Out of country and visa expires what happens to work permit

As title say I’m currently out the country have non imm b visa needing extension end of October,,,,,if I let the visa  expire ,don’t come back thailand before end October,what happens to work permit,,,work permit expires august next year,,,,can i still use it to get new  visa or does work permit become invalid.

thanks

Edited by taninthai

3 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Your work permit stays valid and you need it to apply for a new non-B visa at your embassy before arriving. In Thailand you can then apply for an extension of stay based on employment. Beware that you cannot enter on a tourist visa (or visa exempt) and legally work even when holding a prior obtained and still valid work permit. 

Any idea what happens if a work permit has already been extended for a year, but the non Immigrant B expires while the holder is in Thailand?  For example, Immigration is unable to get through the backlog of thousands of people needing extensions coming on 26 Sep at CW Immigration?

It seems unthinkable that this could happen. Yet, we're seeing cases of unthinkable already and we haven't been able to get clarification through the Immigration helpline. 

17 hours ago, Misty said:

Any idea what happens if a work permit has already been extended for a year, but the non Immigrant B expires while the holder is in Thailand?  For example, Immigration is unable to get through the backlog of thousands of people needing extensions coming on 26 Sep at CW Immigration?

It seems unthinkable that this could happen. Yet, we're seeing cases of unthinkable already and we haven't been able to get clarification through the Immigration helpline. 

IF you have a valid WP AND you apply for an extension of your Non-B (before it expires) then you are fine (Non-Bs are granted or denied on the spot) BUT don't be surprised if your Non-B extension is matched to your WP extension so that they expire together as they should.

Bear in mind that just because that's the way the rules are written doesn't mean much. I have personally had WPs and extensions with expiration dates that were weeks or months apart.

6 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

IF you have a valid WP AND you apply for an extension of your Non-B (before it expires) then you are fine (Non-Bs are granted or denied on the spot) BUT don't be surprised if your Non-B extension is matched to your WP extension so that they expire together as they should.

Bear in mind that just because that's the way the rules are written doesn't mean much. I have personally had WPs and extensions with expiration dates that were weeks or months apart.

Thanks very much for this.  I agree that they should expire together.  But they do not - not even close.

Currently I have a work permit recently extended until Aug 2022.  And my Non-B  extension expires (like everyone during this time period from last year) on 26 Sep 2021.  So nearly a year apart.

Apparently everyone with an extension done at CW Immigration last year between 21 Jul - 26 Sep was given the same next renewal date:  26  Sep 2021.  And Immigration insists renewals this year must be done in a 3 day window prior to that date.  It's not clear what will happen at CW Immigration in the 3 days working days prior to 26 Sep 2021.  Can they get through all those coming due?

On 8/26/2021 at 8:54 AM, Misty said:

Why do you think there will be thousands of people backlog?

6 hours ago, Misty said:

Apparently everyone with an extension done at CW Immigration last year between 21 Jul - 26 Sep was given the same next renewal date:  26  Sep 2021.

I was under the impression that these were "covid extensions" and only for the people that were "trapped" because there were no border runs available. I've been here 21 yrs on Non-O married extensions and it has never been an issue to renew as usual. All the teachers I worked with up until the end of Mar. that were/are here on Non-B extensions have also just renewed as usual.

Might check with UbonJoe and see if this is a CW specific issue.