Has anyone used their Non Thai based health insurance to meet Thai Covid entry requirements?

My wife and I have USA based Blue Cross health insurance that covers us for Covid and other health afflictions worldwide. This insurance would meet the Thai requirements, but I am not sure what documentation Blue Cross would have to provide us to meet the Thai requirements and if they even would? Has anyone been able to enter Thailand with their own insurance not purchased or based in Thailand or did you just end up buying Thai insurance to get in? If you did used your non Thai insurance what document did you get that was accepted by Thai immigration?

My own (ERGO) has confirmed they will issue such a statement when the time comes. If they don't have their own version, I'll copy and paste Sheryl's.

However I'm also going to want coverage if I'm asymptomatic - they bung you into hospital in Thailand if you merely test positive and I've heard some companies won't cover that because treatment/hospitalization isn't necessary.

(Any thoughts on that Sheryl?)

You would need a letter from your insurer where it is stated that they would cover a minimum of 100kUS$ for covid-19 and further additional cover for other In/Out-Patient cost  in Thailand and it must state an exact date of period.

I was refused first because in the letter was stated my long time ago start date of the contract and as end date unlimited, because the intend is not to quit my health insurance. It is an ongoing contract under German law.

This flat head at the embassy did not accept and so I need to ask for a new letter where the End-Date was stated as 31Dec2022 and further.

My second problem with them was, that they did not understand the difference between an AQ and ALQ Hotel. So, they requested to show that I have paid the AQ-Package.

AQ Hotel is in Bangkok and ALQ are local hotel. I booked for Pattaya.

All this hotel have of course included the AQ package in the price. They mainly want to see that the 3 PCR Test are paid. But they are too dumb to read the booking confirmation from Agoda where everything was stated.

After the third trial to get my COE I wrote a detailed summarize of my conversation and wrong information given to me first and put following email in copy :

'[email protected]';  (Ministry of Tourism and Sport)

'[email protected]'  (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

After I send the email to the Singapore Embassy at 3:30pm, I got an email back at 6:30pm the same day with the link to download my COE!

I don't know that they work so long there in the SG Embassy.

Edited by MayPutThai
grammar
  • Thanks 1

I am currently in the U.S. and also have Blue Cross/Blue Shield coverage that can be used in Thailand.

Even if my BlueCross/BlueShield coverage is acceptable for COE, I probably will get a separate Covid-coverage from a Thai-based insurance just to cover costs if I were to test positive and be asymptomatic, or even symptomatic, as BlueCross/BlueShield will only cover hospitalization if it is deemed ‘Medically necessary’. The cost of Thai Covid insurance coverage is small compared to the cost for possibly two people spending 14 days in a hospital.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

I am currently in the U.S. and also have Blue Cross/Blue Shield coverage that can be used in Thailand.

Even if my BlueCross/BlueShield coverage is acceptable for COE, I probably will get a separate Covid-coverage from a Thai-based insurance just to cover costs if I were to test positive and be asymptomatic, or even symptomatic, as BlueCross/BlueShield will only cover hospitalization if it is deemed ‘Medically necessary’. The cost of Thai Covid insurance coverage is small compared to the cost for possibly two people spending 14 days in a hospital.

I am considering the possibility of forking out for Thai health insurance even though I have my own to avoid the loophole you mention where I am asymptomatic but hospitalized anyway which would be outside of my personal insurance coverage. Do you know if you get the Thai policy how long it needs to be effective and if I can cancel the Thai policy as soon as I am past the various quarantine/sandbox measures? At that point I would just rely on my own.

16 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I am considering the possibility of forking out for Thai health insurance even though I have my own to avoid the loophole you mention where I am asymptomatic but hospitalized anyway which would be outside of my personal insurance coverage. Do you know if you get the Thai policy how long it needs to be effective and if I can cancel the Thai policy as soon as I am past the various quarantine/sandbox measures? At that point I would just rely on my own.

To apply for the certificate of entry the $100,000 covid 19 insurance has to be valid for the length of stay you get when entering the country.

If have other insurance to cover your more than 30 days you could get another policy to cover those first 30 days after your arrive to get the coverage for asymptomatic treatment. The insurance you can get here covers asymptomatic treatment. https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To apply for the certificate of entry the $100,000 covid 19 insurance has to be valid for the length of stay you get when entering the country.

If have other insurance to cover your more than 30 days you could get another policy to cover those first 30 days after your arrive to get the coverage for asymptomatic treatment. The insurance you can get here covers asymptomatic treatment. https://www.tipinsure.com/CovidRegional/product_detail

How is my length of stay determined? My wife and I have Thailand Elite visas and our stay is theoretically many years. Do I need an exit ticket to demonstrate length of stay? Otherwise we were hoping to get a one way ticket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, wasabi said:

How is my length of stay determined? My wife and I have Thailand Elite visas and our stay is theoretically many years. Do I need an exit ticket to demonstrate length of stay? Otherwise we were hoping to get a one way ticket.

Me too usually always go one way and play it by ear........also without a visa since 2008 from USA

35 minutes ago, wasabi said:

Your Thai Elite visas allows a one year permit to stay every time you enter the country and that is how long the covid 19 insurance would need to be valid for.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If I try to buy a 30 days insurance, they tell me I need a longer period to cover with my Non o retired.

I fear that I buy the Insurance and later the don't want pay because of the short term, even if I have my own Insurance which I used also for my COE for 1 year.

Insurances will find always reason to avoid paying any. Why it should be other here?

They also state that the should be only one insurance per person.

It could be the point to say, I have two insurances, so they would not pay any.

Is there any email contact to clarify this in forecast?

On that general Website from the tipinsure.com is no contact possibility.

What a poor organization.

17 minutes ago, MayPutThai said:

I fear that I buy the Insurance and later the don't want pay because of the short term, even if I have my own Insurance which I used also for my COE for 1 year.

If tested positive for covid 19 and was asymptotic you could show the 30 day policy to cover that part of your treatment.