Mixing vaccines

Golden Triangle

Sorry, I looked, I searched, couldn't find anything remotely close, apologies if this has been covered before please feel free to merge or delete.

I have had one AZ  vax & due a 2nd in November, the Mrs was trying hard to get vaccinated, now it all happens at once, yesterday she registered locally for 1 jab Sinovac, followed by 1 jab AZ,  then this morning she gets a message from Bangkok Pattaya hospital to pay for 2 jabs of Moderna jab date unknown,  but all paid for anyway, then this afternoon I receive an email from another organisation I had registered her with to get the 1st jab of AZ next week sometime, all free of course. 

So my question is: Is there a definitive list or does anyone know if vaccines can be mixed ? For example, 2 shots of AZ followed by a booster of Moderna ? Or any other vaccines, thanks. 

• Like 1

The Thai government is actually wanting to mix vaccines because of the high efficacy levels. You can see from this quote from an expert that the 2 doses of Sinovac followed by 1 AZ is incredibly effective.

"...those inoculated with two doses of Sinovac and one dose of AstraZeneca have the highest immunity levels against the Delta variant (271.17), followed by two doses of AstraZeneca (76.52).

Those inoculated with two doses of Sinovac and one dose of Sinopharm have immunity levels at 61.26, while only two doses of Sinovac have the least (24.31)."

Your problem is timing the jabs. 

Two AZs in a row should be 12 weeks apart by Thai guidelines. 2 Pfizer jabs should be 3 weeks apart. I've not seen any recommendations for Moderna because it is private hospitals only so it was not anticipated it'd be mixed by those seeking vaccines. As you can see, if you "go DIY" you must be careful and well researched. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There are no booster recommendations in Thailand yet but likely will be. CDC recommendations re booster will be out soon (i.e in next month or two) and will probably recommend a booster  8 months after initial series. Which is about how soon Moderna ordered now from a private hospital will be available.

Currently you have to pay in advance for 2 doses of Moderna even though booster, once recommended, will likely be just 1 dose. If you do not mind doing that, I would go ahead. Having the booster be Moderna when the original vax was AZ is no problem, in fact good. 

This is what I have done for myself and my household staff (purchase Moderna with intent of it being a booster).

The website of the hospital I used for the Modera purchase (MedPark) says "Currently, studies are being conducted in USA and UK regarding MODERNA as the 3rd and the 2nd shot, and in heterologous and homologous vaccination. The studies could take 1 year, starting from June 2021. Updates will be provided as results emerge, but it is currently not a standardized recommendation to use Moderna as a booster or in a heterologous vaccination. Therefore, MedPark will only have the primary series of the Moderna vaccine available, according to the manufacturer’s standards. If there are any updates, you will be notified."

I am counting in there either being guidance for booster dose in place by the time it arrives OR the hospital not enforcing the "primary series" requirement (i.e. not checking database for prior vaccination and refusing people shown as already vaccinated. For free vaccines that  does happen but I am betting that a private hospitals with paid for vaccine, will not.) This  it is a gamble and no guarantee.

If the AZ appointment for next week is sure then I would ditch the Sinovac appointment and let her get the 2 AZ, that'sd a no brainer.

You could then plan on Moderna booster in  8 months (understanding you will meanwhile have to pay for 2 doses and that there is a small chance of being refused at that time altogether).

Thanks Sheryl, I did pay for the 2 Moderna jabs ( non refundable ) we will definitely ditch the Sinovac/Sinopharm AZ when the appointment comes through, she will definitely have the 2 AZ at Samithivej starting next week, hopefully by the time the Moderna comes through all the necessary tests will be completed & sufficient time elapsed to convert 2 doses to 2 booster shots. ????????????

Edited by Golden Triangle
To add clarity ????