Please help, father with 2 small kids, schools at Hua Hin (someone with experience)

Omega7

Hi all, 

i have 2 half thai half europien kids, 4 and 6 years old.

we will be moving back to Hua Hin this year...  i really appreciate if somebody can share some experience with schools in Hua hin area

I really confuse with many things. like WHAT ENGLISH PROGRAMME REALLY MEAN? (i wrote 2 schools none reply back yet :((

my kids dont really speak thai, only english.

we also cant afford International scool, that half million baht they ask at hua hin international scool/ kid is a bit crazy for us.

im looking at 3 schools in particular:

1. wittayalai school  which show they have english program, and price is teh best around 90.000 for a year

2. patravadi school  also have english program but price a bit high  about 150.000 a year

3.  somtawin,   price about 120 per year, but its a bit far off the city

if somebody can explain to me what English program means,  all subjects thought in English?  do my kids gonna have serious problem not speaking  thai in these schools???

also any experience from anybody from above 3 schools would be greatly appreciated.

im really in need some advise

thank you so much

a desperate father

3 hours ago, Omega7 said:

if somebody can explain to me what English program means,  all subjects thought in English?  do my kids gonna have serious problem not speaking  thai in these schools???

Most subjects will be taught in English, but don't worry young kids will soon pick the local language up.

• Thanks 1

I don't know about those schools, but there are different kinds of EP programs.  Typically, about 1/2 of the subjects will be taught in English, hopefully by NES (Native English Speakers).  It's not unusual for a school to hire Filipinos, Indians, Danes, Dutch, Nigerians etc., especially to teach Science, Math, Health, etc...  personally, I would be wary of schools that have non-NES teachers teaching English as a subject.

Most EP programs have smaller class sizes, usually limited to 25 students for primary and 35 students for secondary.  They typically have AC in their classrooms, along with computers/projectors and often the students have tablets or laptops that they can use for various lessons.

Pay a visit to the schools if you can, in addition to asking about the things I mentioned above, find out how well the people in Administration can speak English.  If they cannot speak English, how do they communicate with the teachers?  Do they just issue occasional badly worded directives and then complain when the foreign teachers don't understand or comply?  Or do they have at least one or two staff members who speak English well?

Also ask about faculty turnover.  Do most teachers stay for at least 3 or 4 years, or do they have a majority of new teachers every year.  Without some continuity in the faculty, the teachers cannot really teach effectively.

Edited by Callmeishmael