Good Or Bad Drivers?

Travel2003

Remember when I came to this country the first time (back in mid 1990s).

I immediately noticed the way the locals were driving.

Now, some years later I feel they are even more agressive in the way they drive.

They drive very fast.

They are agressive as drivers. Not against other drivers, but how they handle their weichles.

Squeezing in here and there.

Making line changes in 130 km/h, 2 meters from the car infront of them.

Constantly changing lines.

But still, I have this feeling that they actually are very good drivers.

It seem to me that they handle all kinds of situations much better then what people back home would do.

I guess that is why many would say that you are cuicidal (as a Foreigner) to drive in and around Bangkok.

Anyone?

PS. I'm pretty sure this has been brought up earlier, but not all members where around then.

Now, some years later I feel they are even more agressive in the way they drive.

They drive very fast.

They are agressive as drivers. Not against other drivers, but how they handle their weichles.

It seem to me that they handle all kinds of situations much better then what people back home would do.

I guess that is why many would say that you are cuicidal (as a Foreigner) to drive in and around Bangkok.

Anyone?

PS. I'm pretty sure this has been brought up earlier, but not all members where around then.

I agree with you. Bangkok at first is very intimidating for a foreigner to drive. I've also lived in the Kingdom for years, both in Phuket and in Bangkok. I have driven all over the country, as well as extensively and daily in BKK. Here is my summation. The best drivers are in Bangkok. They are fast, quick reactions, get on with business and polite. No honking. It gets progressively worse as you head south down country. IMO, the worse drivers are in the south, many seem to be untrained in driving skills, take extraordinary risks in overtaking, and many other bad driving habits.

Traffic is crazy in here, and I don't really think they are good drivers. sorry, but there are no rules in Bangkok to drive, is very unsafe for childrens to go and even walk by the street, motobikes are even in the sidewalk.

Traffic is crazy in here, and I don't really think they are good drivers. sorry, but there are no rules in Bangkok to drive, is very unsafe for childrens to go and even walk by the street, motobikes are even in the sidewalk.

I understand your position. Actually, there are rules, but they are very different from the west. I agree about kids, and motorbikes, which are constantly annoying to a driver, scratching your car as they pass, cutting in, and you always have to look for them. However, in terms of car drivers, I still say BKK drivers are the best in Thailand. This doesn't make driving in BKK a dream. It is not, assuredly.

Some of the crazier drivers in BKK certainly know how to handle their cars. Given the amount of seemingly insane acts I see on the road every single day (and in my biz I drive a lot) there are relatively few major accidents on the expressways etc. (until it starts raining)

Most bumps (with cars) I have seen, seemed to have happened at low speed in traffic by people not paying attention. However, all of the serious crashes I have witnessed, were exclusively drunks on motorbikes (as if bikes need to be more dangerous!), and one horrible occasion when a drunk guy fell off the back of a pick up on a busy Bangna Trad Highway.... *shudder*

I agree drinking heavily and driving is common. That leads to bad driving, but doesn't go to skills when sober.

On a visit to Chiang Mai we had a policeman friend taking us around. His driving sober was great. Then we drank beer all afternoon at the hot springs. It did occur after the umpteenth Chang that we might have thoght a little earlier about a designated driver--but he said he was fine, not to worry and he looked fine sitting there. Amazing, I thought, until we hit the road and he passed out while driving. I ended up having to take over, drunk, and with a seat I couldn't get to go back. Several ditches, a parked motorbike (or maybe it was just going slowly) and some kind of small animal (or perhaps an unusually hairy child on all fours) later we made it back to the city... Lesson learned: no, not drinking in moderation. Ok, still not sure what I learned but do enjoy the memory if not the repair bills for the car and bike.

I do find the driving style agressive - and sometimes terrifying. I have not drove on the main roads yet (never had the need). One thing that gets is really p!ssed off is the in-car safety. I've had running battle with my wife as she lets my son stand in the gap between the two front seats - i'm sat in the front with father in law, she's in back with her mom mostly. They look at me like i'm crazy and making a fuss about nothing, or am being mean to the lad - just can't drill it onto them that i dont want my kid's face planted into the windscreen or radio should we get involved in a bump...Lord know what'll happen once we drive about in the UK :o

/rant

Some of the crazier drivers in BKK certainly know how to handle their cars. Given the amount of seemingly insane acts I see on the road every single day (and in my biz I drive a lot) there are relatively few major accidents on the expressways etc. (until it starts raining)

Most bumps (with cars) I have seen, seemed to have happened at low speed in traffic by people not paying attention. However, all of the serious crashes I have witnessed, were exclusively drunks on motorbikes (as if bikes need to be more dangerous

Exactly my observation too.

Regarding drinking and driving.

3-4 years back, me and a few Thai friends were having a few beer, and playing some pool before we were heading off to their gig. They are musicians.

The driver had been consuming 3 small Heineken within about 2 hours time.

Anyhow, we got stopped by the entrance to one of the Highways.

