Thaivisa Barbeque Party In Chiang Mai !

george

Thai Visa is planning on hosting a BBQ Party in Chiang Mai for local members. The tentative date is in August, 2007.

In order to select the most popular and centrally located venues, we need help from local resident members.

"Recons" as they have been called, have proven to be a big advantage, not only for the members but for the organizers too. The more possible venues that are "reconned" the easier it is to find the right one to host a Thai Visa party.

So please feel free to list your favorite venue as well as others you have heard about and call out a date and time to meet and greet fellow members while you assess the venue. Please post your critiques here and keep in mind the following suggestions;

1) Accessibility…Does the venue allow for easy access to and from by taxi, car, or motorbike with ample available parking?

2) Members…Is the management affiliated with TV as a member or a sponsor?

3) Facilities…Are there facilities large enough to host between 30 and 50 people for either a private party or to reserve a section of the establishment exclusively for the pissup with ample seating available?

4) Atmosphere… Is the music level at a point where it can still be heard in the background while still holding a conversation without having to shout?

5) Food and Beverages…Is there food available? If not, is the management amenable to catered food being brought in? Are there mixed drinks and draught beer as well as bottled beer available? If food is available, will the management consider a preferential price for a large buffet?

6) Incentives…If we can all agree on a "short list" of possible venues, which of them will offer TV the best deal? Keep in mind that 50 – 100 people being dropped in their lap for a night of entertainment is something many owners would covet, so when a short list is compiled, what kind of incentives will be offered in order to entice TV on it's final selection?

Please list suggestions to favorite spots in Chiang Mai that would be ideal for a Thai Visa BBQ Party.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll put a list of a few possible venues for members to consider. Please comment on them or add other possible venues you feel meet the above criteria.

Khao Mao Khao Fang

Large area with rain forest style setting, located about 4kms out of Chiangmai on the road to Night Safari - plenty of parking, nice atmosphere. Food/drink prices reasonable. Thai food and if they have completed their menu, farang food. Also, open air with both covered and uncovered areas. Large place.

The Riverside Restaurant

Located on the Mae Ping River, so convenient, and have River Boat dinner cruises. Farang friendly with large choice of beverages, live music, multiple levels. Also, Thai & farang food. Also, large parking area near to it.

The Good View Restaurant

Also Located on the Mae Ping River - open air venue with riverside view and can sit outside or in. Live band, full kitchen facilities, large drink choices including a variety of wines. Large parking area across from it. Bit more upscale so maybe more expensive. Thai & farang food.

For venues outside the main Chiangmai area it may be possible to arrange a shuttle service between the site and a central Chiangmai location.

Nice suggestions but i think restaurants could be a tad too formal...

Not that its one of my personal favourites, but I'd nominate the Downunder on Niman. Huge oudoor balcony with stage for live band, good beer, broad enough menu to suit most tastes, centrally located.

Not sure about his thai visa affiliation though - but i dont think he even reads it.

The Downunder changes ownership at the end of this month (May). My friends from the GT-Rider group and I would go there to watch MotoGP and F1. Gus, the current owner is leaving and says we probably would not be welcome by the new management to do this. Enough said.

Khao Mao Khao Fang

Large area with rain forest style setting, located about 4kms out of Chiangmai on the road to Night Safari - plenty of parking, nice atmosphere. Food/drink prices reasonable. Thai food and if they have completed their menu, farang food. Also, open air with both covered and uncovered areas. Large place.

This a great place that I was recently introduced to. Has a large open area and has not been too busy on my visits. Also very reasonably priced with a full menu. Hard to describe, but has different areas that can be set up for a group style meal. Worth looking at IMHO.

You could all come to my house. Not central, but in Sansai! HOWEVER, beer is at grocery shop prices! And I will even pay for a band in the front garden and lay on a BBQ (Bring some burgers!)

Just a thought. Maybe too far out for many members of TV, but the offer is there if they want it!

Phil

Well. I anyone is Keen . Let me know , I would be Happy to see what i can do , if it can be held at MY place -

Not really Serious about profit . The place is Good for 30-50 people .

i can arrange more table and chair if needed

Is in the center of the city ..

I don't think i can make western food so food might be a problem ..

}Only have Simple Thai food .

IS just a relaxing place and the music is soft notthing fancy

SO let me know -

Beer wise - upon agreement i am sure i can work out something which make everyone happy .

:o

if you wanna have more info . let me know :D

Day and Music can be base on your choice

Edited by Ta22

I would be interested in putting my place forward for consideration as well.

Accessibility - Very central location. Car parking immediately outside is difficult but within a reasonable distance there is usually street parking available. Bikes and taxi access no problem at all

Member - A member and host to a number of TV piss ups before. A few regulars are rampant TV CM posters! (You know who you are :o )

Facilities - Tons of room inside and out

Atmosphere and music - no problem there

Food - Thai and Western, special menu or buffet if required

Incentives - Happy to put promos on

I know there are plenty of other good places as well including Ta's but I wanted to put my bar in the mix for consideration and am happy to discuss it anytime.

Thanks

MB

And that would be? :o

Tuskers.just a short walk from yourplace GP.Fantastic surroundings and good food too.

