Getting Bangkok Bank 'direct deposit' approved

I'm waiting for the Bangkok Bank to approve my application that I did at the Phuket Town branch on the 9th of this month.  This is for my USA Social Security monthly deposit.

I was at the bank today (for something else) and asked them they knew 'about' when my direct deposit application would be approved. They seemed disinterested and merely said, "they'll email you." Hmm, does it really work like this?

Did any of you have any hiccups/problems? How long did it take for the bank to get back to you saying it was all approved? Or, did they NOT actually get back to you?

Yes...it completed on the spot and then that local Bangkok Bank branch probably relays it to the HQ Bangkok Bank main branch on Silom Road in Bangkok who will then email/fax it to the Manila SS Office.  Or, you can email/mail it yourself.

Also, keep in mind there are two different types of direct deposit methods. 

One is the original ACH transfer method where the Bangkok Bank NY branch routing number along with your in-Thailand branch acct number is used.  This method is for for the restricted direct deposit acct with Bangkok Bank where you can only withdraw/transfer funds by physically visiting any branch, no debit card allowed, acct can be in your name only, etc..

The other direct deposit method is the International Direct Deposit (IDD) method which became available for Thailand about 2 years ago and does not use the NY branch ACH routing number....instead the U.S. Treasury/SSA converts to baht on their end and sendsvia SWIFT....uses the SWIFT code and acct number of your Thailand bank.  IDD can go to any bank in Thailand (Bangkok Bank, K-bank, Krungsri, SCB, etc) and can go to a regular savings/checking acct....no restrictions at all....can even go to a joint acct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 10:59 AM, walt1 said:

If I remember right I took the direct deposit form to the bank to be completed by them on the spot, then sent that to Manila SS office. No approval from BB just filling out the form.

OK, thanks for the info.  Yes, the BB branch in Phuket Town filled it all out. I sent copies to Manila.  They apparently got right on it as the new direct deposit account showed up on the online SSA website almost immediately.

I guess I can just relax now and wait for it to happen.    Cheers. 

On 9/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, Pib said:

Yes...it completed on the spot and then that local Bangkok Bank branch probably relays it to the HQ Bangkok Bank main branch on Silom Road in Bangkok who will then email/fax it to the Manila SS Office.  Or, you can email/mail it yourself.

One is the original ACH transfer method where the Bangkok Bank NY branch routing number along with your in-Thailand branch acct number is used.  This method is for for the restricted direct deposit acct with Bangkok Bank where you can only withdraw/transfer funds by physically visiting any branch, no debit card allowed, acct can be in your name only, etc..

The other direct deposit method is the International Direct Deposit (IDD) method which became available for Thailand about 2 years ago and does not use the NY branch ACH routing number....instead the U.S. Treasury/SSA converts to baht on their end and sendsvia SWIFT....uses the SWIFT code and acct number of your Thailand bank.  IDD can go to any bank in Thailand (Bangkok Bank, K-bank, Krungsri, SCB, etc) and can go to a regular savings/checking acct....no restrictions at all....can even go to a joint acct.

Thanks Pib.  I was unaware of the two types.  I thought the first one you mentioned was the only one available.  I assume that's what my bank branch signed me up for, but maybe I should check.  Thanks for the detailed info... Cheers. 

Edited by Galong

• 2 months later...
On 9/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, Pib said:

Pib, or anybody else with experience to share:

1. I did your first/top method above & beginning 04Jan2022 I received my first SSA pension direct deposit to my Bangkok Bank acct in Chiang Mai (Acct solely my name & I need to show ID to withdraw, no atm).

2. But something I don't like:

The US dollars were converted to Thai Baht in NYC (Bkk Bk branch) first.  I received the baht, but at a reduced FEX rate from what was being used here in Thailand if US dollars arrived.  Also, the deposit showed up in my bank book coded as "BTN" (whatever that means) as opposed to my desired code  "FTT" (which I understand to mean Foreign Transaction).  

3. I talked to the manager at Bangkok Bank Chiang Mai, Kad Suan Kaew branch, who told me that there is nothing he can do to change it so that US dollars will arrive in Thailand before being converted to THB in NYC. He insisted that it is just the way that SSA & Bkk Bk NYC must do it.  I'm not sure he is correct about that, but rather than argue I accepted that there was nothing that he (the mgr) was willing to do to assist. 

