Toyota Fortuners

Maigo6

I have noticed on a few threads that Fortuner owners come into some kind of sterotypical bracket by certain posters.

Are Fortuner owners different to a Honda Jazz owner ?

Why the Fortuner owners bashing ?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that many people consider a Fortuner on Bangkok's small sois somewhat of an unnecessary extravagance given the available road surface area. Wouldn't 1 million Honda Jazz cause less traffic problems than 1 million Fortuners ?

Of course some will argue that in Thailand it only takes 2 cars to make a traffic jam and that it's the Thai way of driving which contributes more to the traffic problems here, not the number or size of vehicles.

However, IMHO there does seem to be a different driving mentality of those driving larger vehicles. It's a variation on the BMW and Merc mentality you see on the motorways...that of being able to drive faster than everyone else and in complete safety and those driving lesser expensive vehicles are not to obstruct their passage. Drivers of larger vehicles, typically 4WD, do tend to be more agressive simply due to the superiority the drivers command through the relative size of the vehicle. And that's not just something peculiar to Thailand but also occurs in many western countries as well.

So I guess this stereotyping should not be directed solely at Fortuner drivers. I drive a Hilux 4WD dual cab, physically the same size as a Fortuner but without the social stigma which the OP refers to. Wonder why Hilux drivers are treated differently. Could it be that Hilux are considered vehicles with a practical purpose (eg. load carrying) while Fortuners (especially those driven only in Bangkok) don't really have any practical purpose at all ?

Oops...there's my prejudice against Fortuner's showing.....must be jealous !

However, IMHO there does seem to be a different driving mentality of those driving larger vehicles. It's a variation on the BMW and Merc mentality you see on the motorways...that of being able to drive faster than everyone else and in complete safety and those driving lesser expensive vehicles are not to obstruct their passage. Drivers of larger vehicles, typically 4WD, do tend to be more agressive simply due to the superiority the drivers command through the relative size of the vehicle. And that's not just something peculiar to Thailand but also occurs in many western countries as well.
I think that you'll find that there is a big difference in IQ too, maybe the size of their ***** too :o

All Hilux drivers would rather have a Fortuner but can't afford it. Most Fortuner drivers would rather have a BMW SUV.etc etc.

Selfishness plays a big part in driving a pick-up.

Nothing to do with ego or small man syndrome.

Fortuners are a nice car to drive (pitty about the brakes) & everybody seems to get out of your way. :o

All the bashers are just jealous. Are they going to bash me for previously driving a range rover too?

Cheers,

Soundman.

Maybe it's just me. But it seems that every time a vehicle comes steaming up behind me on the highway, lights flashing madly, it turns out to be a black Fortuner which will then dive up on the left before I've had a chance to get out of his way.

I don't hang about but these vehicles travel way too fast for the conditions (and 'speed limit').

EDIT I sold a BMW 325i to buy my Ranger (ground clearance and load carrying).

Don't like the lack of options on the Fortuner (nice drive though), I wanted a blue 3 L diesel with leather and a manual box - no can do :o

Edited by Crossy

Of course they are.

I've got both! So now I'm thoroughly confused as to what sort of person I should be.

I think if I lived in the City and never travelled much, I'd have a Honda Jazz or Honda City, but for long trips and living outside a City Fortuner is better in my opinion.

Of course they are.

I've got both! So now I'm thoroughly confused as to what sort of person I should be.

you maybe need to see a shrink.....Watch out you dont get charged double!

Take a long trip driving on the major highways and make up your own mind. It won't be difficult to see that they do have a different way of driving. Crossy said that it will normally be Fortuner flashing its lights and trying to pass everything on the road. He is 100 percent correct. That look in the rear view mirror will see a VERY pregnant Volkswagen Beetle stuck to your rear bumper flashing the lights. There are some that do drive what we would call normal but they are vastly outnumbered.

