Traveling to Thailand from outside home country

4 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've applied at where i've been told to.

To suggest to try somewhere eles is silly. 

Hardly silly, I was suggesting a possible alternative for the OP if he can find and embassy/consulate that will accept postal applications.

Further, regarding your previous post where are disagreeing with Ubonjoe's statement that most embassies/consulates have a citizenship/residence requirement - you state:

'If the country you're in do not have an embassy then you're directed to the closest one, where i've just e-mail directly, no online application.'

That is correct but you still have to prove residency. For example, there is no Thai embassy/consulate in Iraq so applicants are directed to Jordan. However, if the embassy in Jordan has residency requirements, the applicant would have to show residence in Iraq.

Things are changing and the options for obtaining a visa outside your home country are becoming increasingly limited. Its entirely possible that the Thai authorities may use the break created by covid to roll out the E-visa system further.  I currently obtain 12 multi-entry O visas from the consulate in Ho Chi Minh so I'm hoping that doesn't change. If I had to use the Thai Embassy in the UK I'd be limited to a single 90 day entry visa - another difference with E-Visa.

• Confused 1

On 8/26/2021 at 9:35 AM, KhaoYai said:

That is correct but you still have to prove residency. For example, there is no Thai embassy/consulate in Iraq so applicants are directed to Jordan. However, if the embassy in Jordan has residency requirements, the applicant would have to show residence in Iraq.

Incorrect

I applied in Abuja in Nigeria while working in Ghana, i'm not a resident or citizen of either of those countries.

BTW i'm only talking about getting CoE not visa.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Certainly not the same situation. A COE can be applied for at any embassy that is in their origin country for their travel or one that is responsible for the country they are in.

2 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Incorrect

I applied in Abuja in Nigeria while working in Ghana, i'm not a resident or citizen of either of those countries.

If you are talking about COE then my post was not incorrect.

It seems strange that you now say you are talking about COE when the OP was asking about visas and your previous replies seemed to be about visas,  You also knew very well that I was referring to visas as I mention Multi Entry Non O's and E-Visa.  To the best of my knowledge there is no such thing as a Multi Entry COE.

• Like 1

This is an interesting question. I'm a dual national, UK and NZ. I've been living in the UK for several years. Last year I applied for a 90-day Non-O based on marriage. I really wanted that to be done in my NZ passport, as longer term I'll have no connections to the UK at all. I did it with the UK passport because time was short and I did not want any complications, but I've always wondered if it could have been done in the NZ passport. Seems silly to have to make a trip to NZ to achieve that.

At some point I'll email the London embassy and ask them.

Edited by Tuvoc

8 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

This is an interesting question. I'm a dual national, UK and NZ. I've been living in the UK for several years. Last year I applied for a 90-day Non-O based on marriage. I really wanted that to be done in my NZ passport, as longer term I'll have no connections to the UK at all. I did it with the UK passport because time was short and I did not want any complications, but I've always wondered if it could have been done in the NZ passport. Seems silly to have to make a trip to NZ to achieve that.

At some point I'll email the London embassy and ask them.

Under normal circumstances, you could (i) exit Thailand by air without a re-entry permit; (ii) re-enter visa exempt with your NZ passport; and (iii) apply for the Non O visa in-country at Immigration.

Right now, that is difficult and expensive to accomplish. However, if you are fully vaccinated, I suspect there will be viable ways of doing this within a few months (possibly via Singapore).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Under normal circumstances, you could (i) exit Thailand by air without a re-entry permit; (ii) re-enter visa exempt with your NZ passport; and (iii) apply for the Non O visa in-country at Immigration.

Ah yes that's right, that is the easy answer if the UK embassy would not do the 90-day Non-O. I'm assuming that I would also have to let the existing 1 year extension lapse as well in terms of timing of doing this.

51 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Ah yes that's right, that is the easy answer if the UK embassy would not do the 90-day Non-O. I'm assuming that I would also have to let the existing 1 year extension lapse as well in terms of timing of doing this.

Without a re-entry permit your extension would not be valid after you enter the country.

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Without a re-entry permit your extension would not be valid after you enter the country.

Another good point !  I have one currently but that is a definitely another strategy when I want to make this change. So this is in fact pretty easy to achieve.