4. So, I also sent an email to SSA Manila office asking them if there is anything they can do to assist.

However, knowing the bureaucracy can at times also be unhelpful, or at least slow, I thought it potentially beneficial to ask aseannow readers for comments ref their experience with SSA direct deposits to Bkk Bk.  Thanks in advance for sharing your experience / knowledge.

2 hours ago, OneZero said:

Pib, or anybody else with experience to share:

1. I did your first/top method above & beginning 04Jan2022 I received my first SSA pension direct deposit to my Bangkok Bank acct in Chiang Mai (Acct solely my name & I need to show ID to withdraw, no atm).

2. But something I don't like:

The US dollars were converted to Thai Baht in NYC (Bkk Bk branch) first.  I received the baht, but at a reduced FEX rate from what was being used here in Thailand if US dollars arrived.  Also, the deposit showed up in my bank book coded as "BTN" (whatever that means) as opposed to my desired code  "FTT" (which I understand to mean Foreign Transaction).  

3. I talked to the manager at Bangkok Bank Chiang Mai, Kad Suan Kaew branch, who told me that there is nothing he can do to change it so that US dollars will arrive in Thailand before being converted to THB in NYC. He insisted that it is just the way that SSA & Bkk Bk NYC must do it.  I'm not sure he is correct about that, but rather than argue I accepted that there was nothing that he (the mgr) was willing to do to assist. 

4. So, I also sent an email to SSA Manila office asking them if there is anything they can do to assist.

However, knowing the bureaucracy can at times also be unhelpful, or at least slow, I thought it potentially beneficial to ask aseannow readers for comments ref their experience with SSA direct deposits to Bkk Bk.  Thanks in advance for sharing your experience / knowledge.

You post is confusing....I'll explain why below. 

Based on the post it appears Bangkok Bank opened a special/restricted savings acct for you to receive reoccurring U.S. govt payments.  This type of acct is only required if you use the "ACH" method for Direct Deposit....that is, you use the Bangkok Bank New York branch ACH/ABA routing number of 026008691 and your in-Thailand branch acct number.  Usually a SF-1199A Direct Deposit form is used.....https://www.gsa.gov/Forms/TrackForm/32810

Although the Bangkok Bank special/restricted acct is setup to receive reoccurring U.S. govt payments "via ACH", repeat, via ACH, you can send personal ACH transfers, SWIFT/wire transfers, Transferwise transfers, etc., to the acct if desired.  

Then you start talking the NY branch doing the exchange and the passbook coding received is BTN which stands for the BAHTNET transfer system which is primarily a Thailand domestic transfer system but it does interface with the SWIFT system.   Now that makes me think you signed up for International Direct Deposit (IDD) which uses the SWIFT system (not the ACH system) and the signup form is different....it at this SSA weblink: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

Bangkok Bank NY is "not" involved in IDD transfers.  The U.S. Treasury/its contractor bank for IDD payments accomplishes the exchange several business days before the payment date and then transfers baht to you.  The current contractor bank that the U.S. Treasury uses for Thailand once the payment leaves the Federal Reserve Bank of New York is Citibank.  The SWIFT routing going thru Citibank Europe and then on to Bank of Thailand/Citibank Thailand where the final leg of the transfer is via the BAHTNET system....that's why you get the BTN coding. 

If your benefit payment is approx $1,125 or more after all the exchange rate/fee dust settles you will get a little more if using the ACH method; if if less than approx $1,125 you will get a little more if using IDD.

So, which direct deposit method did you sign up with....ACH or IDD?    

If you signed up for ACH the a Bangkok Bank restricted/special acct is required "and" the Bangkok Bank NY branch is involved as you used their ACH/ABA routing number.  However, they "do not" accomplish the exchange at the NY branch but they do slice off a pass-thru fee....the exchange is accomplished once it arrives Bangkok Bank Thailand.  The exchange rate used is the Bangkok Bank "TT Buying Rate" on the date of posting....since the TT Buying Rate usually changes the several times per day the 0830am/opening rate is usually used.

