Where to buy large trees - not palms

thaiclan

I'm looking for a few large trees, preferably like an Acacia or the African Umbrella tree - strong tall trunk and wide canopy.
I am in Pattaya and have driven around and into Chonburi but cannot find much more than palm varieties.

There was an old guy selling trees off the 331, I bought a few about 4 years ago. He has died and his shop/site has gone.

Anyone know where to buy?  

Did you ask the tree sellers at the weekend garden market on Sukhumvit? Also I drove past a Darkside place the other day and saw they had some pretty big trees for sale but didn't take notice of the types, maybe next time I'll try to grab a picture.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2021 at 5:08 PM, drtreelove said:

A fantastic place! 

Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens in CM might present a possibility, as they also have test/research facilities where one can shop for every conceivable type of flora from the region. 

If you don’t mind coming into the Bangkok/Rangsit  area there is a place at about Khlong 7 or 8 on the Rangsit -  Nakon Nayok highway that has an incredible selection of small to huge trees. It is a series of small places that line a dirt Soi that extends a kilometer or two off the highway. It looks like they must supply landscapers for large building projects. If you are interested let me know and I will try to give you a more precise location. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2021 at 7:08 AM, drtreelove said:

Do you know where inside Nong Nooch in particular?  I have visited there many times over the years (I live close by). They used to have a nursery selling plants and shrubs (no trees), but that closed down about 5 years ago or more.  I have enquired several times about buying trees but I have always been told by various people there (office, vendors, gardeners) that they don't sell.

If you have more specific info then please do share. ????

Edited by thaiclan

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 1:08 PM, thaiclan said:

Do you know where inside Nong Nooch in particular?  I have visited there many times over the years (I live close by). They used to have a nursery selling plants and shrubs (no trees), but that closed down about 5 years ago or more.  I have enquired several times about buying trees but I have always been told by various people there (office, vendors, gardeners) that they don't sell.

If you have more specific info then please do share. ????

Sorry, I missed this reply and question.  No, I am out of touch for several years. I have purchased trees from their nursery in Chiang Mai during the era when they installed the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek , but not Pattaya.  They are reportedly the largest landscape contractor in SE Asia and they have vast nursery operations.  My American friend used to be the palm and plumeria collection manager and I knew the dutch operations manager and the Thai owner, but that may have all changed.  

I'll see what I can find out and let you know.  But consider this, that Thai standards of digging and moving of large trees is usually pathetically insufficient to international best managment practices. Although there are many successful transplants, physiological stress, root damage and root rot is common and may turn up later as decline and dieback or structural failure.  It's best to plant smaller container trees and have patience for a more healthy root system development, natural growth and structural integrity. 

OK, I have made contact with a manager at Nong Nooch. He replys that yes they do have retail trees for sale but no catalog. So we have to provide some information to narrow down the search and availability. 

Nong Nooch would have better tree growing and tree moving and planting standards than most side of the road providers. 

If you are still looking for a tree or trees, PM me, or preferrably email to my TV user name at g mail dot com. 

No, I am not looking for any financial interest in this, just happy to help a tree lover to connect. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drtreelove said:

OK, I have made contact with a manager at Nong Nooch. He replys that yes they do have retail trees for sale but no catalog. So we have to provide some information to narrow down the search and availability. 

Nong Nooch would have better tree growing and tree moving and planting standards than most side of the road providers. 

If you are still looking for a tree or trees, PM me, or preferrably email to my TV user name at g mail dot com. 

No, I am not looking for any financial interest in this, just happy to help a tree lover to connect. 

Thanks for all your info and help. I will PM you.

The guy on the 331 I bought from did a great job of delivering and planting the trees. He advised me not to plant for 3 months and when the time came he organised the crane and his men constructed metal frames to support the trees for the first 1 year+.  I was very impressed and the trees now are larger than my house!

I found a very informative site here which lists the types of trees.  I have discovered that the umbrella/acacia type tree I am seeking is call a Cham Cha or Kam Kram here in Thailand.

http://www.fao.org/3/AC775E/AC775E03.htm

19 hours ago, thaiclan said:

Thanks for all your info and help. I will PM you.

The guy on the 331 I bought from did a great job of delivering and planting the trees. He advised me not to plant for 3 months and when the time came he organised the crane and his men constructed metal frames to support the trees for the first 1 year+.  I was very impressed and the trees now are larger than my house!

I found a very informative site here which lists the types of trees.  I have discovered that the umbrella/acacia type tree I am seeking is call a Cham Cha or Kam Kram here in Thailand.

http://www.fao.org/3/AC775E/AC775E03.htm

This from the Nong Nooch manager: 

Acacia are brittle wood and often brake. Most are also potential invasive so we do not produce those.

Not sure what a african umbrella tree is but a quick google shows it is a acacia as well. see above.

Both species are from the cool and dry african savanna and that is very different from Thai climate which is tropical.

I would recommend Central american Mahogny trees and also thai native trees like most Ficus.

Cham Cha is 'Raintree' Albizia saman, (formerly Samanea saman) see my article attached.  It is a great choice but only if you have the space for it to grow into maturity, they are a very large growing/spreading tree.  

Hawng nok yung (tail of the peacock), Delonix regia is another common large unbrella shaped tree, with striking red flowering. One of my favorites. "Flame tree" , "Flamboyant", "Royal Poinciana" in Hawaii. 

Delonix regia, Chiang Mai.JPG

Raintree (2018_05_25 14_55_25 UTC).pdf

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I believe this location to buy trees is still in operation. 

If you don’t mind coming into the Bangkok/Rangsit  area there is a place at about Khlong 7 or 8 on the Rangsit -  Nakon Nayok highway that has an incredible selection of small to huge trees. It is a series of small places that line a dirt Soi that extends a kilometer or two off the highway. It looks like they must supply landscapers for large building projects. If you are interested let me know and I will try to give you a more precise location.