Phuket officials defer ‘considering’ lifting ban on alcohol in restaurants

webfact

p99.jpg

Phuket Vice Governor Pichet Panapong at the meeting on Wednesday (Sept 15). 

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: Phuket officials have sidelined discussing whether to lift the ban on the sale and consumption of alcohol in restaurants on the island due to the high number of new COVID infections reported each day.

The deferral came at a recommendation by Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) Chief Kusak Kukiattikoon at a meeting of the Phuket Provincial Communicable Disease Committee, chaired by Phuket Vice Governor Pichet Panapong, on Wednesday (Sept 15).

The meeting recognised that business operators have formally requested the ban be lifted.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-defer-considering-lifting-ban-on-alcohol-in-restaurants-81431.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-09-17

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mrfill said:

The restaurant alcohol ban has been in force for ages and yet the cases are rising, therefore the logic dictates it would be better to allow restaurants to serve alcohol and ban the sale and serving of alcohol everywhere else....

and that's the magic of Thai logic...

What will all the mom & pop shops do?

And me, I'm not interested in restaurants, but support my local shop.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So the bootleggers now have to throw all their ill-gotten booze into the pristine ocean on the East side of Phuket?

Where is the medical proof or common sense relation between alcohol consumption in a restaurant and Covid-19? The mind boggles, if one listens to all those "experts" blurting incoherent stuff on a 24/7 basis. 

Ah, and good luck for your 1 October opening and the sandbox - keep up the good work! 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Espanol said:

Meanwhile  all restaurants are serving alcohol with meals now, all bars are fully open in Bangla and serving beer and everyone in Phuket knows, including Phuket officials. 

Just did 2 week sandbox in Karon and every evening had several beers , served in a glass tankard , before a meal and in full view of passing traffic , including the cops . Some guests from my hotel often came back at 03 00 am following a drinking session and no curfew laws were imposed by the cops who saw them .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, superal said:

Just did 2 week sandbox in Karon and every evening had several beers , served in a glass tankard , before a meal and in full view of passing traffic , including the cops . Some guests from my hotel often came back at 03 00 am following a drinking session and no curfew laws were imposed by the cops who saw them .

I would guess you drank at your hotel, They can serve alcohol if they have restaurant. The curfew rule is quite flexible.

17 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I would guess you drank at your hotel, They can serve alcohol if they have restaurant. The curfew rule is quite flexible.

no , at an open air restaurant , hotel restaurant was closed

I look forward to the day the ban on alcohol in restaurants is lifted, I can therefore return and support them, i.e. if they are still in business, I mean who would think that a customer would like a drink (singular) with their meal, but no, it appears that they couldn't control that, limiting alcohol consumption in restaurants to say for example one bottle of beer per table, so best to serve non and force restaurants to lose customers such as myself because I enjoy a glass of red or a small beer with my meal.

Yes limiting alcohol in restaurants would be to risky, you know if a restaurant owner served more than one, he could help the spread of Covid, however did it occur to make it clear that serving more than one per table/customer would warrant a 50,000 baht fine, enough to deter restaurant owners I am sure.

The above said, I have sat at a restaurant not knowing it was a public holiday or a Buddha day and when taking my order was told no alcohol, per-Covid, so I up and leave, dinner without a drink for me, if like not brushing my teeth before going to bed, it's just not going to happen.

Need someone to think outside the square people.

• Like 1

Thai logic does not work with tourists. The sooner that TAT can pound this fact into the 

heads of Thai government the better.  If Thailand indeed wants a high tourist season, then

the conditions will have to change, at least in the tourist areas.  Winter is not that far off.

Geezer

• Like 1

So they have sidelined even discussing the issue rather than facing it and discussing facts and number of cases and thresholds that might determine which way to go.  It's called wait and see.  I wonder if they discussed the lunch menu for the next meeting. 

• Like 1