Chaing Dao region any farang? Specifically around Arunothai.

MrDudley

I'm looking at traveling there in January... hopefully! Specifically around the Arunothai village area. Can anyone tell me anything about the place any expat bars or sites to see. All that I can find is mind blowing Yunnan noodles. Anything to look out for? It's very close to the Myanmar border. There doesn't seem to be a lot on the internet. Long term Thailand traveler. Totally new area for me. 

Thanks 

Never seen any resident farang when I go to the market there, or any sign of farang hangout places. Definitely check out Mikrocosmos craft beer restaurant in Chiang Dao (not open every day) for really good craft beer and very good farang food (like wild boar sausage, Belgium frites). Hipster kind of place, but if you start talking beer you’ve got a conversation.

know a couple of younger guys who like to go adventuring up in that area. They’ve strayed over the border a few times and run into some heavy Wa (yes, Wa, not Shan) soldiers with big automatic weapons, so keep that in mind.

• Thanks 1

been to arunothai a few times.  quiet place, good noodles, shuts down early.  didnt see anything exciting at the Myanmar border road that i went to explore.  just a dirt road that ended at a fence with army guards and farms surrounding.   nearest expat hangout spot i know of on that route is Cafe My Day Off in Mueang Ngai.

Edited by captainjackS
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. So It's fair to say that it's too dangerous to cross the border into Myanmar given the current situation. Can anyone recommend some reasonable accommodation up that way. Does anyone know of I can hire a motorbike in Chaing Dao. Experienced rider believe me! 

The border crossing at Arunothai has never officially opened. All the borders are currently closed to recreational travel, I believe. While the political situation in the area of Myranmar next to Arunothai is relatively stable, the area around Arunothai has historically and currently been a place where drugs cross the border. When the army intercepts groups carrying loads through the mountains, shootouts are common. 

If you want to line up a good bike, Chiang Mai would have a far larger selection. In Chiang Dao, the managers of Dek Doi Khamin Springs love that kind of stuff and have done adventure tours in the area. Check with them. As far as staying in the Arunothai area, maybe better to start closer to Chiang Dao for a few days and look around there on day trips to find something. Also, the son/manager of the new food court in Arunothai is trilingual and very well connected. Seemed fairly friendly. 

1 hour ago, islandguy said:

The border crossing at Arunothai has never officially opened. All the borders are currently closed to recreational travel, I believe. While the political situation in the area of Myranmar next to Arunothai is relatively stable, the area around Arunothai has historically and currently been a place where drugs cross the border. When the army intercepts groups carrying loads through the mountains, shootouts are common. 

If you want to line up a good bike, Chiang Mai would have a far larger selection. In Chiang Dao, the managers of Dek Doi Khamin Springs love that kind of stuff and have done adventure tours in the area. Check with them. As far as staying in the Arunothai area, maybe better to start closer to Chiang Dao for a few days and look around there on day trips to find something. Also, the son/manager of the new food court in Arunothai is trilingual and very well connected. Seemed fairly friendly. 

OK thanks for the reply. I'm tossing up car hire as well. Might be more practical. 

• Haha 1

Hi,

Not much at Arunothai and now its closed to outsiders due to the virus. It will probably be opened in January but who knows ?

2 nice road loops :

- Arunothai , come back to military check point and take right just at the fork there (or go with google map and cut about 500m to 1k after the Arunothai gate), then there is Muang Na (not to mix with Muang Ngai like Flash Express keep doing for my deliveries) and you will reach Wiang Heng (Wieng Haen, Wang Haeng) and then you can come back to Muang Ngai. Very twisty and beautiful lanscape.

- Arunothai, in the center of the village (very small roundabout) turn right and follow the road to Doi Ang Khang. If you don't want to go to the park, you can turn right (going down) at the military check point and reach Fang (just a little before, between Chai Prakan and Fang to be precise). You can also turn right way before but then you miss quite a bit of the twisty roads and the visit of Doi Ang Khang that is worth it.

If you rent a sewing machine with dirt tires like a CRF250L, you can make a loop with Pai. Go to Wiang Heng and turn left (coming from Muang Ngai, not Arunothai, at the time it was near the end of the village, get some google map help). Very nice and long dirt road. Beware the hill tribe people that live there tend to drive like maniacs on those roads. If you want to come back from Pai to Chiang Dao, you can go through Huay Nam Dang national park and find some nice dirt roads.

Nice dirt roads around Chiang Dao but you need to either find them by your own or have a friend show you. Some nice day trips with mostly dirt roads are existing.

Places to hang out in Chiang Dao, the road past the cave that I call soi farang (Cave bar, and some more but its dead dead since the pandemic), in the center there was a night market every 2 weeks (also not anymore, don't know if it will ever start again), Cojon Bar, The One bar, Ding Ding Dong and some 100% thai places along the bypass.

On 9/17/2021 at 2:38 PM, MrDudley said:

Can anyone tell me anything about the place any expat bars or sites to see.

In a village in the proverbial middle of nowhere? That would require expats in sufficient numbers to warrant such. Anyway, local restaurants/ bars are waaaay more interesting IMO.

If you have never been there before the cave area of Chiang Dao was always good enough for me, and there is an even better cave temple further north at Tub Tao- don't miss the sign on the highway though.

I guess it would depend on how much is open anyway.

If one just wants hill roads and fantastic scenery, the hills towards the Mekong from Phayao are as good as they come IMO and loads of small places to stay at with wonderful views.

Also don't come with armed drug smugglers to worry about.

However, IMO the ultimate off the sealed road driving experience is the dirt road from Phrae to Ban Sisiat by the Queen Sirikit reservoir. Three hours in first/ second gear. Just ignore the locals telling one to "not go that way, crazy farang".

Thank you for your replies. It is very appreciated, of course full disclosure should apply. There is a love interest in Arunothai. Isn't it always the way! She is of Burmese Chinese descent as most are there, and very easy on the eye. I've been to many places in Thailand mostly around Ubon Ratchithani. My ex wife was from there. As well of course the usual tourist traps. I've enjoyed the north and the Lanna culture in Chang Mai and Chang rai, and and the unique cuisine, the very different from the Isaan food I'm used to. . I'm Quite excited to see something new and as an avid and experienced bike rider. I'm looking forward to doing this. I'd of course love to be on my R100. I think that'd be a perfect choice. But alas it'll be most likely be a chook chaser or scooter. There's actually something quite liberating about being on one of those little <deleted>box hire bikes I find ????. I have been videochatting with this lady for 5 months now and of course she knows the area. But it's good to have a vision from a western perspective. I am not obsessed or craving farrang company. But I have met some fantastic people on out the way places. I have many friends around Ubon. But a new adventure beckons in uncharted territory.