phone, no issues to hotspot to my laptop or plug my iphone in to get a better connection (get around 200-400mbps depending the area of bangkok)

AIS has fiber too for around the same price or cheaper

Edited by dj230
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In the building I saw an advertisement from cabletv.co.th

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

But is it any good?

The obvious solution is to speak to someone else who lives in the building. Surely they have a better chance of offering an experience than some random Joe here?

• Thanks 1

In my experience the cost of an ISP doesn't guarantee quality. What I have found is that cheap and relatively expensive providers start out well but the service declines over time and you end up with outages several times a week.

• Like 2

3BB have a 1000/300 for 590 per month.

I switched from a 1000/1000 at 1,200 baht per month to this plan a year ago.  I can't tell the difference between the old plan and the cheaper one.  I'm in Pattaya so can't speak for Bangkok. 

15 minutes ago, Taxi said:

3BB have a 1000/300 for 590 per month.

I switched from a 1000/1000 at 1,200 baht per month to this plan a year ago.  I can't tell the difference between the old plan and the cheaper one.  I'm in Pattaya so can't speak for Bangkok. 

Do you have an option for any additional services like BritManToo mentions.

Just now, roger101 said:

Do you have an option for any additional services like BritManToo mentions.

I think you'll find the 590bht 1000/300 service is the GigaTV package, which includes HBO Go, but that price is only for the first 6 months, then the price increases to 690bht/month (+VAT).

On 8/19/2021 at 10:48 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Do companies like above have their own cables or do they try to sell other ISPs services for a special price or how does that work?

I've had an odd ISP in the beginning of my time in LOS, they used cables from (now closed) TT&T.

If me, I would choose a majord ISP like the one you are happy with, i.e True, or 3BB or TOT; I use the latter and am happy, 3BB was not good service in my area, but others have excellent experience with them.

I pay 590 baht a month +vat for 250/250 Mbit fiber with TOT, including router, no set-up fees where I live.

• Thanks 1

I use True.

Its very good.  If theres a problem there out at my home in the sticks by the next day.

I pay like 700 baht for 300/300.  Its the fastest available in our Issan area.

As you know you need to keep up which ever promotion they may, seems to change daily.

I had TOT before.  If I had a problem it could take days.

Employees looked unhappy.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 4:11 PM, BritManToo said:

Totally happy with 3bb.

Me too, in a village in Kalasin province. I've rarely heard a bad word about them. Not often you can say that about a Thai company. I used to use TOT who were pathetic when the service went down, and when I changed to 3BB they gave a 50% discount for the first six months as a thank you for switching. Rarely a problem in the two years since, and when there was a minor problem they just came and changed the modem.

Also, when they came and installed it they did the wiring on a Saturday and returned the next day to link us up. They had a problem with that and spent four hours fixing it, quite happy to sit on my kitchen floor with beer and snacks until it was finally solved at 11.45 on a Sunday night. Try getting that service in Farangland!

• Like 1