UK Asda Mobile Network Stop Working 15 September 2021

Chris.B

On 8/20/2021 at 9:08 PM, Chris.B said:

Has anyone obtained a new SIM and activated it successfully with their old number?

On 8/20/2021 at 9:12 PM, scubascuba3 said:

i changed from Asda to giff gaff but someone did report they ordered the new Asda sim (new network) and they activated it in Thailand

Yes I think that was me. I had to get it sent to someone who sent it to me but the actual activation was very straightforward with several options to complete it. It is all explained very well on their site.

I posted about it some months ago. You are running out of time to make this happen with the post issues currently unless you have someone who can do it for you in the UK.

In fact I have had 2 sims off them since I discovered they were changing.

Edited by topt
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, topt said:

Yes I think that was me. I had to get it sent to someone who sent it to me but the actual activation was very straightforward with several options to complete it. It is all explained very well on their site.

I posted about it some months ago. You are running out of time to make this happen with the post issues currently unless you have someone who can do it for you in the UK.

Yes, 24 days to go! I must have forgotten about it but I received a reminder yesterday!!

I have ordered two sims to a friend who will send by International signed for service.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 10:47 PM, topt said:

I'm going to need a UK sim for Internet banking access soon - can you confirm the Asda sim doesn't need to be activated and topped up in the UK before sending? If I can activate and top up here it will be much more convenient, I'll just get the sim sent over. 

8 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I'm going to need a UK sim for Internet banking access soon - can you confirm the Asda sim doesn't need to be activated and topped up in the UK before sending? If I can activate and top up here it will be much more convenient, I'll just get the sim sent over. 

If you haven't already got Asda just order a giffgaff sim, activated online

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

I can confirm this.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you haven't already got Asda just order a giffgaff sim, activated online

Both same same in that sense.

Having re-looked at it, when I heard about the network change, one reason I stayed with Asda was that their standard per minute call costs when used in the UK were significantly lower.

Normally I wouldn't buy a package in the UK so I did not really look at that. For data packages I have seen Lebara touted a lot.

6 hours ago, petermik said:

Just read this as I use my Asda sim for my Halifax account (not sure if I can use my thai mobile number) what are my options,also I have 20 pounds of credit what happens to this?

555555 panic over....I,m with TESCO....LOL

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, topt said:

Both same same in that sense.

Having re-looked at it, when I heard about the network change, one reason I stayed with Asda was that their standard per minute call costs when used in the UK were significantly lower.

Normally I wouldn't buy a package in the UK so I did not really look at that. For data packages I have seen Lebara touted a lot.

I could have stayed with Asda but at the time it wasn't clear you could activate here, plus lots of people use giffgaff and their online access is good plus delivery of sim quick. their data packages for short term stay in UK are probably similar to Asda

On 8/21/2021 at 10:47 PM, topt said:

Hooray! My new Asda sim card arrived today, now to find out what to do with it....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Hooray! My new Asda sim card arrived today, now to find out what to do with it....

You have probably found this already -

https://mobile.asda.com/support/move-network

https://mobile.asda.com/help/our-new-network - answers pretty much any question on the switch over

And there should be instructions on the packaging the sim comes in to do it by text as well from memory.

• Thanks 1

The final cut off date is probably 29th September.

Its mentioned in this link https://mobile.asda.com/old-network    under the section key dates.

The script given to the call centre workers says the cut off is the 15th, but then the script says its not possible to process the change outside of the uk. Like being in Thailand.

Well that was wrong as this thread has shown.

Thanks for posting this thread . I am in Thailand and the switch over happened yesterday with no problems. It was done through the website not by text or phone.  The process asks 3 or 4 questions then switches over next working day, keeping the same phone number and any existing credit.

• Thanks 1