Stop programs on start up?

Gandtee

1. Determine what browser you're using and replace "browser-name" in step 2 with the actual name.
  2. Google using the following terms:   browser-name stop  website  opening  startup
  3. skip over any ads in the Google results and look at the first few suggestions and choose one.
  4. Execute the instructions given.

The Bangkok Post may have changed the settings on your browser so that their page is the one loaded by default when you start the browser.  You may need the change the "startup page" setting in your browser.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:
  1. Determine what browser you're using and replace "browser-name" in step 2 with the actual name.
  2. Google using the following terms:   browser-name stop  website  opening  startup
  3. skip over any ads in the Google results and look at the first few suggestions and choose one.

The Bangkok Post may have changed the settings on your browser so that their page is the one loaded by default when you start the browser.  You may need the change the "startup page" setting in your browser.

Thankyou.

5 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Good advice. On start up my notebook opens to g.mail, as set up (my choice) when I bought the notebook in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gandtee said:

I want to stop Bangkok Post opening on start up.

By "start-up" you mean when opening a browser?

If so, which browser do you use?

If Chrome, go into Settings, type on startup in the top, center search bar, and check which option is selected. If the "Open a specific page or pages" is selected, and a BP page is listed simply delete it.

18 hours ago, Gandtee said:

My son bought it for me as Christmas present years ago when it was cutting edge. It's a bit blunt now and so am I. I think it will see me out. At 87 it's as much as I can, or try to handle. Thanks to those with suggestions. A two headed claw hammer is a tad over the top. One head is adequate for the job.????

Shame there is no one around to refresh the device for you. RAM, SSD and perhaps to apply the latest updates for Windows 7.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Shame there is no one around to refresh the device for you. RAM, SSD and perhaps to apply the latest updates for Windows 7.

I appreciate what you are saying, but no real problem. It's nothing I can't live with. I'm just being a picky grumpy old man. But I like it.???? 

Just now, Gandtee said:

I appreciate what you are saying, but no real problem. It's nothing I can't live with. I'm just being a picky grumpy old man. But I like it.???? 

I mean, Windows 7 is no longer receiving updates; so that needs to be fixed. The other updates; RAM and SSD are standard upgrades for older devices. Something everyone should do. You would be surprised at the improvement for a very small cost. SSD from around 500 baht for instance.

No more making cups of tea whilst waiting for the device to fully load.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

Better don't use this. Read more about it here:

https://www.quora.com/Is-using-CCleaner-in-2021-still-a-good-idea

Nonsense.....Chinese whispers with no brain power attached.

Suggesting to not use software because a  single version on a download server was hacked years ago. Even so, the hack would only be able to transmit non-sensitive information

As to the PUA; that is to do with the bundling of Google software with a certain free version of the software. Many software providers do exactly the same thing. Easy to avoid by either choosing to not install the Google software during installation or by simply downloading the version without the bundled Google software.

https://www.ccleaner.com/knowledge/reports-of-windows-defender-classifying-ccleaner-as-pua

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/builds

The ridiculous thing about repeating this nonsense, is that Microsoft and Google are gathering far more information on you, than the potential hack that happened years ago.

So better you stop propagating nonsense.

October 2019: CCleaner, the popular file clean-up and performance optimization utility for Windows, has been hacked to spread malware to users of the 32-bit version. The breach was discovered by security researchers at Cisco Talos Group. They found that the hackers were able to inject the malware into the app by accessing the download servers used by the antivirus provider Avast (the parent company that owns CCleaner). “For a period of time, the legitimate signed version of CCleaner 5.33 being distributed by Avast also contained a multi-stage malware payload that rode on top of the installation of CCleaner,” writes the Talos team.

The malware allowed an infected system to be remotely controlled and collects data from your computer. “The compromise could cause the transmission of non-sensitive data (computer name, IP address, list of installed software, list of active software, list of network adapters) to a 3rd party computer server in the USA,” Piriform says in a statement issued on Monday.

The malware affects CCleaner version 5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191. According to Avast, about 2.27 million people ran the affected software. Luckily, the company is taking the necessary steps to correct the situation. In a blog post this morning, Piriform exec Paul Yung writes, “we’re moving all existing CCleaner v5.33.6162 users to the latest version. Users of CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191 have received an automatic update. In other words, to the best of our knowledge, we were able to disarm the threat before it was able to do any harm.”

• Like 2