If you signed up for IDD a Bangkok Bank restricted/special acct is "not" required....it can be a regular savings acct at any Thai bank to include Bangkok Bank....AND the Bangkok Bank NY branch is not involved in the transfer.....only the local Bangkok Bank branch receives the payment from Citibank via the BAHTNET system.

If you did signup for IDD payment then the Chiang Mai branch should not have opened a restricted/special acct for the payment but maybe they just didn't know better....they heard U.S. govt payments and just defaulted to opening the restricted/special acct....IDD was just something they didn't know about/understand.  

So, did you signup for payment via ACH or IDD?  If ACH, you must have the Bangkok Bank restricted/special acct.  If IDD a Bangkok Bank restricted/special acct is "not" required....just a regular Thai baht saving acct at any Thai bank (including Bangkok Bank) is needed.  

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

Times have changed! Years ago I tried and was told

1) Have to go to head branch of BKK bank in BKK.

2) Went and spent several hours around da Rosie.

#) Finally told ok, but they will hold money for 45 days!

I declined and now use wise.

The one message about the direct deposit with no hitches sounds best. But how do you set it up?

Bangkok Bank clearly did not want to set up my account using the original ACH method.    They kept telling me the IDD method was better but I kept on insisting that I want the ACH method.  It took more than 2 hours with the manager and they said that they would not be mailing it to Manila and I had to that myself.  of course at the end I had to listen to an insurance pitch.

If I did open up an account using the IDD method it would have been with one of my other banks.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

You post is confusing....I'll explain why below. 

Based on the post it appears Bangkok Bank opened a special/restricted savings acct for you to receive reoccurring U.S. govt payments.  This type of acct is only required if you use the "ACH" method for Direct Deposit....that is, you use the Bangkok Bank New York branch ACH/ABA routing number of 026008691 and your in-Thailand branch acct number.  Usually a SF-1199A Direct Deposit form is used.....https://www.gsa.gov/Forms/TrackForm/32810

Although the Bangkok Bank special/restricted acct is setup to receive reoccurring U.S. govt payments "via ACH", repeat, via ACH, you can send personal ACH transfers, SWIFT/wire transfers, Transferwise transfers, etc., to the acct if desired.  

Then you start talking the NY branch doing the exchange and the passbook coding received is BTN which stands for the BAHTNET transfer system which is primarily a Thailand domestic transfer system but it does interface with the SWIFT system.   Now that makes me think you signed up for International Direct Deposit (IDD) which uses the SWIFT system (not the ACH system) and the signup form is different....it at this SSA weblink: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199-op107.pdf

Bangkok Bank NY is "not" involved in IDD transfers.  The U.S. Treasury/its contractor bank for IDD payments accomplishes the exchange several business days before the payment date and then transfers baht to you.  The current contractor bank that the U.S. Treasury uses for Thailand once the payment leaves the Federal Reserve Bank of New York is Citibank.  The SWIFT routing going thru Citibank Europe and then on to Bank of Thailand/Citibank Thailand where the final leg of the transfer is via the BAHTNET system....that's why you get the BTN coding. 

If your benefit payment is approx $1,125 or more after all the exchange rate/fee dust settles you will get a little more if using the ACH method; if if less than approx $1,125 you will get a little more if using IDD.

So, which direct deposit method did you sign up with....ACH or IDD?    

If you signed up for ACH the a Bangkok Bank restricted/special acct is required "and" the Bangkok Bank NY branch is involved as you used their ACH/ABA routing number.  However, they "do not" accomplish the exchange at the NY branch but they do slice off a pass-thru fee....the exchange is accomplished once it arrives Bangkok Bank Thailand.  The exchange rate used is the Bangkok Bank "TT Buying Rate" on the date of posting....since the TT Buying Rate usually changes the several times per day the 0830am/opening rate is usually used.

If you signed up for IDD a Bangkok Bank restricted/special acct is "not" required....it can be a regular savings acct at any Thai bank to include Bangkok Bank....AND the Bangkok Bank NY branch is not involved in the transfer.....only the local Bangkok Bank branch receives the payment from Citibank via the BAHTNET system.

