Gym where elderly feel well

CNX171

Orchid gym is very quiet during the pandemic, but was a place where most of the members were retired guys before. I've been a member for about 15 years, decent equipment, nice pool, lounges and umbrellas. There are only two staff on duty now but they're open 07:00 to 19:00. Joe, the manager told me today Sept. 28, that the pool would probably open October 1. Because it is part of the hotel amenities, it isn't high pressure for them to make money.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:59 PM, CNX171 said:

A staff member who can give supportive guidance appropriate to my physical condition is welcome.  .

I did never see a Thai "trainer" in a gym who knew what they are doing. Many of them look like they never even touched a weight in their life.

• Haha 2

Orchard is nice and was quiet. If you have limitatiins I would not trust a trainer. Just take it very very slow. A trainer will think it is their job to push you and over 70 i get a strain very easily.. go very slowly and you likely will still hurt yourself a little.. don t push it

• Like 1

In general, old age can play havoc with joints and there is little point in doing strength exercisers if the joints aren't mobile enough to prevent sprains etc. One of the most proven routines is a 15-20 minute warm up for a beginner in the martial arts...techniques used for a couple of thousand years. The movements are gentle and without stress usually starting from the head/neck working the way down to the ankles. Do this twice a day, three if you have the time, and it will be a surprise how an improvement in mobility can also improve your overall condition. Many of the simple moves also massage internal organs. There are now a great many videos to choose from both DVD and Youtube, to suit your needs and you don't need a special gym to exercise. in a couple of weeks or so if you feel like adding some weight training take it easy without spending a lot of money. Use bags of small pebbles for ankles and wrists and so on and then of course there is always the simple dynamic tension/neural muscular techniques.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I can recommend the gym at Ratilanna Hotel. I stopped  only due to distance from my home. Gym, Steam room, sauna. pool. it can be your country club setting here in Chiang Mai.

When the Orchid closed to retile the pool I used Ratilanna for a few months. It was very nice, but a bit small causing minor waiting to use equipment. The pool is beautiful but limited space to swim laps because of the bar and the ramp access. Nicest towels I've ever seen in a gym though.

See if you can find a member here who knows how to resistance train.  Essentially find a workout partner who can guide you through the use of the equipment and to establish a routine, and perhaps even a training diet.  I'd offer to do it myself, but unfortunately I don't live in Chiang Mai.  Traveling to CM is a full day trip.  But perhaps some other member could assist?