Swollen Liver

Neeranam

I feel like I have a swollen liver. 

It is not painful but I can definitely feel it when I am sitting straight in a chair. 

I know it is my liver as I used to be an alcoholic. 

I have been taking Invermectin so I don't get Covid, and feel this may be the cause. 

I had a full medical 6 months ago, no problems. 

Any advice? 

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Invermectin only minimises the effect of Covid, as do the vaccines available. You can still catch it and pass it on to others.

So why not try stopping the Invermectin for a couple of weeks to see if the swollen feeling goes away. How long ago did you stop being an alky? Your liver is the only organ in the body which, given the chance, can re-juvenate itself.

Good advice. I only take Invermectin every 2 or 3 weeks. 

20 years since I had a drink

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Seriously?  Jeez, go see a real Doctor..

The flight home to the UK to see a real doctor isn't very practical at the moment.

All we have available is Thai doctors.

As for the invermectin ........ at least you won't have to worry about fleas, head lice, mosquitoes or ear mites!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Seriously?  Jeez, go see a real Doctor..

Well lets just scrap the sub forum then and all go see real doctors. If you have nothing constructive to say, better to say nothing and stop trolling. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Well lets just scrap the sub forum then and all go see real doctors. If you have nothing constructive to say, better to say nothing and stop trolling. 

I do not think bkk was trolling, he was giving you his best, sensible answer to your question.

OK, I have suggested stopping the Invermectin, and no doubt others will suggest something different, but with ANY health problem, go see a Doctor or hospital, do not rely 100% on Forums or Google.

Obviously, it is not alcohol which is causing the problem.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Yes, but just seen a doc who suggested I stop taking it. 

He prodded around and said mostly gas. 

Quite likely and nothing to do with liver at all.

A lay person cannot usually tell when their liver is enlarged, in any case.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Quite likely and nothing to do with liver at all.

A lay person cannot usually tell when their liver is enlarged, in any case.

Thanks for the input Sheryl.

Do you have any knowledge about Invermectin? I hear different things from different people. 

AS I used to drink 2 bottles of vodka a day and not eat anything, I know what a swollen liver feels like. 

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks for the input Sheryl.

Do you have any knowledge about Invermectin? I hear different things from different people. 

AS I used to drink 2 bottles of vodka a day and not eat anything, I know what a swollen liver feels like. 

I don't think what you were feeling was due to a "swollen" liver

There is insufficient information at present on the effectiveness & safety of ivermectin as a treatment for COVID; Small scale non-randomized trials suggest it may have some benefit. Random controlled trials are currently underway which will provide a definitive answer.

There is also no information on side effects in humans when used for COVID. Information we have on use in humans is for other conditions where much shorter duration of treatment (often just one single dose) was involved. We really do not know anything about the safety of long term use. (In animals either, for that matter, as there too it is usually used very short term). 

It is extensively metabolized by the liver and there have been a few reports of it causing hepatitis but just a few --  but then, until it started being advocated by "alternative" media as a COVID treatment, it was never used in humans for any significant length of time.  We really do not know what the potential effects of longer term use on the liver might be.

There is no reason at all to think it works as a preventive and safety concerns would naturally be much greater for that since it would involve much more prolonged use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The flight home to the UK to see a real doctor isn't very practical at the moment.

All we have available is Thai doctors.

As for the invermectin ........ at least you won't have to worry about fleas, head lice, mosquitoes or ear mites!

Ivermectine is used by horses for intestinal worms .....!

if you were taking iver only every 2-3 weeks and in recommended doses 0.2mg per kg, it's  safe and nothing to worry.

Probably more efficient is to take a smaller dose, part of pill, every few days, as half life is only 18h.

I was taking it 7.5mg almost daily for 6 months. No side effects. I had blood check at the time, liver enzymes in norm.

Because of your medical history maybe you should do liver tests more often, than every year

14 hours ago, internationalism said:

if you were taking iver only every 2-3 weeks and in recommended doses 0.2mg per kg, it's  safe and nothing to worry.

Probably more efficient is to take a smaller dose, part of pill, every few days, as half life is only 18h.

I was taking it 7.5mg almost daily for 6 months. No side effects. I had blood check at the time, liver enzymes in norm.

Because of your medical history maybe you should do liver tests more often, than every year

the experience of one person (or even a few dozen) does nto have any statistical significance. Side effects do not occur in everyone.

It remains the case that there is a lack of information on potential adverse effects of taking ivermection long term.

And that there is not yet conclusive information on its efficacy and safety in treating COVID, and certainly none of its use as a preventive.