Non-Imm O-A from USA wanting to return

I am in the process of applying for my Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A”. I see now it is done online and the steps are very clear.  I am not vaccinated and don’t wish to be (I suspect that I have had covid).  I plan to arrive in BKK in Mid-Oct and then transfer to Phuket and/or Koh Phangan after my 14 day Q.  

My questions are as follows:

1. What is the domestic travel like in Thailand right now and best guess for Oct?

2. Is being vaccinated required for the sandbox programs in Phuket and Sumui?

3. Best Insurance Option

Thank you…

1. At this time domestic flights are not available. But if is planned for them to start again by end of this month.

Hard to predict for October but it should not be a problem then.

2. Yes

3. You will need the $100,000 covid 19 insurance coverage to enter the country. It will be need to to valid for one year since that is the permit to stay you will get when entering the country using the OA visa. If the insurance you will have to have to apply for the OA visa provided that coverage it would not be needed.

See here for info about the approved Thai companies for the 40/400k baht coverage for the OA visa. https://longstay.tgia.org/

For covid 19 insurance you can look here. https://covid19.tgia.org/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1. Is it possible to extend Non-O without putting money in a Thai Bank? I have a notarized letter of pension benefit in excess of 65k baht a month.

2. If i enter the country with a Non-O-A good for a year but have an outbound flight for 30 days later and insurance for the same will they accept this?

3. The antibody test is a good idea to see where i am with this insanity. Naive? perhaps but there are many things one can do to recruit help for the immune system other than becoming vaccinated.  I am watching the options and when/if one becomes available that makes sense to me then i may accept it... 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, TimLMT said:

1. Is it possible to extend Non-O without putting money in a Thai Bank? I have a notarized letter of pension benefit in excess of 65k baht a month.

2. If i enter the country with a Non-O-A good for a year but have an outbound flight for 30 days later and insurance for the same will they accept this?

3. The antibody test is a good idea to see where i am with this insanity. Naive? perhaps but there are many things one can do to recruit help for the immune system other than becoming vaccinated.  I am watching the options and when/if one becomes available that makes sense to me then i may accept it... 

1. If willing to transfer 65,000+ baht each and every month into a Thai bank account, you can avoid keeping a big balance in Thailand when extending your Non O visa.
  2. No. Since you will receive a one-year permission to stay on entry you must have insurance for the full year.
  3. Antibody tests are not considered an effective guide for individuals, though they are useful science when considering groups, and when used in combination with other data. Good ways of protecting yourself against infection (other than vaccination) are
      * Ensure you are not deficient in vitamin D or zinc. Supplements for these are cheap.
      * Avoid indoor environments. Wear masks when you feel the need to go inside anyway.
      * Maintain social distancing outside (at least 1.5 metres)
      * Minimise your circle of social contacts and, while you want to be unvaccinated, stick to vaccinated people within your own circle as far as possible.

Familiarise yourself with treatments that appear to be effective, should you become infected, versus those unsupported by properly conducted trials. The two main ones (taken early by those with mild symptoms) are
     * Monoclonal antibody infusion. This has been recently licensed in Thailand, but may be difficult to get.
      * There are already a couple of antivirals that have some benefit (one of these is Favipiravir easily available in Thailand.) You should not expect miracles from these. Potentially more effective antiviral treatments are undergoing human trials, and may be licensed with a few months. Worth watching is Molnupiravir, though I would be cautious based on toxicity of some related antivirals.
    {The above treatments should not be used as prophylactics as the potential risks outweigh the benefits.]
Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, TimLMT said:

I will be entering with the Non Imm O - Retirement Visa (90 days).  I believe i only need the $100k covid insurance and not the 40/400k baht insurance.  Can someone please confirm this? 

If you have a re-entry permit or an existing unexpired Non O visa, most embassies will not insist upon the general medical insurance when requesting the COE. However, if you need to apply for a new Non O, one of the requirements will almost certainly be the 400k/40k medical insurance. This has been true for a while. If you are eligible for a visa exempt entry, it is probably better to enter visa exempt, and apply for the Non O visa at Immigration after arrival.