Google, Gmail - need alternative email account

Speedo1968

My email provider for many many years has been Loxinfo, sadly they will cease operation this year or early next year.

For now they provide out of contract date ( e.g. my yearly contract finished end of July ) with no charge until end of this year or early next year.
I had 3 separate addresses and used them for business in and out of Thailand and personal contacts.

I had a Gmail account in the past but rarely used it and, the required "current email address" was Loxinfo.
I understand it is not possible to use a Google email address for the required "current email address" for Gmail.

Can anyone recommend another email provider, preferably free, or a way round the Google requirement of a non Google account ?

$12.95  (free..ish) per year for your own domain. Several email addresses, data storage, and more.  KVC hosting.  Been using it for about 5-6 years , no problems and secure.

Edited by DaLa
spelling

Have you tried just signing up? I have multiple Gmail accounts with my main Gmail account as the recovery email address. I created 2 new ones a couple of weeks ago. (I prefer to have separate email addresses for freelance jobs.) Already having a Gmail account has never been an issue. You can also delegate one Gmail account to another.

27 minutes ago, mokwit said:

protonmail

I pay for netaddress ($26/year) but human customer service respond same day US time.

I have an outlook account as a legacy of hotmail, but having been locked out twice I just use it as a throwaway .

I have three hotmail accounts, had since they started, and never locked out. That will only happen if YOU do something incorrect.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have three hotmail accounts, had since they started, and never locked out. That will only happen if YOU do something incorrect.

Nope. That may be your experience, but not mine. The first time was when Microsoft took over and they locked seemingly everybody but you out to extract their 'phone number, The second time was for "security" reasons - maybe somebody had been trying to hack with a brute force password generator or something, I had made no changes/not done anything - they push the time risk of sorting this out onto you.

I get locked out of websites regularly (except those I pay for like netaddress), not through anything I have done - usually there is a request for my 'phone number - it is nothing I have done, it is just a tactic to try and get your 'phone number so their data is higher value.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

When was that please, I never remember it.

Probably sometime around some time between 1998 and 2012 or shortly after - I don't remeber other than it was years ago and followed either the takeover or  the rebranding

https://www.google.com/url?esrc=s&q=&rct=j&sa=U&url=https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19067634&ved=2ahUKEwiqoOXnht3yAhVvzDgGHbJnCJ4QFnoECAIQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2CqKTj4JueLontvRs-5pnN

Edited by mokwit
  • Sad 1

Just now, mikebike said:

Jan 01, 1998. I have a Hotmail address from before the buyout. Never been locked out...

Wasn't just me, others had tyhe same problem - needed a OTP to be sent to a mobile 'phone number.

You all go ahead using Outlook for serious stuff, and I will continue paying for Netaddress as my 'real' .email and use Outlook as a throwaway. Last time I got caught in a robot loop and only just got back in when I remembered the subject of an email I had sent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

500mb is not much in the scale of things.

Then sign up for a paid account at protonmail.  Last time I paid USD 79 for two years.  Well worth it.  I have 15 GB of storage, but am only using 595 MB after three years.

Or tutanota.com, another encrypted mail service, will give you 1 GB for free.

Edited by cmarshall
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

Then sign up for a paid account at protonmail.  Last time I paid USD 79 for two years.  Well worth it.  I have 15 GB of storage, but am only using 595 MB after three years.

How is it well worth it? The big three offer much larger free space. You mean just for the price of privacy? The o/p wasn't asking that tho.

Free space from free email providers per account:

Gmail 15GB

Yahoo Mail 1TB

Outlook Mail 15GB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Like using a VPN when logging into Hotmail, lost 2 accounts which I had for many a year, now 3 new accounts, still the best FREE e-mail provider for me, anyway.

Win ????

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

How is it well worth it? The big three offer much larger free space. You mean just for the price of privacy? The o/p wasn't asking that tho.

Free space from free email providers per account:

Gmail 15GB

Yahoo Mail 1TB

Outlook Mail 15GB

If you pay for protonmail account you can use the web app to move between multiple accounts, you also get access to the bridge which allows you use your own email client on your computer to receive and send encrypted mail.

I think proton offers a good service without using my mail client. I use two accounts and use password manager to bounce between the two. You get an email notification when there is a new mail anyway.

I don't see the problem for the OP setting up a google email, if you need a current or backup email address, then just get a protonmail and then a gmail account.

28 minutes ago, recom273 said:

If you pay for protonmail account you can use the web app to move between multiple accounts, you also get access to the bridge which allows you use your own email client on your computer to receive and send encrypted mail.

You can use profiles on a free web browser with multiple GMail and YahooMail accounts and any of those accounts can be 'bridged' to an email client. I use Outlook 2019 email client, I just have my main Gmail and YahooMail accounts bridged to this so I have all my mail on my computer discs. Costs nothing, been doing it 20 years or more. 15GB to 1TB of free storage online also these days.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Have you tried just signing up? I have multiple Gmail accounts with my main Gmail account as the recovery email address. I created 2 new ones a couple of weeks ago. (I prefer to have separate email addresses for freelance jobs.) Already having a Gmail account has never been an issue. You can also delegate one Gmail account to another.

OP - as i put in my question about Gmail - " I understand it is not possible to use a Google email address for the required "current email address" for Gmail. "

Will try again with single addresses.

OP - many thanks to all for the numerous suggestions.
I have managed to get 2 separate accounts.
I was trying to use my old Loxinfo account names and passwords to save having to try and remember new ones ( at my age the less the more easy ).      Managed one with same details, another with part info and a third, my most easy and favourite old Loxinfo account I screwed up and cannot reuse.

Now, where's that piece of paper ... ???

• 2 weeks later...

Gmx

German reliability, free... And still unpopular enough to where you can get a 3 character email address.   (life hack for travelling and for when you have to give your email out on the phone to people with various accents).  ????