Thaivisa Barbeque Party In Chiang Mai !

george

Okay, I can understand the wishes to give a good mate the business at Tuskers, but in this case the most important consideration is Thai Visa, and the large number of potential attendees who will be coming, not only from CM but from many parts elsewhere around Thailand and elsewhere. It would, I'm afraid, also not be acceptable to choose an inferior venue over a better one because the owner of the former posts on TV.

We need to decide, without recourse to mateism, which place would best suit the purpose. If you know nobody at any of the venues, which site best suits.

Furthermore, any talk of past TV get togethers in CM is not relevant to this thread. Previous get togethers, two of which I hosted and one of which had over twenty attendees, were highly informal and were not made with the official backing of the Thai Visa orginisation. I would not be remotely surprised if we did not break all records with well over 100 attendees on this occasion.

I must point out strongly, I have nothing whatever against Tuskers or Milton personally. I am simply trying to put the topic back on track and find the venue best suited to Thai Visa.

I think the best answer here would be to nominate one or two respected members to recce the suggested venues and make decisions based solely on the requirements of the occasion.

I would personally like to put forward four names as potential judges. Three of them in the business themselves, (because they are the ones best suited to make such judgement calls), and the fourth an enthusiastic consumer for whom I have the greatest respect!

My nominees for the panel are:

Milton Bentley Yes, his place is in the running, but he should also be able to put that aside and see if anywhere else is better suited.

John - cm soul brother

Rick of Paradise Pizza

and Crow Boy.

They should visit each venue as a group or individually but without any other friends or hangers on who may have interests, vested or otherwise, to skew the results.

I would be more than happy to accept any decision based on their recommendation's, following the guidelines set out by George and Buckwheat in this thread.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair comments p1p,but I would like to point out,that I have been to Tuskers the same number of times that I have been to 'The pub'.Twice. I like a venue in town.Easy to get transport and close to a large proportion of accomodation etc.I also think that a person who is a regular poster,should be given a preference.All of the venues that have been mentioned would do ok.The rest is personal choice I suppose.

I also wouldn't mind if the venue is somehow related to ThaiVisa.. When the owner is 'part of the group' he's most likely the most in tune on what to expect and is more willing to go out of his way to make this one happen properly. And... it's more likely to get discounts for this occasion as well as individually for TV members on future visits. :o:D :D

My preference is I think also in town or otherwise very easy to reach.

Parking: Well, parking would be nice but for a one-off event I'm sure people can manage, even if it means parking their Fortuner a couple blocks away and invest 15 baht in a red bus or a couple kcalories in a walk.

Venue size: This I think is the biggie; and be careful to not only survey the size on Monday afternoon, but also taking 'regular clientele' in mind who would fill up the place. For example, Riverside is huge, but it's likely to completely fill up. Unless of course we rent out the entire place for the evening, but then very high-traffic places would be less likely to go along with that.

Venue character: In the scenario that really a lot of people visit, like 100, I don't think that means needing a seat for each and everyone. Can be some standing/mingling going on.

Fair comments p1p,but I would like to point out,that I have been to Tuskers the same number of times that I have been to 'The pub'.Twice. I like a venue in town.Easy to get transport and close to a large proportion of accomodation etc.I also think that a person who is a regular poster,should be given a preference.All of the venues that have been mentioned would do ok.The rest is personal choice I suppose.

I have no personal ax to grind here, I know no one personally in CM, I have possibly spoken to Ulysses G once on the subject of books long before I was a member here.

I go to his book shops when I'm in town not because he posts regularly but because he has a good selection of books.

I think TV membership should only be relevant if that person's restaurant would be considered anyway.

I'll be traveling from CR if I come and will possibly make it a two night hotel stay in the interests of a full recovery from any excesses, and also possibly to stock up on a few books and some supplies not available in the 'Rai. Considerably more expense and inconvenience than some one who lives a tuktuk ride from the venue.

If I consider the venue to be substandard I will mingle for a while, sceadugengas are polite creatures, and then move on somewhere else.

