Likelihood Phuket will drop vaccination requirement for domestic travellers?

PizzaBoi

I realize anything with the word vaccine in it is a dangerous subject, so I really don't want to get into discussions about that specifically. I'm not anti-vax, but I wanted to know what people here thought the likelihood is that Phuket will drop the vaccination requirement for domestic travellers.

Barely now on October 1st they will allow domestic entry again only if you're fully vaccinated and with a negative test result. Will we ever go back to just requiring a negative test result?

Part of me is doubtful, but then you look at the rest of Thailand and it's only Phuket and Krabi (and maybe Samui?) that have this requirement, so surely it's not completely off the table?

• Confused 1

They will drop the requirement when another island or area drops it and starts to put their bottom line to shame. Good old capitalism does work. But if I’m wrong and there is more long term potential revenue with the regulation in place, I’m sure they will keep it. 

When the populous get their heads screwed on straight even the vaxed people are going to realize it’s not right to request people to have a yet to be proven vaccine. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sucit said:

They will drop the requirement when another island or area drops it and starts to put their bottom line to shame. Good old capitalism does work. But if I’m wrong and there is more long term potential revenue with the regulation in place, I’m sure they will keep it. 

When the populous get their heads screwed on straight even the vaxed people are going to realize it’s not right to request people to have a yet to be proven vaccine. 

Well right now I think it's only in play because of the Sandbox, which is specific to just Phuket and Samui (the Sandbox which has been proven to do little to nothing for local businesses). I guess a few hotels are doing alright out of it, but most have suffered massively. That's probably why they are "reducing" domestic restrictions on October 1st, it's finally kicking in that the whole thing is basically a waste of time.

IMO a recent negative test and proof of insurance to cover you from C should be enough to enter Phuket domestically. Makes no sense keeping people out under those circumstances, especially when the rest of Thailand is open up

• Like 1

Thailand, like every other country is doing its utmost to encourage people to get vaccinated and mandates are becoming commonplace for health workers, teachers, airline staff and many others. Requiring tourists to get vaccinated is comparatively low hanging fruit. The chances of them not requiring vaccination for intl. arrivals is near zero imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bolt said:

I don’t know any country who are promoting arrivals without vaccination

This is the new standard along with a negative PCR test.

Get used to it get vaccinated and move forward

About international travel ok. All fine.

But don't tell me it's normal and isn't mad that Somtschai from Maikhao need vaccination to go 5km to Khok Kloi.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Thailand, like every other country is doing its utmost to encourage people to get vaccinated and mandates are becoming commonplace for health workers, teachers, airline staff and many others. Requiring tourists to get vaccinated is comparatively low hanging fruit. The chances of them not requiring vaccination for intl. arrivals is near zero imo.

That might be so, but this thread was about domestic travel, not international

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bolt said:

I don’t know any country who are promoting arrivals without vaccination

This is the new standard along with a negative PCR test.

Get used to it get vaccinated and move forward

Promoting or allowing? They're two very different things.

You can enter Thailand right now unvaccinated. And there are plenty of other countries that allow international arrivals for unvaccinated people, you're just probably going to have to do some form of self-isolation or quarantine.

Either way this thread is specifically about domestic travel within Thailand, not international arrivals

• Like 1