Air Coolers

jonwilly

I have one which I sometimes use outside during the hot season and the air it blows is a noticeably cooler than a regular fan.

However, like many I originally bought it to use inside the house but abandoned this idea simply because it created too much humidity.

It is also extremely noisy compared to a fan. If you use it on the highest speed it sounds like a jet engine!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonwilly said:

Does anyone have any practical experience with them and able to pass on info ?

There OK to use at times and move around and good one aren't that cheap but a room that has air-con get it replaced there cheap enough you don't necessarily need the inverter type but even they are getting cheaper. 

Wife bought one 'to try.'  Like most things in Thailand it 'Sort of Works.'  if loaded with ice or the frozen block that it comes with, it will cool a bedroom in the evening, and can be used as a fan when sleeping.  Nothing like as good as a real Aircon, but probably cheaper to run.  marginally better than the ceiling fan we had before.

Given the choice, I would not buy one, but like a lot here 'Better than Nothing"

15 minutes ago, Robin said:

Wife bought one 'to try.'  Like most things in Thailand it 'Sort of Works.'  if loaded with ice or the frozen block that it comes with, it will cool a bedroom in the evening, and can be used as a fan when sleeping.  Nothing like as good as a real Aircon, but probably cheaper to run.  marginally better than the ceiling fan we had before.

Given the choice, I would not buy one, but like a lot here 'Better than Nothing"

Probably not really cheaper to run also. You either pay to buy the ice, or if you make the ice in your refrigerator you pay on extra electricity for the refrigerator. There is no such thing as a free Lunch . ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I have one which I sometimes use outside during the hot season and the air it blows is a noticeably cooler than a regular fan.

However, like many I originally bought it to use inside the house but abandoned this idea simply because it created too much humidity.

It is also extremely noisy compared to a fan. If you use it on the highest speed it sounds like a jet engine!

If this is what you have I agree about the noise. We do use it outside where it gives relief from mosquitos and does cool you down. 

IMG_20180509_112930.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 10:52 AM, The Fugitive said:

If this is what you have I agree about the noise. We do use it outside where it gives relief from mosquitos and does cool you down. 

It is worth noting that when not operating daily evaporative coolers are ideal breeding grounds for mosquitos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The units that cool the air with ice actually increase the air moisture saturation thus often increasing discomfort, especially at night.

The ones that operate like a regular ac unit, actually removing heat from the air do have their uses but are generally much more expensive to run as they are not recirculating already cooled air and they require some form of outlet; open window or a dedicated vent to exhaust hot air.

Check this out:  https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/do-swamp-coolers-work/

• Thanks 1