Browsing Interesting Posts Here: I cannot help but think of Alex Honnold

GammaGlobulin

It is just too easy to post a message, and hope to become famous by doing so. We have it too easy, posting here, and elsewhere, in order to seek fame.

I mean, Alex is a good writer, who would love to post, somewhere, maybe even here. Also, he can climb El Capitan with nothing but his fingers and chalk.

This is not something so easy to do. Have you tried it?

Should we not require all posters here to first climb El Capitan with ropes before posting, even if we do not require them to climb ropeless with nothing but chalk?

I just mean that, it is one thing to post here, so easily, and a completely different thing to climb El Capitan using nothing but chalk, and then to post here.

Let’s not get too carried away by our great gifts.

Also, read Honnold’s book, maybe.

AOTW.png.6f16a6c4fd095e7bb3ee7cb0cd152493.png

No one can do what he has done, nor would anyone wish to.

• Haha 1

The book concerning Honnold's preparation for his greatest and most challenging climb is well worth reading. 

I forget the title of the book.  I doubt it was written by Jon Krakauer.  But, not sure.

Yet, the actual climb up El Cap must have been unforgettable.

You should read it.

Maybe you need a good read, these days.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

57 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Should we not require all posters here to first climb El Capitan with ropes before posting, even if we do not require them to climb ropeless with nothing but chalk?

I just mean that, it is one thing to post here, so easily, and a completely different thing to climb El Capitan using nothing but chalk, and then to post here.

Yes, it certainly seem that you are right and fully understand the subject. Now it´s just to wait and see if you will heed your own advice.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, it certainly seem that you are right and fully understand the subject. Now it´s just to wait and see if you will heed your own advice.

This was the point of this post.

Thank you.

(Still.... Let us remain amazed and in awe of this man's magnificent achievement. He is truly a world-class champion. And, maybe, a champion in various ways, as well.)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

15 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Still.... Let us remain amazed and in awe of this man's magnificent achievement. He is truly a world-class champion. And, maybe, a champion in various ways, as well.

Yes, really amazing! What I see is an idiot with no responsibilities in the world, that just do things for fame and his own egoistic self confidence.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yes, really amazing! What I see is an idiot with no responsibilities in the world, that just do things for fame and his own egoistic self confidence.

I do not see it this way.

Obviously, most of us would not wish to risk death in order to climb a sheer sheet of rock, for no purpose.

However, the real meaning of the achievement is mostly motivational, to the rest of us mere mortals.

IF this guy can accomplish an almost superhuman task, then how did he do it?

He did it due to focus on the task, and by denial of fear, and by working very hard.

Therefore, it seems plausible that most of us could accomplish more than we have, just through harder work, and denial of our fears.

As you say, .....  Who really cares about climbing a very large rock?  And, this is not what climbing is about, I would imagine.

I could go on, and on, and on....  about this.

No need to do so, since everybody knows what mountain climbing is all about. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This was the point of this post.

Thank you.

(Still.... Let us remain amazed and in awe of this man's magnificent achievement. He is truly a world-class champion. And, maybe, a champion in various ways, as well.)

C'mon man, admit that he wuz lucky not to fall off. Had he done so most IMO would say he was an idiot for climbing without ropes.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

As you say, .....  Who really cares about climbing a very large rock?  And, this is not what climbing is about, I would imagine.

The point is to get to the top, and not kill yourself on the way up or down. That he did it without any safety precautions will not make an iota of difference to the vast majority of the world's population, many of whom are just trying to stay alive.

• Like 1

What annoys me about such is that millions of hard working people will go to work every day and do great things for human kind, but will have no recognition and few thanks for doing so, while someone that risks his life to climb a rock will have his 15 minutes of fame, and probably make money out of it as well.

I don't really understand how your post can make some sort of bizarre comparison between the difficulties of rock climbing with the ease of posting on social media, but - - - 

if we are going to travel down that road then I'd like to introduce you to Hong Kong's Airin T, political activist and urban explorer. Al jazeera ran an article on her about 4 years ago, I think. She doesn't only risk her life clambering up skyscrapers, she risks it taking on the Chinese authorities.

Now there is someone that I have enormous respect for.   

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

I don't really understand how your post can make some sort of bizarre comparison between the difficulties of rock climbing with the ease of posting on social media, but - - - 

if we are going to travel down that road then I'd like to introduce you to Hong Kong's Airin T, political activist and urban explorer. Al jazeera ran an article on her about 4 years ago, I think. She doesn't only risk her life clambering up skyscrapers, she risks it taking on the Chinese authorities.

Now there is someone that I have enormous respect for.   

In both cases, people such as this are risking life and limb.

Both take risks to achieve a goal.

And, maybe, each are inspired by the other.

No one gets anywhere, out of the ordinary, without risk taking.