He had to blow, and tested red.

And here comes the scenario.

He had to pay 12 000 in a fine, and stay in prison until it was paid!!!

I told him he could borrow the money from me, but I needed an ATM.

No problem. One of the Police Officers drove me on his motor cycle to the nearest ATM.

Funny to see all the looks from the locals. A very white farang back a Police bike.

Back to the station, and we paid the fine.

My friend got a receipt that the fine was paid.

And got his car keys back!!!!!!

Off we went, to the gig, just 30 minutes delayed.

When I talked about this to one of my Police friends later, he just smiled.

Needless to say maybe, but drinking and driving is a problem here, and I always try to tell my friends that Im not comfortable being in the car with them if they drink and drive.

But they are a h.. of good drivers.

Bad driving here is epidemic and directly related to the lack of driver education, training, law enforcement and corruption at all levels.

Until these shortcomings are addressed then it will continue that way.

My wife, on her motorcycle test swapped answers with all the other candidates during the written test.

During the practical she got lost on the course, failed to indicate properly, overshot a junction and still passed.

One of the guys there taking his car test failed and was still allowed to drive his brand new Vigo home. He had driven to the test centre in the same pickup.

My sister in law was offered a car drivers licence from the Amphur for a price as she couldn't wait to take the test.

Nobody thinks it neccessary to wear a helmet for safety reasons, just to protect the wallet when a checkpoint comes into view.

Drunk driving is acceptable, your just unlucky and very slightly out of pocket if caught.

Make fines what they should be, a deterent, not a minor inconvenience.

Educate road users. Make them aware of risks, consequences and responsibility, only then will the extraordinary death toll in Thailand stand a chance of being brought down.

Educate road users. Make them aware of risks, consequences and responsibility, only then will the extraordinary death toll in Thailand stand a chance of being brought down.

I have taught two women to drive in Thailand. I taught them the correct way (as I was taught in UK) but unfortunately, driving the correct way here can actually be dangerous as you are confusing the other drivers. Until all Thai drivers drive in a correct manner (which is likely to be never), it may be necessary to effect some form of compromise.

Driving in Thailand isn't that bad, but you need to grasp the fact that Thai drivers seems to think they're alone on the road. I'm driving here every day, and I have adapted the mindset I think everyone who operate a vehicle here should have, I always look at the cars/moto's in front of me, and try to figure out the most dangerous and stupid thing that could arise from from the situation. I then, simply, prepare for that to happen, and more often then not, it saves my day.

What really makes Thai traffic bad, is everyones determination, especially when it's combined with lack of driving skills, to get to their destination (often with unsecured goods loaded into their pickup). It seems that no one cares about the other traffic, since their "mission" is more important than anyone else's (like the motorcycle guy, driving wrong way, on the highway). One more thing to be learned, is that road signs, are mere suggestions, an example of that is the Suhkumvit in Pattaya, when you come southbound towards Pattaya klang, the signs suggest you should be in the far right lane to do the turn, interestingly, the turn can also be done from the next lanes as well, but there the sign suggest you should drive straight :D .

We also have the U-turns, a U-turn is a wonderful invention, with a surprisingly wide range of uses (eating,sleeping, selling things etc.), they seems to be the starting point for "wrong way" drivers on Suhkumvit. Here in Pattaya we're blessed with U-turns with an accelerating lane, so that you can get your car up to traveling speed before you cross in to the fast lane. Again this is just a suggestion on how to access the highway :D , the preferred method here in Thailand, is to stop your car, preferably in a manner that blocks the cars behind you, so they won't be allowed into the acceleration lane. You then wait....... wait for the four lane highway to be clear of traffic. When this eventually happens, you cross all the lanes, and when you reach the "snail" lane, you choose your direction (right way or wrong) :D .

If one can adapt to these things, driving in Thailand is "easy" :o .

Are they "Good Or Bad Drivers?" It depends on who the judge is, in a Thai setting, I would say that they drive pretty good, from an international point of view, they are a disaster. But then again, if you're going to drive here, be prepared to adapt to the Thai way, cuz it ain't gonna change anytime soon methinks

Morty

:o yes all the above and more!

assume a dual carriageway has 3 lanes

assume all traffic signs are mere suggestions

assume every driver is trying to take the shortest route (shortest, not quickest, as that takes foresight)

might is right, so cutting up a motorbike is their problem, trying to complain about a lorry is your problem

the scariest and worst drivers I've seen are the private coaches. Seeing them with their bling headlines looking like a circus truck coming at you at 140kmh at night is real scary! Do not assume they will slow down.

stay awake!

btw had same experiences driving in Sicily and in Rome, so is just a matter of adjusting styles, but no, I don't think I would call them good drivers - just a lot of space on main roads so tolerant of crap driving.

rych

I drive in Bangkok a lot, and frequently go to the country.

