Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Taking The Test

Fellas,

Any advice? I have decided I am going to do the Thai driving test and apply for a thai licence, as my UK drivers lic is lost amongst boxes in storage in the UK. As I have not yet bought a car yet, do you have exp/knowledge if the test centre can provide a car for the test? Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards,

KD :o

Pending on where you take your test.The visual test is kind of a joke. The brake pedal was mounted Backwards & the periphrial test is like a video game. You have 2 points to line up perfectly & stand 30 feet away 10 meters . 4 Farangs initially flunked (I was one of them.) They let me go up to the box & look at what the hel_l I was lining up & got it on the next try.

The written test was a heck of alot easier, I was expecting a lot of technical questions, but the Thai's are not all that technical!. If you plan on riding a motorcycle The written test is the same as a car.

I took my test outside Pattaya. They will let you walk the course before you take the test, that makes it a cynch to pass. The only tricky part was it had a different stop for cars & motorbikes & I stopped at the car instead of the bikes stop. good luck. It is all in Thai so if you don't understand the track they use best to have someone that understands english show you the track.

Got my license at Sukhumvit Soi #99 couple months ago. You will need a letter from embassy or immigration to certify your address, a doctor certificate, photos, copy of non-imi visa ( I have a 60 day tourist visa and it's fine). If you have a license from another country, all you need to do is depth perception test, color blindness and peripheral vision test.

If not, have to go through the whole day ordeal of the above tests, follow by sitting through a 2hr class with instructor and video watching only in Thai language. After that, the multiple choices written test on a computer terminal (available in English).

After lunch, then the driving test. It consists of three parts. Driving forward and reverse and not hitting object. Side parking, both wheel on the left must touch the white line next to curb and front wheel must stop between the white lines. Follow by parallel parking.

Rental car is available at the testing center for 100 baht a pop. Should you fail the driving test come back 7 days later.

Im confused, whats the difference between side parking and parallel parking.

Side parking is where cars are parked side by side like in car park, parallel parking is where cars are parked in parallel like when parked at the side of the road.

totster :o

Ahh I see now,(seemed abit basic to get tested on)

By the way are the hire cars generaly auto or manual gear? Also, I have been reading around and I have found various other things people have been tested on such as hill starts etc.. maybe it changes depending on where you take the test.

Edited by madjbs

Ahh I see now,(seemed abit basic to get tested on)

By the way are the hire cars generaly auto or manual gear? Also, I have been reading around and I have found various other things people have been tested on such as hill starts etc.. maybe it changes depending on where you take the test.

You can choose either auto or manual gear, both types are available for rental.

I went for a Thai driving licence and it was easy.

Just fill out some papers show the document where I live and my Dutch driver license then go for the eye test.

Completed succesfully the test and went back and waited for my documents to be reviewed and signed /stamped.

Once everything done I got my one year license.

After a year and half I went back and had my license extended for 5 more years within 10 minutes.

Kind regards,

Alex

I went for a Thai driving licence and it was easy.

Just fill out some papers show the document where I live and my Dutch driver license then go for the eye test.

Completed succesfully the test and went back and waited for my documents to be reviewed and signed /stamped.

Once everything done I got my one year license.

After a year and half I went back and had my license extended for 5 more years within 10 minutes.

Kind regards,

Alex

Which test centre did you go to?