"Charming Chiang Mai" set to reopen to foreign tourists from October 1st

webfact

6pm.jpg

file photo//Wikipedia

Foreign tourists wanting to visit Thailand under the "Charming Chiang Mai" reopening project will have to wait another month.

Phallop Saejew of the Chiang Mai tourism business association said they were 90% ready and the TAT were busy preparing all the recommendations to the CCSA for an October 1st start date.

He said that the plan will be unlike the Phuket Sandbox because Chiang Mai is not an island and has many entry and exit points.

There will be three plans that tourists can choose from:

Plan 1: You have to stay at the hotel of your choice or golf course for five days. You can't go out of the grounds.

Plan 2: 14 days limited to a designated area.

Plan 3: Seven days in Phuket then 7 in Chiang Mai.

Areas that tourists can visit are limited to approved hotels in four districts: Muang Chiang Mai, Mae Teng, Mae Rim and Doi Tao. 

At first they are targeting Singaporeans, Malaysians, South Koreans, Hong Kong folk, Japanese and Taiwanese visitors. All these nationalities are part of the bedrock of tourism in Chiang Mai, he said.

Phallop continued that later on people from low-risk countries like India and China will be welcomed. 

All this is up to CCSA decisions, however, he noted. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Like 2

TAT is planning on the arrival of 90, yes 90 people per day. That will make not one jot of difference to the tourism businesses that have been clinging on for month after month in the hope of an improved situation. Who on their right mind will come to a city where most businesses are closed, there is no nightlife, be treated as a dirty foreigner and herded like cattle! This city is not going to see any improvement until the shackles are removed.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Benmart said:

Suggest you research how many people have died from Covid 19 in Thailand. This isn't the Black Death as some would have it believed. Compared with Thai traffic deaths, it seems odd that the roads haven't been shut down.

Oh silly

2 hours ago, fangless said:

There have and are many opportunities to get the Vaccine in CM.  Just look at the threads in the CM forum.  I have already had my two shots.  I suggest you get off your behind and get it sorted yourself and stop moaning.

Another idiot with personal attacks ... Instead of insulting me, I suggest more respect ... On both occasions I have looking for a jab they have been offered Sinovac, something that this old man with serious health problems will not accept. Better collaborate in the forum to give information and explain where and what vaccines you have had.

Edited by Tarteso
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Another idiot with personal attacks ... Instead of insulting me, I suggest more respect ... On both occasions I have looking for a jab they have been offered Sinovac, something that this old man with serious health problems will not accept.

Why did you not say that in your first post where you said;

"have not received any vaccine or news in any of the applications registered to receive my jab in this country"

Two different tales!

Sinovac is NOT the only offering;  Look at this from the CM Forum

"Walk-in Pfizer vaccinations at Promenada Mall on August 31 and September 1 and McCormick Hospital on September 1 and 2 (August 30, 2021)  Location: Chiang Mai"

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tarteso said:

I, old man 62 y, who live in Chiang Mai, have not received any vaccine or news in any of the applications registered to receive my jab in this country, living practically in voluntary quarantine to avoid risks and they want to open the door to tourists... Stupids Clowns !

Tomorrow at promenada or McCormick you can get Pfizer just show up with your passport.

Edited by THAIJAMES
  • Thanks 1

First article I think Ive read without CHINESE being at the top of the list--555...CM is my homebase and is all I want to get back --hate BKK and islands even more

Secondly, as in Plan 2---What is the designated area--or borders? as i usually stay within (Mueng)Old city-CMU-ping river area pre-covd...so that works for me!!

Ive been searching daily for this news and am "hoping" this is true, but taken with a grain of salt..Im willing to do any other the "Plans" 2...or 1...and if no choice..3

Fingers crossed this happens....all I can think of is the poor Isaan grannies on Loy Kroh, broken hearted their Hansum man is stuck in the states....Hold on Teerak!!!!

Would we still have all the hoops and rules? PCR? etc?    Oh man they got my hopes up but I have to remember my past exps dealing with thainess and logic.....

Also the PIC on OP posting --TP gate

Whats missing????

• The big iron pipe at gate to keep mbike drivers from cutting thru--I can still zip by on my bike!
  • Chinese gals on steps next to gate taking pics--totally ignoring signs saying NOT to climb on it.
  • young thai boys at coffee shop sitting on curb trying to give you a flyer for crappy muay thai boxing arena
  • Tuk tuk mafia on other side by Burger King for the sweet spot to scam tourists...watch em fight over an empty spot!
  • Backpackers wandering around having just been dropped off from train and bus stop--lost as the tuk tuk boys salivate
  • Chinese wandering inside the gate coddling the diseased pigeons that "live" there to get some of that sweet bird feed
  • Local thais selling said seed that has been outlawed on several occasions by the boys in brown but making mad cash from that seed
  • Further inside gate a bunch of sticky begpackers doing a drum circle and at times Ive enjoyed watching the free hugs thing amongst scared thais
  • Some homeless thai guy wandering around looking to score one of those tasty pigeons---and lastly me, trying to score one of those chinese cuties!

On 9/1/2021 at 5:03 PM, bangkok19 said:

I'm busting to return to Chiang Mai but I doubt very much I would enjoy myself, even under the 'conditions' stated for next month.  Another T.A.T. thought bubble!  

Im happy to stay in MUENG areas as is where i usually hang pre covid---curious at how big that area goes...and just hoping they actually move forward with this....