Covid 60 day extension, got a 14 day stamp and informed to return in 2 weeks to get a further 45 day stamp... Is this normal??

Hi Guys

I went to Immigration in Phuket yesterday to get the Covid 60 day extension, but instead of it being just that, I got a 14 day passport stamp and informed to return in 2 weeks to get a further 45 day stamp!

Does anybody know if that's standard procedure? As it just seems to be an immigration bottle neck, no? Considering the volume of people and queues they have there it doesn't quite make sense, logically. I did ask why would I not get the 60 day stamp now but was informed, again, to attend in 14 days, so didn't really get an answer, hence this thread.

Any help as always, is appreciated?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Depending on the seniority of the officials available, they may be able to grant the 60-day extension directly, or may need to take the extension request under consideration. What you experienced is the latter, and is not unusual.

Excellent, as we all know logic can be absent from procedures at times and I wanted to establish whether this situation is quite common.... Thank for your information and have a great day!

• 2 weeks later...

I had been informed that upon first time for the 60 day C extension you're given a 14 day extension and then informed to return after the 14 days for a 45/ 46 day extension, but I was today given a further 60 days extension on top of the 14 days, so all in it's 74 days at 1900b instead of the previous 30 days at 1900b. Great stuff!

7 minutes ago, truthfix said:

I had been informed that upon first time for the 60 day C extension you're given a 14 day extension and then informed to return after the 14 days for a 45/ 46 day extension, but I was today given a further 60 days extension on top of the 14 days, so all in it's 74 days at 1900b instead of the previous 30 days at 1900b. Great stuff!

I think you need to look closer at your extension stamp. The 60 days started from the end of your previous extension.

The 14 days were not a extension. it is a under consideration period while waiting for your extension to be approved.

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think you need to look closer at your extension stamp. The 60 days started from the end of your previous extension.

The 14 days were not a extension. it is a under consideration period while waiting for your extension to be approved.

Surely if the 60 days were to commence at the end of my visa being the 22nd Sept, then the 60 days would run until 21st ish of November, no? 

But on 22nd Sept, I was given the 14 day consideration period and today the 4th Oct, an extension which expires on the 3rd Dec.

Am I having a blonde moment here?? ????

11 minutes ago, truthfix said:

But on 22nd Sept, I was given the 14 day consideration period and today the 4th Oct, an extension which expires on the 3rd Dec.

It is seems the officer made an error by starting the 60 days today. What I wrote is the normal procedure for doing it.

14 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Am I having a blonde moment here??

Nup. You just had a win. 

BTW your covid dates are perfect for you to apply for another extension just prior to Nov 27th. 

Edited by DrJack54

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is seems the officer made an error by starting the 60 days today. What I wrote is the normal procedure for doing it.

Absolutely as this procedure was stated to me previously, so a little surprised when obtained the additional days etc. thanks for the info and nice when things work out. ????

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Nup. You just had a win. 

BTW your covid dates are perfect for you to apply for another extension just prior to Nov 27th. 

Awesome! Why would I apply for another extension prior to the 27th Nov and not nearer the time of expiry, say around the 03rd Dec?????

7 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Awesome! Why would I apply for another extension prior to the 27th Nov and not nearer the time of expiry, say around the 03rd Dec?????

They were due to end issue on Sept 27 (or 26). Then it was announced that they will be continued to be issued until Nov 27. 

You permit expires Dec 3.

Apply say Nov 25 and you will be given another 60 days from Dec 3.

Great your home free till ~Feb 3.

Hopefully by then some land borders might be open and no quarantine. 

Edited by DrJack54

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

2 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Absolutely as this procedure was stated to me previously, so a little surprised when obtained the additional days etc. thanks for the info and nice when things work out. ????

I would get it rectified ASAP. Twice it has happened to me. I once got stamped 90 days instead of 30 days. A big hastle. The immigration officer got transfered, I had to get a new passport to make life easier. They will accuse you of all sorts of criminal activity and go through your history with a fine tooth comb. I was completely innocent but Thailand won't see it that way.

Th 2nd time I was lucky and spotted their error with the stamps within 10 m of leaving the immigation counter at a land border.

They are not the sharpest bunch of civil servants.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They were due to end issue on Sept 27 (or 26). Then it was announced that they will be continued to be issued until Nov 27. 

You permit expires Dec 3.

Apply say Nov 25 and you will be given another 60 days from Dec 3.

Great your home free till ~Feb 3.

Hopefully by then some land borders might be open and no quarantine. 

That, my friend is fantastic to hear and of much benefit, THANK YOU! 

2 minutes ago, rbkk said:

I would get it rectified ASAP. Twice it has happened to me. I once got stamped 90 days instead of 30 days. A big hastle. The immigration officer got transfered, I had to get a new passport to make life easier. They will accuse you of all sorts of criminal activity and go through your history with a fine tooth comb. I was completely innocent but Thailand won't see it that way.

Th 2nd time I was lucky and spotted their error with the stamps within 10 m of leaving the immigation counter at a land border.

They are not the sharpest bunch of civil servants.

Hmmmm but surely the date stamped in the passport is the date of expiry... ie their error not yours etc, we're only talking about 14 days here btw.

9 minutes ago, truthfix said:

Hmmmm but surely the date stamped in the passport is the date of expiry... ie their error not yours etc, we're only talking about 14 days here btw.

You won't have an issue. 

As you pointed out...you should have been stamped in till about Nov 21.

I would apply for my next extension say Nov 20.

Applying couple of weeks prior to your Dec 3 permit expiry stamp is normal. 

The example given by someone of 90 given at entry instead of 30 is serious and would most likely result in overstay even though it was io error. 

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You won't have an issue. 

As you pointed out...you should have been stamped in till about Nov 21.

I would apply for my next extension say Nov 20.

Applying couple of weeks prior to your Dec 3 permit expiry stamp is normal. 

The example given by someone of 90 given at entry instead of 30 is serious and would most likely result in overstay even though it was io error. 

Yes, Nov 20th is a good idea! Thanks for your time here and have a great day!

• Like 1