Buddha G-strings Taken Off Site After Thai Fury

LaoPo

Regardless of the Thai government's motive for getting upset at Buddha G-strings, the concern for any serious Buddhist is that Buddha images serve as a reminder to be mindful of the present moment. They will soon lose that function if they are all over commercial products, particularly since consumerism runs counter to Buddhism. But the Buddha is cool for Westerners, so I suppose it's only a matter of time before some overseas company comes up with a Buddha Beer...

I agree with what you say. Although I'm not a Buddhist I like to think I live my life at least to a semblance of Buddhist tendencies one of these being respect. You can believe in a religion, or philosophy, or not as you wish but you should always respect other's rights to believe in what you do not. This respect should extend to showing respect to the images that the various religions hold sacred or in high esteem. The fact that in the west, UK in my experience, all respect of all aspects of personal life has been discarded and the quality of life has been degraded is all too apparent.

Unless, that is, you believe in your inalienable right to desecrate anything you wish anytime you wish. In that case you should not complain about others rights to desecrate your ownership of objects of your particular religion such as plasma screen TV's, laptop computers, digital camcorders etc.

The Aussies have a good saying "The tall Poppy Syndrome" i.e. try to cut down the winners,

bring them down to your own level, cos you can't possibly hope to reach theirs :o

The poor undereducated, unwashed masses have no recourse but to BITCH !

Naka.

I would like to see anybody try and BBQ my Bangkaew whilst he is still alive, he would rip them to pieces

Solen01--You have a Bangkaew? Had one too till some nice neighbor poisoned her. She was the sweetest thing, but a trouble maker, that needed constant attention.

Know where I can get another?

Got my Jackal from Phitsanulok (he's a pedigree, that means nothing really though), yeah great dogs. :o

Blimey! There already is a Buddha Beer in Australia, but that's its unofficial name and the bottle is embossed with an image of the Chinese "Laughing Buddha" which isn't a buddha at all.

luckybeer4.jpg

Buddha Beer should be served at Buddha Bar :o

Exactly. It's just unbelievable that some people are trying to say that it's OK for Americans to put Buddha image on G strings because some bad monks had BBQ'ed a dog.

Would it be OK for Thais to piss on a cross or a picture of Jesus because some Catholic priests have molested children?

Some people.

Yes, it would be ok. Go ahead.

Symbols are for simpel-minded people.

Its not ok for Americans to put a print of the said "Buddha" on a pair of pants? - but its perfectly OK for Thai Buddhist monks to get drunk & capture and BBQ/ slowly kill a dog (search the threads) 5555!

Who said it was ok to BBQ the dog?

Again, this is a typical good old greed, where people just walk over other cultures as long as money can be made.

Just as the 2 main countries in the world that actually make underwear of their own flag, but get angry if someone burns it. The flag that is, not their underwear.

And then we have the ignorant fool with the remark "Buddhism, lol!"

Americans, lol! (Silly comment isnt it?)

Belive it or not, I know most of you do, but there ARE actually some good Buddhists around.

With so many monks in this country, and many of them being monks just for a few weeks, it just have to be some bad apples.

Exactly. It's just unbelievable that some people are trying to say that it's OK for Americans to put Buddha image on G strings because some bad monks had BBQ'ed a dog.

Would it be OK for Thais to piss on a cross or a picture of Jesus because some Catholic priests have molested children?

Some people.

Apparently it is OK for some Thai youngsters to wear shirts with Nazi symbols on them. Sensitivity is a two way street!

NONONO, thats were you are totally wrong pal.

It is NOT ok by anyone to wear a t-shirt if the symbol is a Nazi one.

Those kids are as stupid and ignorant (maybe due to poor education) as anyone else that want to be cool or make money, regardless if they hurt other peoples feelings.

I talk about hurting many peoples feelings, not just one here and there.

A few months back a couple of Thai blokes came round to my GF's family home to replace some mosquito netting and 1 of them was wearing an SS t-shirt. My GF's German Stepfather was none too impressed but I must say it made me laugh.

As for the Buddha image knickers seems they got off quite lightly all things considered, if they'd made them with the image of the head man of another certain world religion there would be fatwas and maybe a beheading or 2.

Edited by keebone

I think the Thai's are letting the company concerned off the hook very mildly.

Could you imagine what would happen if an American company had a "g" string or sex toy with either an effigy of mohammed or a picture of a menorah on it?

Big problem...

Soundman.

ummm...how about the 'baby jesus butt plug' type it in google images to take a look...

(snip)

Apparently it is OK for some Thai youngsters to wear shirts with Nazi symbols on them. Sensitivity is a two way street!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

This article is about the symbol. For the town, see Swastika, Ontario.

A "right-facing" Swastika in a decorative Hindu formThe swastika (from Sanskrit svástika स्वास्तिक ) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles, in either right-facing (卐) or left-facing (卍) forms. The term is derived from Sanskrit svasti, meaning well-being. The Thai greeting sawasdee is from the same root, carrying the same implication.

Thanks for posting this, I hope some people will learn from it. Cheers.

Although there have been no new posts on this thread for several hours, the moderators have received several reports about offending posts.

Any more personal attacks or flaming other members will be rewarded by immediate suspension from the forum.

Be warned.

Some people.

IMO,yes it would be.

personally, I get sick of people complaining about their religion and what you can not do or say for fear of offending somebody.<deleted> em! :D

If you don't want to be offended by the Budda,or the JC or the shiva doggie undies...don't look at the site.Simple really. :o

I totally agree with this reply. No reason to take people's freedoms away b/c other people are offended. Boohoo!!!

Mods, I think this topic has gone far enough and before it ends in even more 'sensitive' talk about any religion, I kindly request you to close this thread.

But, of course, it's up to you Ladies&Gents.

LaoPo :o