Shame about the owner though...he's an English rugby fan!! :D

Either The Laughing Leprechaun or Tuskers would get my vote with my preference being The Laughing Leprechaun.

The UN Irish (currently being extended/refurbished) and Haven should obviously also be considered but in August the rain may be an issue at Tartootu's place.

My vote goes to The Laughing Leprechaun.

JxP

I'd like to submit Sergio's new place.. (Of Pum Pui / Moon Muang Soi 2 fame before he sold that one). New place is on Fa Ham road, past The Resort before you get to the Superhighway.

Place is absolutely HUGE, is on the river, great Italian food and has good parking in front. (Riverside I think is way too crowded for a private party).

Tuskers would also be a good choice I think, really liked the place when I was there. Just parking will take a little more imagination. :o

The problem we need to confront is the fact that so many members will have to travel in from out of town - so parking will be a real issue. The other problem would be for those without transport getting to a venue with good parking.

Could anybody arrange a shuttle bus to either a.) take people to and from a car park, or b. pick people up from a central location, say Thapae gate, and ferry them to the venue?

I know there are plenty of other good places as well including Ta's but I wanted to put my bar in the mix for consideration and am happy to discuss it anytime.

Thanks

MB

I vote for Tuskers as well. Ta22 sorry mate but I think MB's place has the better overall set up with food, overhead cover, and pool table. Have a bbq or make a food order from his kitchen.

CB

As a former "organiser" with a large work social club I 'd advise you to make a head count of possible attendees before discussing venues.

100 members would have different requirements to say, 10 or a dozen. A smaller number would certainly be more comfortable in a private house.

As a former "organiser" with a large work social club I 'd advise you to make a head count of possible attendees before discussing venues.

100 members would have different requirements to say, 10 or a dozen. A smaller number would certainly be more comfortable in a private house.

You thinking about coming down for the event?

CB

CB

Dunno, August is a long way off. What format have the other "get togethers" taken? Wasn't there one at Phuket recently? Did they include WAGs? (Wives and girlfriends)? Kids?

I may have people coming over around that time, I could always join them up I suppose.

Sometimes I think you guys are better existing in my imagination and I'm sure I'm probably better unseen.

Mind you, if you were to road test that "massage" place I might reconsider. :D:o:D

CB

Mind you, if you were to road test that "massage" place I might reconsider. :D:o:D

I hope that you show up. I like your posts.

I'll probably go if I can walk to it! :D

I have had experience in hosting a TV BBQ Piss up last year.

Our new restaurant has ample parking and is just 10 minutes out of town.

We have a roof top terrace that can seat up to 60....and a massive BBQ. If it rains everyone can move downstairs.

If not my place and everyone wants to go into town then I would vote for Tuskers, but it would not be a problem to arrange transport to and from town.

Just my two satanges worth ......I wont be dissappointed if we don't get the nod.

TP

I have had experience in hosting a TV BBQ Piss up last year.

Our new restaurant has ample parking and is just 10 minutes out of town.

We have a roof top terrace that can seat up to 60....and a massive BBQ. If it rains everyone can move downstairs.

If not my place and everyone wants to go into town then I would vote for Tuskers, but it would not be a problem to arrange transport to and from town.

Just my two satanges worth ......I wont be dissappointed if we don't get the nod.

TP

Can you give directions to your resto TP ?? Will pop in for a bite soon..

The problem we need to confront is the fact that so many members will have to travel in from out of town - so parking will be a real issue. The other problem would be for those without transport getting to a venue with good parking.

Could anybody arrange a shuttle bus to either a.) take people to and from a car park, or b. pick people up from a central location, say Thapae gate, and ferry them to the venue?

Thanks for the kind words and support folks it's greatly appreciated. I know there are a lot of other good places out there as well.

Subject to cost, demand and the number of people wishing to attend I would be prepared to consider paying for a shuttle bus from an agreed/convenient location(s) as I know parking is an issue at Tuskers.

Of course August is a way off yet but it would be great to get a really big TV gathering together (whatever the location) not just the posters but I have also met many people that just lurk here and don't like to post.

ANy place is fine with me :D

i do have the advantage of Parking .. with enough parking space for maybe 30-40 cars easily .

anyway compare to other pub and place tusker is a nice place and i personally had been there and find it a ncie place too :o

well ..

importance thing is everyone have fun i sure would want to be going to one :D

Could I venture the following nominations:

1. Red Lion.

2. O Malleys.

... ok, I'm outa here now.

Both too small and smokey. And that's coming from a smoker.

As for transport, i really don't think it's an issue, as taxi's/ tuk tuks/ songthaews etc are literally everywhere.

Just a little background as I have worked the last 3 Thai Visa parties. Attendance, we had 62 attend in Pattaya, 55 in Pkuket and 55 in Surin so I would say the venue should be able to handle a private party of 50 to 80 guests inside as it might get wet in August. The owner should aggree to let us serve our own BBQ as Buckwheat will be supplying his famous ribs and filets. Also, the venue should be family friendly as each Thai Visa member can bring one guest which is usually their better or worse half depending on the relationship.

An added plus would be if there is nice hotel within walking distance (as in Surin the Majestic Hotel was walking distance to the Farang Connection) or at least on a main taxi route so guests can come and leave at their leisure.