Thai car sales slump to 15-month low in Aug on outbreak curbs

snoop1130

2021-09-23T034327Z_1_LYNXMPEH8M02K_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-AUTOS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Vehicles are seen stuck in traffic along a road in Bangkok, Thailand December 18, 2018. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's domestic car sales tumbled 38.8% in August from a year earlier as stricter coronavirus containment measures hit economic activity, the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) said on Thursday.

However, the curbs, imposed in July and August, have been eased https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1N2Q006L from this month, which the FTI said should boost car sales later this year.

In August, sales dropped to 42,176 vehicles, the lowest level in 15 months, after July's 11.6% year-on-year fall to 52,442 units, the FTI said.

A microchips shortage also slowed car production, it said.

Thailand is a regional vehicle production and export base for the world's top carmakers, including Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi and Nissan.

The FTI is maintaining its targets for domestic car sales of 750,000 units and auto exports of 800,000 to 850,000 cars this year.

A motor expo in December will also help boost sales this year, Surapong Paisitpattanapong, a spokesperson for FTI's automotive industry division told a briefing.

"After the lockdown relaxation, clients began to visit showrooms. Auto centres are back to normal," he said.

"Consumer confidence is important. If government measures can build people's confidence, spending will return," he added.

In August, car exports dropped 3.78% from a year earlier to 59,571 units, a four-month low, due to delayed production of some models caused by semiconductors and parts shortages as well as outbreaks at some factories.

"If the shortages and the COVID situation ease later this year, our export target should be met," Surapong said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-09-23

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Surapong Paisitpattanapong, a spokesperson for FTI's automotive industry division told a briefing.

"After the lockdown relaxation, clients began to visit showrooms. Auto centres are back to normal," he said.

Don't look now, Surapog Whoozitswhatchamalcallit, but your pants are on fire.....

3 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Ah, the Colorado being sold in Thailand brings back memories

of the Chonburi I bought in Illinois.

Bargain of the century as  far as Im concerned, no  problems with it so  far 21k  km in the first year, if  manufacturers really want to sell they should  lower  prices, theyll whinge they have almost no margins  now etc

44 minutes ago, Henryford said:

You think they might want to sell new cars. Not when i asked last month. Not a single satang off the list price or an offer of finance.

Try not to go in the showroom wearing your wife Beater shirt, & Flip Flops .---:w00t:

Just joking Heneyford--yes there seems to be some agreement that no one is allowed to drop list price. There is a Big drop on the (New) last years model Honda's , which was what I was looking for. Finance for farang isn't always easy. In my wife's name never seems a problem especially if you can give 25% deposit.

You have to make it up in extras--insurance/a good tint/a good amour-spray/ (a must on Issan roads)  0. something % finance / lots of free service etc.

Maybe the Dam will burst and they will do a drop in prices.--- must be the worst time for them in some years.

Out here in Issan the dealers and banks have been firing away car loans like mad. New red plated cars everywhere. They even ran out of red plates, and many new cars have none.

Wife and I got a good deal on ours about 5 months ago. She had no credit and was told by the dealership to use her dad's farm papers. Her income was considered her theoretically working the rai-age of land, though they knew Mr. Farang would be paying. She was amazed she got approved, said friends with good jobs had been denied not so long ago.

In addition to my reg govt school teaching job, I teach intl adults online, and just for chit chatting with them a bit make twice the 8k baht/mo. payment. Woo-hoo.

10 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Wife and I got a good deal on ours about 5 months ago. She had no credit and was told by the dealership to use her dad's farm papers. Her income was considered her theoretically working the rai-age of land, though they knew Mr. Farang would be paying. She was amazed she got approved, said friends with good jobs had been denied not so long ago.

But is the reality then that it is her father that got her approved, and is there any 'risk to the farm' if she defaults? Worried to see Thailand go down that road.....

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But is the reality then that it is her father that got her approved, and is there any 'risk to the farm' if she defaults? Worried to see Thailand go down that road.....

I was worried about that too, told them to call off the deal if so. But nope. Solely to establish income, as if she were working the land. They knew I'd be providing the income, but to verify mine would be more difficult.

• Thanks 1