If you did signup for IDD payment then the Chiang Mai branch should not have opened a restricted/special acct for the payment but maybe they just didn't know better....they heard U.S. govt payments and just defaulted to opening the restricted/special acct....IDD was just something they didn't know about/understand.  

So, did you signup for payment via ACH or IDD?  If ACH, you must have the Bangkok Bank restricted/special acct.  If IDD a Bangkok Bank restricted/special acct is "not" required....just a regular Thai baht saving acct at any Thai bank (including Bangkok Bank) is needed.  

Pib,

I had already opened the restricted acct & was happy with that as my OPM pension is deposited to it and I use the FTT deposits for renewing extension of stay at Immigration. Fine. I used the same restricted acct when I asked Bkk Bk folks to help prepare the paperwork for the SSA pension direct deposit.  They filled out the paperwork, I signed it (wo realizing any distinction between ACH & IDD) & mailed it to Manila.  I don't know exactly where the decision to start it as IDD came from, but certainly seems to be what happened.  Thanks for your explanation Pib.

Ok, now I'm hoping for suggestions as to the easiest way to get it converted to ACH.

As I stated, the Chiang Mai, Kad Suan Kaew Bkk Bk manager was not at all willing to do anything for me.

Also, he sure seems to have made an erroneous statement when he stated that SSA has to do it the IDD way.  That is contrary to everything I've learned here. 

1 hour ago, OneZero said:

Pib,

I had already opened the restricted acct & was happy with that as my OPM pension is deposited to it and I use the FTT deposits for renewing extension of stay at Immigration. Fine. I used the same restricted acct when I asked Bkk Bk folks to help prepare the paperwork for the SSA pension direct deposit.  They filled out the paperwork, I signed it (wo realizing any distinction between ACH & IDD) & mailed it to Manila.  I don't know exactly where the decision to start it as IDD came from, but certainly seems to be what happened.  Thanks for your explanation Pib.

Ok, now I'm hoping for suggestions as to the easiest way to get it converted to ACH.

As I stated, the Chiang Mai, Kad Suan Kaew Bkk Bk manager was not at all willing to do anything for me.

Also, he sure seems to have made an erroneous statement when he stated that SSA has to do it the IDD way.  That is contrary to everything I've learned here. 

The easiest way is to notify the Manila SS Office you need to change your direct deposit information to use Bangkok Bank NY ACH routing number 026008691 and your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank acct number.  Have your bank branch complete a SF-1199A with the necessary info and then forward the completed form to Manila.   Your bank branch can forward the form or you can do it....personally, I recommend you forward the completed SF1199A by scanning it and then emailing it Manila.

If the branch will not complete the form you can complete it yourself but it will be unsigned by the bank.  When forwarding it to Manila include a note the bank branch would not sign the form. 

In some cases Manila does not even require the form...you can just send them an email or do a phone call with the info---it depends on the Manila SS office representative and your particular situation as to whether they require a completed direct deposit form or will accept the info via memo/email/phone call.   Both the wife and I initially signup for SS thru the Manila office.  For me they accepted my direct deposit info during the phone interview....for the wife they required a completed SF1199 form.  Our interviews were done by different SS representatives. 

• Like 1

None of this nonsense is needed any more.  Bangkok Bank at one time had the market on SSA direct deposits.  They do not any longer.
You use to have to open a special account and then come in person to draw out the money.  It was ridiculous. You should check the terms of whatever you signed up for with BKK Bank.

SSA will now send you deposit to any established bank in Thailand via International Direct Deposit (IDD).  I dropped BKK bank as soon as that change occurred.  I got tired of their customer service depending on an employee's mood at the moment, especially after having to physically show up every month to withdrawn my funds just to redeposit them. 

Open up an account at any bank that will accept US customers (I use SCB), and contact Manila by email and ask for directions for setting up a direct deposit to your bank account. 

The fact your having issues should be a warning. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pib, Connda,

Thank both of you very much for your input.

Despite my disappointment with the Bkk Bk CM bank mgr, I would like to stick with them & ACH, at least for now.

Pib,

your suggestions are exactly what I was hoping for, and I will proceed with your advice.

Again, thank you both.

• Like 1