Each to their own, i guess. I've just ordered a new Camry 2.4v. What does that say about me, except that I'm too cheap to pay double for a European car?

Camry, what a sensible choice ! Jazz is sorta cute, but best for little folks.

Naka.

I'm a regular Fortuna Driver Basher.. I mean it's such a cliché - Fortuna, BigC, Camel Trophy outfit, the 'Family' and the 'Expat Swagger' (Do guys walk like that back home or is it something to do with the Fortuna Seats?)

More than that I think the Fortuna epitomizes "Farang going through the Bamboo Curtain" - They bought a car because they believed the rot they were told about it.

A second rate vehicle, that is only selling because there are no real alternatives in the price bracket. Like much in Thailand, second rate gets praised as first rate because... there is no alternative.

It's not the vehicle I bash, its those that believe the rot.

I'm a regular Fortuna Driver Basher.. I mean it's such a cliché - Fortuna, BigC, Camel Trophy outfit, the 'Family' and the 'Expat Swagger' (Do guys walk like that back home or is it something to do with the Fortuna Seats?)

More than that I think the Fortuna epitomizes "Farang going through the Bamboo Curtain" - They bought a car because they believed the rot they were told about it.

A second rate vehicle, that is only selling because there are no real alternatives in the price bracket. Like much in Thailand, second rate gets praised as first rate because... there is no alternative.

It's not the vehicle I bash, its those that believe the rot.

Interesting viewpoint...

Personally, I have never noticed any expats walking differently because they have a certain brand of car, then again, maybe I don't sit in superstore car parks watching how people walk.

I think you will find that many actual Fortuner owners are happy with their car, then again, maybe they are wrong and the people who don't own one are right. I tend to go with the people who own them, knowing more about them, than those who don't own them. The Ford Escape maybe an alternative, but I have known a few Ford Escape owners who sold their cars and became Fortuner owners and are happy.

Guesthouse, why do you put the word ' Family ' like that, it's as though you are trying to make a point about something, are Fortuner owners Families stigmatised also?

What is it about The Toyota Fortuner that makes non Fortuner owners crazy ?

All the bashers are just jealous. Are they going to bash me for previously driving a range rover too?

Soundman.

you green welly wearing, barber clad cad you. :o

Fortuner is like Wal-Mart. Category killer. Someone on the Auto threat mentioned that there was life in LOS BF (before Fortuner) and now we have life AF (after Fortuner).

Everybody who bought a big SUV BF felt like a fool AF, because our values went down and everybody only wanted to own a Fortuner (I recently sold a pristine Ford Everest at a very bad price). Any big vehicle will be intimidating on the road, and if you combine that with some localized driving habits, it's easy to be perceived as obnoxious. When a farang does the same, he instantly gets branded, and hence so much Fortuner owner bashing.

I also own a new Jazz and don't suffer any at the hands of Fortuner drivers in traffic, so I think this bashing is just jealousy or bad impressions created by some aggresive & maybe abusive Fortuner owners.

Fortuner is like Wal-Mart. Category killer. Someone on the Auto threat mentioned that there was life in LOS BF (before Fortuner) and now we have life AF (after Fortuner).

I like that, the year is 2007 AF, I first went to Thailand in 1990 BF. :o

I like that, the year is 2007 AF, I first went to Thailand in 1990 BF. :o

Yes, Fortuner is THAT dominant. Go to the auto thread and some poster who appears to work in the auto industry mentioned that something like 500 Fortuners are sold per month vs. Ford Everest 50 or maybe even bigger margin.

Ah..I remember well in the year 2004 BF, I bought that shiny new Ford, and in the year 2007 AF, I sold it for half the 1.4Mil I paid.

I would say that generally because of the aggresive way people drive there Fortuners and also those Fortuner owners always going on about how good and how much better there truck is than anyone elses' :o

That said, I find that the worst drivers on the road are Camry owners...I really hate them....10 x worse than any Fortuner owner :D