Travel Options To Udon Thani

Elsewhere on this forum valuable info is available as to taxi-bus -airline connections to Udon Thani.

Thai Airways now charges 3140 THB one way( and that is not counting overweight charges) out of Don Mueang,so add another 500 to that for taxi ( or 37 for the bus ),BUT the flight no longer departs at 6.30 AM ,no ,now one has to wait til 9.30AM !!! That sucks big time .

Therefore the 8-9 hour bustravel -leaving at 6 AM gets more feasable .

I was quoted 6400 for a limo to run from the new airport straight to Udon -still about 8 hours drive ,but one could leave at about 1 AM ,assuming arrival at midnight from the USA and get to Udon by 9AM. (and one would not have to lugg all the bags to the busterminal first )

Now if I could find a fellow falang arriving on June 30 at midnight on a NWA flight from the USA , we could share a taxi and have the best of both worlds . I would assume ,one could find a cheaper taxi /van at arrival .

Ok guys check your schedule and get back to me ,so we can save some money and buy more som -tam

Elsewhere on this forum valuable info is available as to taxi-bus -airline connections to Udon Thani.

Thai Airways now charges 3140 THB one way( and that is not counting overweight charges) out of Don Mueang,so add another 500 to that for taxi ( or 37 for the bus ),BUT the flight no longer departs at 6.30 AM ,no ,now one has to wait til 9.30AM !!! That sucks big time .

Therefore the 8-9 hour bustravel -leaving at 6 AM gets more feasable .

I was quoted 6400 for a limo to run from the new airport straight to Udon -still about 8 hours drive ,but one could leave at about 1 AM ,assuming arrival at midnight from the USA and get to Udon by 9AM. (and one would not have to lugg all the bags to the busterminal first )

Now if I could find a fellow falang arriving on June 30 at midnight on a NWA flight from the USA , we could share a taxi and have the best of both worlds . I would assume ,one could find a cheaper taxi /van at arrival .

Ok guys check your schedule and get back to me ,so we can save some money and buy more som -tam

Have you tried these guys for a maybe cheaper quote ? They quoted me 4.500 to Uttaradit which is a little nearer than Udon I think.

http://www.orientalescape.com/service/transfer/bangkok.html

I would definitely want to do the car option upon arrival and not have to go through Bangkok and wait around

Edited by Krub

Five years ago I took a taxi to Udon from Bkk... we did it in 6-7 hours. Since then I often query Bkk taxis for their rate to Udon -- usually about 10 baht per km anywhere in central or northern Thailand.

I learned my lesson on one trip to Trat: agree on the price beforehand, and don't rely on the taxi's odometer.

You should be able to agree on a fare of 4,500 - 5,000 baht. The price of petrol has risen steeply, so allow for that. As well, discuss whether the taxi uses LPG. Lots do now. It might not be as readily available in the small hours of the morning.

PM me for mobile numbers of dependable drivers I've used in the past. (Their speaking English is not guaranteed.) Most are delighted to have a fare going to NE, since many hail from there. Ask if his wife wants to go along to visit family, then ask for a lower rate.

If you're calling them from USA, have a friend here buy a CAT Phone Net calling card for 300 baht, then email you the card codes and 800- number for USA. It can be used to call back to Thailand at 6 baht per minute (50 minutes). The card is charged by the second, not the minute. Also available for 500 baht (1 hr 23 min's).

If you strike a deal, I suggest you call the driver from a pay phone prior to your flight departure to confirm the meeting place and time. Assure him that you're about to depart. Be careful about the arrival date, esp since NWA from Japan arrives close to midnight. I'd refer to the day before midnight. I've had drivers park in the airport lot, then meet me at arrivals... agree on door A, B, or C beforehand.

Some will caution about driving with an unknown driver through the night. Use your mobile to SMS the taxi info to a friend.

Try Nok Air (unfortunately no Nok Plus on this route any more allowing you 30kg for an additional 535 baht)

Booking Summary

DEPART

Bangkok (Donmueang) To Udon Thani Thursday June 07 , 2007

06:00 am DD9200

THB 855.14

(Per Passenger)

Fares/Taxes, Fees and Surcharges Conditions

# Fares, Taxes, Fees and Surcharges are Non-Refundable.

# All fares quoted are subject to fluctuation until full payment is made.

# Itinerary may be changed up until 24 hours prior to your departure date. 'Change Fee' plus any fare difference to re-book will be applied. For Nok Plus, passenger can change their itinerary free of charge.

# For further information, click here

DEPARTURE

1 Fare (ADULT) THB 855.14

1 Tax, Fee and Surcharge (ADULT) THB 694.86

Airport Tax THB 100.00

Insurance THB 50.00

Administration Fee THB 50.00

Fuel Surcharge THB 400.00

VAT THB 94.86

Total (ADULT) THB 1,550.00

DEPARTURE TOTAL THB 1,550.00

ATM1.4 THB 20.00