Thai Tourism Reopening Plan Stokes Concerns of Virus Resurgence

webfact

Concerns?

There will be a massive resurgence of the virus once anything opens, tourists or not.

The more places that open the more it will spread and this is regardless of how many are vaccinated.

Winter is coming and we're all in for a big 'surprise' ????

Watch Europe / Israel - what happens there will repeat here....

Inevitably with many more tourists coming in, even fully vaccinated, will mean more of them will need hospitalization for Covid at some point as it did happen with the sandbox tourists in Phuket, is Thailand ready to provide such a sudden surge of demand for medical attention among other issues that will arise with influx of tourists?...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Concerns?

There will be a massive resurgence of the virus once anything opens, tourists or not.

The more places that open the more it will spread and this is regardless of how many are vaccinated.

Those cycles have already been witnessed and practiced throughout numerous countries of the world - of the last six months or so. All resulting in not such pleasant scenarios. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Coverage should exceed 70% before reopening because fully vaccinated people can still get infected and spread the virus,

If, and I say If, with the force of a computer programs logical If statement, then reopening will never happen.  I doubt that 70% of the Thai population will ever be vaccinated by any date in time.  Time will tell what Thailand really decides to do

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

● Doctors warn of potential squeeze on Thailand’s health system

● Risks remain with nationwide vaccination rate under 20%

This is all you need to know.

At first the government said it's safe to open at 70% fully vaccinated.

Now it's 20%....  lets go for it, what can possibly go wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Concerns?

No need to look overseas, just look at what's happening in Phuket...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Inevitably with many more tourists coming in, even fully vaccinated, will mean more of them will need hospitalization for Covid at some point as it did happen with the sandbox tourists in Phuket, is Thailand ready to provide such a sudden surge of demand for medical attention among other issues that will arise with influx of tourists?...

No.

1 hour ago, gk10012001 said:

If, and I say If, with the force of a computer programs logical If statement, then reopening will never happen.  I doubt that 70% of the Thai population will ever be vaccinated by any date in time.  Time will tell what Thailand really decides to do

They've already decided.

With at best 20%-30% fully vaccinated they're going to open.

I hope the hospitals are ready.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The problem is no one has ANY idea of the infection rate in Thailand. Reporting and muppets commenting on the number of positive PCR tests is very misleading. The only useful statistic is % fully vaccinated and in particular % sick, old and pregnant fully vaccinated.

So 20% is pathetic for a country producing vaccine. The lack of vaccines for the old and sick is criminal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Cut the number of covid tests performed down, that will stop any virus resurgence in its tracks.

Worked for all of 2019 & 2020 when Prayut & Annutin were claiming they were so smart & see no tests no infections....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

I doubt that 70% of the Thai population will ever be vaccinated by any date in time. 

Ii agree, mainly becuase the only thing I believe about any statistics on anything published, be it cases, tests or vaccines delivered, none are accurate either because they are manipulated, up or down to suit, or measures on this scale are beyond such a disorganised, flawed-tech or paper-based administration.