UK Financial Advisers Based In Thailand (Or UK)

Jimmy B

A UK financial adviser told me that because of my non UK resident status he won't be able to help me with investing etc. He's put me in touch with an English run firm here in Bangkok that operate under the UK pricing rules and regs. etc. I'll want to investigate a few more possibilities both here and the UK, so Can anyone recommend or give suggestions of any other trustworthy firms/individuals that deal with expats? cheers. 

OP I had the same problem around 18 months ago when my FA of 30+ years dropped me.

I had to get a written statement from an FA if I chose a certain pension option, and the only help I could find was a high end firm in Singapore. They gave me some advice on the phone which turned out to be spot on and I got my pension withut a financial adviser, but if I had mega bucks they would have been allowed to help officially. I could find nothing in Thailand that conformed.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Many of the so-called "financial advisors" serving expats have few formal qualifications or experience and simply push high-commission products from off-shore centers such as the Isle of Man and Channel Islands. They tend to operate in a gray area as far as licensing is concerned and almost none of them are licensed to sell securities in the countries in which they operate. They will tell you that the IoM or CI have robust regulations and laws, but what they don't tell you is the cost and difficulty of pursuing legal relief in those jurisdictions. There's a reason why investment firms are located in those jurisdictions and it isn't because of robust consumer protection laws.

Often they will gloss over tax issues with statements such as "we have many clients that do this", but will also disclaim any responsibility for your tax matters or that they are giving tax advice.

Be careful.

• Like 2