ESim (AIS) Problem

rbkk

My 16 year old daughter has been working and saving up to finally buy herself an iPhone. On Saturday she got the iPhone 11 (New) no contract for 17,900 Baht. She bought it from an AIS Shop. True sim as primary number.  Yesterday she got an AIS esim. When she makes a call to either of the family (3 different phones) we can't hear her. She went to a local Telewiz and returned home. Still not working. Should she try another carrier? Why is the esim such a poor connection? Are Thailand esim's just unreliable? The iphone 11 technology is from 2 years ago but Wifi6 and esim's are not common here yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2021 at 11:54 AM, rbkk said:

My 16 year old daughter has been working and saving up to finally buy herself an iPhone. On Saturday she got the iPhone 11 (New) no contract for 17,900 Baht. She bought it from an AIS Shop. True sim as primary number.  Yesterday she got an AIS esim. When she makes a call to either of the family (3 different phones) we can't hear her. She went to a local Telewiz and returned home. Still not working. Should she try another carrier? Why is the esim such a poor connection? Are Thailand esim's just unreliable? The iphone 11 technology is from 2 years ago but Wifi6 and esim's are not common here yet.

There is no problem with e-sim. The connection is no different. The iPhone 11 has no problems connecting to WiFi.

I have the iPhone SE 2 it’s connections are the same as the iPhone 11 I’m using an AIS number which is on the e-sim. 

I can virtually guarantee that the problem is one of the settings is misconfigured or she has lightning headphones without a microphone plugged in.

but the troubleshooting is simple. Click the “Support app” click “more” scroll down to “phone calls” check  the articles if they don’t help then she can drop to the bottom of the screen and either use online chat with AppleCare or call them. They are extremely helpful and will diagnose the problem. In the extremely unlikely event that there is actually a fault in the phone they will arrange replacement or repair.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Sorry @rbkk I don’t get here often. Did she get it sorted?

Not sure! She did say "esim not supported in Thailand" to me the other day. That can't be right. I need to get an update. I'll ask her when I see her.......teenagers.......

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

Not sure! She did say "esim not supported in Thailand" to me the other day. That can't be right. I need to get an update. I'll ask her when I see her.......teenagers.......

She was absolutely given incorrect information. Thailand does support the eSIM ais does all the eSIM I have my iPhone SE 2, bought in Thailand, with an eSIM and Sim card you can see that from the pictures under.

BCA55851-0FE0-4FC9-AD44-B627F4DCB214.thumb.jpeg.fe8642b5d20ebd5ffb521fa0b0f9e023.jpegC9CC188A-4951-4B19-BA07-EAA8B2FADBD2.thumb.jpeg.23a26141e2cc8ebcc1fa31ffd0c87fa6.jpeg

However the problem probably was that she went to a telly which shop not an AIS shop ais shops can do things Telewis  was shops can’t, Telewis with shops are basically sales of new products not the details of the ais account.

If she needs convincing then I strongly suggest that you call 1175 with her get the English-speaking help ask them if eSIMs our supported in Thailand, they will tell you absolutely they are, then ask them to talk to her and explain exactly where when and how she can get the eSIM installed. She will need her ID card, her phone, the Sim card with the number that she wants to transfer to an eSIM, that number must already be registered to her, it will take about 5 minutes to do, doesn’t matter if it’s a prepaid Sim card or a post pay Sim card they both work. I have a prepay Sim card as my EE Sim and a post-pay Sim card as my regular Sim the reason for that is when I go abroad I can use the Sim card taking out the Thai one and putting one in from the current country I visit

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1