Student visa extension (university) switching to Covid extension timing

A friend of mine from an ASEAN country who has recently graduated from university here wants to extend his stay for a while using the Covid19 extension- the actual graduation ceremony will be sometime around mid-December.  The process for this is not the problem- friends of his have recently done exactly the same.  My question is of the timing of the cancellation and then covid extension.  The university office is saying they have to cancel the student visa extension 15 days before the actual expiry date, and that's what his friends have done.  I wonder if that is a special rule for student visas, or it's just maybe the way the university office has always operated.  The university is in Rangsit so this is for the Pathumthani Imm office.  When I switched from a Non-Imm B (work) extension to a Retirement extension (at CW) I did it only 2 or 3 days before the expiry date, and the whole process was done on the same day. 

The idea is that my friend wants to stay as late into December as possible, just in case they finally stop giving out covid extensions after Nov 26.  The covid extension at Pathumthani Imm is dated from the date the student visa is canceled, not from the "admitted until" date.  Is there any reason to assume he can not do the cancellation-extension process within, say, 4-5 days ahead of the expiry date for his student visa (which is in late October).  Or, is the only way to be sure to go to the imm office and ask in the next few days?  

Can anyone shed any light on this? 

There is not rule that requires a extension to be canceled 15 days before it ends. That may be what the university wants to do.

They would have to apply for the 60 day covid 19 extension of the day their current extension expirees.

The covid 19 extension can be applied for at any time before November 26th.

Edit: If they could cancel their current extension now and apply for a 60 day covid extension they could apply for another one prior to November 26th.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There is not rule that requires a extension to be canceled 15 days before it ends. That may be what the university wants to do.

They would have to apply for the 60 day covid 19 extension of the day their current extension expirees.

The covid 19 extension can be applied for at any time before November 26th.

Edit: If they could cancel their current extension now and apply for a 60 day covid extension they could apply for another one prior to November 26th.

I just KNEW ubonjoe would know exactly the info we needed!  Thank you maak-maaak, naa.

But I didn't realize a subsequent covid extension could be applied for well in advance of a current covid extention expiry.  It sounds like that would work wonderfully.  Is there a specific number of days in advance that a new covid extension can be applied for, ubonjoe?