Retirement Visa Based On NON-O Has Expired, Best Options For Renewal?

I lived in Thailand on a Retirement "visa" based upon a Non-O obtained in January 2004 and renewed at an immigration office every year since then.

We returned to the UK in March 2020, were unable to return due to Covid restrictions and my visa expired in January 2021.

We wish to return to Thailand in the near future, probably early next year, when hopefully the quarantine regs. etc. will be less onerous and I wish to renew my retirement visa/ permission to stay.

I still have the required funds in a Thai bank and would like to know which visa to apply for so that I can renew my retirement visa with the minimum of fuss.

Are allowances made for those like myself whose visas have expired whilst out of the country and have been unable to return due to Covid restrictions so that my retirement "visa" will be re instated painlessly once I return, or will I need to enter Thailand on a new visa, and if so which one, and start the whole process again?

I have my own health insurance arrangements with a UK insurance company and do not want to purchase any further Covid etc. top ups with a Thai company.

Any advice  would be gratefully received. Thank you.

You will have to start all over again with a new non-o visa. You current extension cannot be reinstated.

You could apply for a new non-o visa at the embassy in London. Or you could enter visa exempt and apply for a non-o visa at immigration. And then a new one year extension based upon retirement during the last 30 days of the 90 day permit to stay the non-o visa will allow.

I assume your wife will be returning with you since you wrote we. Will your wife also be applying for a extension based upon retirement? Or will she be getting one for being a member of your family.

If for being a member of you family she will have to apply for the non-o visa at the embassy since immigration does not issue them for that reason.

At this time she would not be able to get a certificate of entry since they are not being issued on that basis. That could change by the time you enter the country.

Not sure when or if they will be doing away with the requirement for the $100,000 covid 19 insurance for the length of stay you will get when entering the country.

my extension expired on may 31, 2021 and i returned in july this year.  i went for the visa exempt option, mainly to avoid having to mail my passport to the consulate in Los Angeles for a Non O.  i already had the funds in the thai bank.  after quarantine was over, i went to CW immigration in BKK and did the 'change visa' process to get the Non O.  i go back for the one year extension next month.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MUSTYJACK said:

Thanks UJ for the response, my wife is Thai, has both UK and Thai passports, but will enter on her Thai passport.

If I enter on a 90 day Non-O I assume I can apply for the retirement extension locally without having to leave the country.

You apply for extension inside Thailand. No need to exit Thailand.

You mention that bank account etc in pace. You can enter visa exempt as you can apply for extension quickly.

Did you consider extension based on marriage to Thai.

There is no 'allowances' for previous retirees. All they want to see is the 800k for 2 months before approval and 3 months after.

As long as you have the min amount, you are good for approval.

For you, it would be better to apply for marriage visa with only 400k requirement.

Edited by EricTh

23 minutes ago, EricTh said:

For you, it would be better to apply for marriage visa with only 400k requirement

If money isn't an issue some married guys chose to obtain extensions based on retirement. Has less  "other requirements"

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If money isn't an issue some married guys choose to obtain extensions based on retirement. Has less  "other requirements"

I would have chosen marriage visa instead of locking up 800k in a bank if I were married to a Thai.

Having a house visit from the immigration isn't really a hassle. They do that in other countries to prove that the marriage isn't a sham.

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I would have chosen marriage visa instead of locking up 800k in a bank if I were married to a Thai.

And I would chose 100% to have extensions based on retirement even if I were married to Thai.

Many married guys do likewise.

To each their own.

Edited by DrJack54

We were married in the UK and our marriage has not been registered in Thailand. 

The idea of sleazy immigration officers coming round to our residence with their cameras, smirks, doubts, intrusive questions and comments even after having seen our marriage certificate is quite frankly, appalling and totally unnecessary.

The retirement option has suited me fine for the past 17 years and hopefully will continue to do so unless the requirements change too much.

2 hours ago, buick said:

my extension expired on may 31, 2021 and i returned in july this year.  i went for the visa exempt option, mainly to avoid having to mail my passport to the consulate in Los Angeles for a Non O.  i already had the funds in the thai bank.  after quarantine was over, i went to CW immigration in BKK and did the 'change visa' process to get the Non O.  i go back for the one year extension next month.

Did you or will you have to purchase Covid or any other health insurance from a Thai company as a condition of obtaining your Non-O

50 minutes ago, MUSTYJACK said:

Did you or will you have to purchase Covid or any other health insurance from a Thai company as a condition of obtaining your Non-O

You purchase the 100k covid insurance for length of the stamp you will be given on entry. (That's for your COE)

To obtain the non O RT at immigration in Thailand no further insurance required.

Edited by DrJack54

• 4 months later...
On 9/17/2021 at 9:42 AM, DrJack54 said:

You apply for extension inside Thailand. No need to exit Thailand.

You mention that bank account etc in pace. You can enter visa exempt as you can apply for extension quickly.

Did you consider extension based on marriage to Thai.

Do you mean enter on a 30 day "visa" on arrival, then extend to a non imm., and then apply for an extension based on retirement? I didn't know you could change a 30 day "visa" on arrival to a non imm. 90.

2 minutes ago, MUSTYJACK said:

Do you mean enter on a 30 day "visa" on arrival, then extend to a non imm., and then apply for an extension based on retirement? I didn't know you could change a 30 day "visa" on arrival to a non imm. 90.

Yes you can.

Not being picky but your not ",extend to non O.

Enter visa exempt and apply for non O retirement. You need 800k in Thai bank on day you apply.

The non O gives you 90 day permit.

In the last 30 days with the 800k having been in bank for 2 months you can obtain 12month extension.