Considering that people in here has no driving education (like in Australia in where you have to go to the school, specially to drive motobikes), that driving rules are not practiced, that most the roads are bad, that motobikes do not have driving rules, many vehicles are in very bad driving conditions (buses with flat tyres), the thais are pretty good drivers in my view....well I would say better, pretty good in maneuvering

Apart of national celabration days when most motocyle drives are drunk, there is no too many accidents...

It amazes me to see in the city the bus drivers moving their immense machines through the traffic...

I have driven in some places in Europe...and I would not say that they are better drivers than in here.

Edited by torito

Compared to USA Thai drivers are tame. I have never seen the type of agressive and confrontational driving habits that I would see back home. I drive a motorcycle here, which I would never consider before. In some aeas of U.S. this would be a death wish act. I don't live in BKK, but in NE Thailand major city. There are some inexperieced drivers here, who look like they have not had a lot of practice. If anything, many cars drive to slow, for fear they will hit someone or something. I have never been "flipped off" in traffic, which used to be an everyday occurance in my city of 500,000 in SE USA. I have only seen a few accidents here. Back home it was getting common to see them frequently. When I commuted to work in Phoenix 7 years ago, I would see one or more accidents every day

Whilst there are a few Thai drivers that are considerate for other road users the Majority are not, the all seem to be on a speed mission, cutting up undertaking, driving without due care and Attention.

Bangkok I found tame with pretty good driving habits : Rural regions as was previously stated gets worse I think a large percentage of m/c and truck drivers dont have Driving licence, having seen the test they take if they do decide to embark on obtaining a licence I am not surprised.

http://driving.information.in.th/

I have noticed that many thai drivers tend to focus about 10 metres in front - so if there is an obstruction ahead or a driver ahead turning right they will not notice and then have to make a last minute adjustment rather than anticipating in advance .

They drive very fast.

Anyone?

I agree with you. Bangkok at first is very intimidating for a foreigner to drive. I've also lived in the Kingdom for years, both in Phuket and in Bangkok. I have driven all over the country, as well as extensively and daily in BKK. Here is my summation. The best drivers are in Bangkok. They are fast, quick reactions, get on with business and polite. No honking. It gets progressively worse as you head south down country. IMO, the worse drivers are in the south, many seem to be untrained in driving skills, take extraordinary risks in overtaking, and many other bad driving habits.

Totally agree with you!!!!

Living in Phuket now, in BKK before.

Gerd

i dont think that thais are good drivers. they may be able to squeeze through a space that most people would consider impossible, but does that make them a good driver, or just able to manouvre a vehicle through a small space?

i drive in phuket every day and on a daily basis encounter the following:

motorcyclists who turn left without even a sideways glance to the right to see if anyone is coming their way.

drivers who cannot stick within 'their' lane. cutting corners at every opportunity and, again, not using mirrors or eyes to see if there is anyone that they may be cutting off in the process.

drivers who load their cars up with so much stuff that the rear of the vehicle is nearly rubbing on the tyres, and the front wheels are barely touching the ground.

vehicles driving up and down the hill on the way to and from patong in the rain with bald tyres, which causes them to spin and spin. often going backwards in the process!

drivers who sit SO close to the rear of the vehicle in front that they do not stand a chance of stopping in case of the front vehicle braking suddenly. this is in wet or dry conditions.

just tonight i saw a truck tipped over onto a pick up which had made his own left lane (it was a single carriageway). i doubt the driver would have survived that one.

yesterday i saw a pick up driving along and the entire windscreen was a spiders web of cracks! how could he see through that?

i believe that a good driver takes care of all aspects of his/her driving and that means following the rules, driving safely and maintaining your vehicle to a roadworthy standard.

many, but certainly not all, thais fail miserably.

this is partly due to the fact that breaking the law only imposes an inconvenient fine on the driver. loss of points (which will be enforced) and eventual loss of licence would be the solution to that. the fact that the police stop so many people and impose 'fines' is because they get paid such crappy wages. well, enforce the laws, bring in real revenue for the police force, the wages will go up, and the roads will be safer.

yes, i do live in a dream world.

Life is cheap so a death on the roads probably doesnt worry a lot of folk. There's no doubt they are awful drivers in my opinion. The death rate is horrendous its always the same come holiday times the usual death count in the papers etc. When I buy a car Ill get a Vigo TANK and not worry about the body work my lifes more important the car is expendable. Ill be thankful when I dont have to live in BKK and often only use taxis.

drivers who load their cars up with so much stuff that the rear of the vehicle is nearly rubbing on the tyres, and the front wheels are barely touching the ground.

post-123-1180486337_thumb.jpg

The maximum load capacity of this pick-up is likely to be 700 kg. There's at least 1,000 litres of water in each of those tanks plus the gasbottle, etc. Probably amounts to 2.5 tonnes!

Check the vehicle accident stats, view the cover of the Thai papers for a few weeks, take a look around the junk yards in or near police compounds, look at the skid marks on the railings and cement barriers on the side of the road, or just drive here for a while. Nice people, terrible drivers. Best comment I have heard is that you not only have to drive for yourself, but for everyone else on the road.