I'll then slag off the place and the organisers in my next post.

My understanding is someone will be cooking a BBQ, so maybe the standard of food won't be relevant to the venue, possibly they could be asked to supply a buffet style salad and cold meats table for non BBQ lovers?

Has any one considered hiring a venue, have a catered buffet meal with an up front door payment and beer and soft drink on ice for sale and/or a BYO system?

First up organisers, get a date and then start counting heads. I personally won't commit either way until this is done, but if I decide to go I can be relied on to turn up.

If I consider the venue to be substandard I will mingle for a while - sceadugengas are polite creatures - and then move on somewhere else.

I'll then slag off the place and the organisers in my next post.

That's the spirit! :o

First up organisers, get a date and then start counting heads. I personally won't commit either way until this is done, but if I decide to go I can be relied on to turn up.

Hope members will have a little patience in this process. We are working in the background (and to responses in this topic) to collect all the information and formal announcements (polls, etc.) will be made shortly. Thanks.

I am closing this thread temporarily while decisions can be made behind the scenes.

The agreed date for the party is

Saturday 18th August.

The venue is to be decided from nominations made in this thread.

p1p

Okay, this thread is now open for further discussion of the TV Pissup & Barbecue, which looks set to be, possibly, the best party ever held in Chiang Mai, BAR NONE.

Our military style reconnoitre group is right now fully cammoed up and crawling through drains or deep undergrowth somewhere in Chiang Mai. We will later be posting a poll of the best of the best - as decided by our highly competent - and dangerous - recce squad.

Until then...........

Our military style reconnoitre group is right now fully cammoed up and crawling through drains or deep undergrowth somewhere in Chiang Mai. We will later be posting a poll of the best of the best - as decided by our highly competent - and dangerous - recce squad..

:o

I have this wierd mental image of p1p crawling through the bowels of CM in a camoflage kaftan and Rambo headband...

Sounds like I may have to plan another visit... this sounds like fun!!!

Saturday 18th August huh?

I have this wierd mental image of p1p crawling through the bowels of CM in a camoflage kaftan and Rambo headband...

Dunno if we will let out of town Aussies to the party.Don't want to lower the tone..... :D

Our military style reconnoitre group is right now fully cammoed up and crawling through drains or deep undergrowth somewhere in Chiang Mai. We will later be posting a poll of the best of the best - as decided by our highly competent - and dangerous - recce squad..

My motion always used to be compared more to a slither than a crawl. It's amazing how much you can affix to a Kaftan in the way of camo strips! Better than any webbing... :D

p1p dons his guerrilla suit and sets off on a restaurant recce in deepest darkest CM

post-36525-1181017269_thumb.jpg

Baz and I are looking for a good reason for a "road trip" probably the second week in July. Anyone up for a get together?

I promise we will be on our best behavior :o

Buckwheat - more than happy to meet up, unfortunately I only know the pubs, bars and places of ill repute where the rest of the CM TV posters hang out. If you are looking for a more a shopping and museum tour then unfortunately can't help :D

cheers

CB

Baz and I are looking for a good reason for a "road trip" probably the second week in July. Anyone up for a get together?

If that's the attitude,you shall not be allowed here..... :D

If that's the attitude,you shall not be allowed here..... :D

He said it not me!

Count me and the missus in then.

Name the place.

Missus? your bringing the Missus..........................................................................

................................................................................

................................................................................

............................................... last time I was there they already had women in Chiang Mai.

Why bring a bag lunch to a buffett? :D

Ahhh... I see you've met my missus... :o

Nice piss take JD.Bet you don't show your lovely wife this post.... :bah::D

You know me too well mate.

:D

And her... :D

Every time I read this thread topic I think it says Thaivisa Burlesque Party .. :o

:D

Yep you have us sussed out :D

In every three ring circus there is only one ringmaster. Some high fliers and the lion tamer. So how come this one has cornered the market for clowns?

CB