Accident On The Hill

donna

driving home tonight the traffic in patong was shocking from the beach road right up to the mountain. i did my usual and slipped in a favourite cd - hunters and collectors it was today. i relaxed and accepted the thought that it was gonna take me ages to get home due to the rain. in fact, from my hotel to the temple took me around 45 minutes!

when i started to head up the hill out of patong, i saw the reason for the delay. just before the last sharp bend at the bottom of the hill with all the billboards, a big sip-lor carrying goodness knows what had tipped over right onto a pick up truck in the left hand lane. i doubt that the driver of the pick-up would have been lucky enough to escape with his life.

but what a horrible accident to see. the truck was still on its side and there must have been 100 bystanders looking on. a crane was already there waiting to lift off the truck, but because of the angle of the road in that area i suspect that it will be a difficult task.

the thing is that this area of the road is single lane. i know its not right to point fingers and i guess fate took its strange course, but had the driver been following the road rules, i suspect that he may be sitting down to dinner with his family right now rather than being either in ICU or worse....

very sad. what a waste.

too true thaigerd. the hill is in need of a serious re-surface. its polished like a piece of glass and is dangerous enough on a good day. when the rain starts, it just goes to pieces.

i always keep my distance from the vehicle in front, and never get involved in the 'make your own second lane' brigade. its just too dangerous. the last corner, where the accident happened, is the worst one on the road too.

too true thaigerd. the hill is in need of a serious re-surface. its polished like a piece of glass and is dangerous enough on a good day. when the rain starts, it just goes to pieces.

i always keep my distance from the vehicle in front, and never get involved in the 'make your own second lane' brigade. its just too dangerous. the last corner, where the accident happened, is the worst one on the road too.

Any more stories about the Patong / Katu tunnel? :o

Khun Kiki

Does anyone know how the traffic is moving on the hill now? I'll be headed to Patong soon from Phuket Town but am considering going via Chalong and Karon.

I've heard a vague report that vehicles can get out of Patong via the hill but not into Patong.

Thanks to anyone who can provide an update.