Squirrels are starving at Dongtan beach after the flood, please feed them, they are even following people on the sidewalk to get some food !

l4ml4m

hi,

Squirrels are starving at Dongtan beach after the flood, please feed them, they are even following people on the sidewalk to get some food !

They come down from trees to beg, I think the rain has destroyed their nest ?

We can give food, but what else can we do for them ?

Please help !

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, l4ml4m said:

but what else can we do for them ?

Plant more trees..the local government have massacred most of the old shade trees on Pattaya beach and seem intent to do the same in Jomtien.

I think the squirrels will find enough food on their own  they are quite smart.

• Like 1

Squirrels or chipmunks?

Got a pet one now since one made a nest on my truck engine block. and then left 1 young behind.

Pity they are losing the trees.... 

If they are following people they are not nestlings which are blind and deaf....

They are rather cute....

• Like 1

The squirrels have prospered there in the past several years. One element of that was the delight taken by those tourists who gave them goodies. Chinese tourists were especially amused by them.

So, yes, let's also be generous to the squirrels while we are helping the unemployed struggle through this.

They like all kinds of nuts, of course, but they also enjoy watermelon. How about sunflower seeds? 

3 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

I would gladly agree with you regarding pigeons. They are charmless pests. 

Squirrels, though, have plenty of predators here (snakes, eagles, feral dogs, and more)  and will never do 1% of the damage done by tourism.

Luckily I haven't had any tourists burrow into my attic space....yet....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

I would gladly agree with you regarding pigeons. They are charmless pests. 

Squirrels, though, have plenty of predators here (snakes, eagles, feral dogs, and more)  and will never do 1% of the damage done by tourism.

Cats of course......

On 9/10/2021 at 7:43 AM, tonray said:

Feeding wild animals is almost never a good idea. Just creates dependency and the need to continue ad infinitum. The monkey problem in Lopburi and other places is an example of how good intentions can create a nightmare. Squirrels when their populations are left unchecked work their way into attics and crawlspaces, chewing thru communications cables, insulation and everything else when nesting. 

Saw a fully grown monkey on Soi 3 off Beach Road the other day. Goodness knows where he came from; maybe staying in the A-One hotel (he bounded our of their car park and made off for 2nd Road). The soi dogs were barking furiously but none went in pursuit of the trespasser.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, thepdru said:

Those squirrels are so cute ❤️

I am not sure that they can still feed themselves when they have been fed by tourists for years ? and they really seem hungry. What do you think ?

The one I had has 'fled the nest'.... it was a male and I figured a biological switch occurred and off it went. I expect there are plenty of food sources where I am, palm trees, star apple etc etc If they have been fed by tourists for years their numbers will exceed the natural food sources, but I expect they will just look further afield. 

13 hours ago, thepdru said:

I am not sure that they can still feed themselves when they have been fed by tourists for years ? and they really seem hungry. What do you think ?

When the crustaceans migrate west for the equinox, the wombat becomes the 7-11 poster child.

On 9/16/2021 at 5:05 PM, thepdru said:

Just feed them. They are a lot less hassle, cleaner and more cute than Soi dogs, and Thais feed them everyday.

On 9/17/2021 at 6:50 AM, jacko45k said:

The one I had has 'fled the nest'.... it was a male and I figured a biological switch occurred and off it went. I expect there are plenty of food sources where I am, palm trees, star apple etc etc If they have been fed by tourists for years their numbers will exceed the natural food sources, but I expect they will just look further afield. 

Obviously they will prefer junk food if they can get it LOL. We do too.