Rayong to Hua Hin. Best route?

bbabythai

Obviously I will open up google maps when I do drive Rayong to HH. 

But I have some big printed maps and was trying to see which roads to take. Can you correct me if Im on the right track here:

- Starting in Rayong drive up the 344 road

- Then hwy 3

- Then hwy 9

- Then hwy 35

- Then hwy 4 down to HH

Is this correct? We obviously want to avoid bkk

thanks

If you're out in Klaeng take the 344 up, if near Muang Rayong take the 36.

Switch to the number 7, take the exit to Chonburi, go through the Chonburi bypass to the 34, go up the elevated tollway.

Exit to Rama II

Take Rama II to 35

Then 4 to Cha Am exit

Then follow down to Hua Hin

Don't take number 3 up. It's often packed and has many traffic lights.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wprime said:

If you're out in Klaeng take the 344 up, if near Muang Rayong take the 36.

Switch to the number 7, take the exit to Chonburi, go through the Chonburi bypass to the 34, go up the elevated tollway.

Exit to Rama II

Take Rama II to 35

Then 4 to Cha Am exit

Then follow down to Hua Hin

Don't take number 3 up. It's often packed and has many traffic lights.

Thanks for the info. I dont really drive around thailand a lot. 

I hate to ask but do you know the names of the towns on each of these signs that Im looking out for above? Or is it easiest to just look for the number on each sign period. 

thanks

I live in Rayong and have made the trip to Hua Hin (and beyond) many times over the past 5 years and I've discovered the BEST route can be different depending on day of the week, time of day, road construction, accidents, etc.

In general, the directions given above are good, but my advice, use Google Maps and just follow their directions.  Google Maps uses live data gathered from everyone's phones that are also traveling and allowing their positions to be tracked, meaning the software sees slow areas and traffic jams in real time and will direct you around them whenever possible.

If you're a morning person and you really, really don't like heavy traffic,  leave Rayong at 2:00am or 3:00am and you'll find the roads rather empty.  

Safe travels ???? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Thanks for the info. I dont really drive around thailand a lot. 

I hate to ask but do you know the names of the towns on each of these signs that Im looking out for above? Or is it easiest to just look for the number on each sign period. 

thanks

The names of the destinations are what I've listed above except once you've exited to Chonburi, follow the signs to Bangkok. At the end of the bypass, you should see the elevated highway, exit to the left to take it (follow the blue signs). You don't need to take it but it'll be a lot faster (and safer) than going under and the exit to Rama II is a lot more obvious from above.

When you switch from the 35 to the 4, you need to take the road as it splits off left (both ways are the number 4). The signs will say they're going to Petchaburi.

• 4 weeks later...

A suggestion or two:

When coming from Chonburi towards Bangkok, once you go past the Suvab. airport area, you will see an IKEA store on the left.  Exit at that ramp for Rama II,  but stay left because if you don't, you will end up having to find a u-turn and end up with some extra frustrations.

Also, just before the exit to Cha Am from #35, you will see road signs showing that staying right will bring you to Ratchaburi. 

There is one more potential confusion and that would be once you go past the Santorini Park ( ferris wheel) again stay left.  If you don't you will be on the Hua Hin bypass. 

If you do the trip, have a safe and fun journey.