Restaurants & Bars Open & Serving Alcohol or Not? The Farce that is Thailand's COVID Alcohol Restrictions

mikosan

The authorities in Thailand have a weird relationship with the idea that other people can have fun drinking alcohol. It's is a Neo-puritanism, where anyone having fun must be doing something wrong or evil, and therefore what they are doing should be banned. Like earlier brethren Puritans, many of the people closing the bars are hypocrites.

Small quantities of alcohol do little but lower inhibitions of people allowing them to enjoy the company that they are in. However alcohol taken to excess is a monster leading to wife beating , road accident, fights etc. 

For COVID control alcohol is not really helpful.....a small amount of alcohol leads to people being amorous, kissing and more....all of which helps to spread COVID. Larger amounts of alcohol make these problems even worse.

Another relevant issue is the British disease where Brits seem unable to have a good time unless they are drunk out of their minds, shouting loudly, attacking each other or innocent bystanders, groping women, and generally being vile people. Thailand could do without this sort of ruffian, but I suspect that if TAT were to give some truthful numbers and analysis, they would see that this ugly Brit-type tourists spend at the high end of the scale and are the source of riches for tourism owners  in Phuket and Pattaya.

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

The local mafias and police can't be too happy about this whole whimsical policy. 

The whole affair appears to be contradictory in nature as it applies business as usual and the historied influence from the power lords. 

• Like 2

During a pandemic it's not unreasonable at all to restrict social gatherings. Why are people getting so twisted up about not being able to go out and drink ... do it at home for goodness sake?*!?#@?

When drinking alcohol our capacity to control our behaviours are impaired e.g. not remembering or if we do not caring about distancing, talking loudly (therefore dispersing moisture droplets from our mouths as we do so), and as we move towards further impairment even more unsafe behaviours as far as a virus sharing is concerned.

As to the bans on drinking out of pandemic times, these restrictions are rather Calvanist in imposed piety, but when in Rome as they say.

For me unless I am using a taxi or a designated driver, drinking when out is simply not on as I have to drive or ride and that I do not do ever do after drinking (even one drink). For my own safety and that of others.

If you are one who takes advantage of the lack of policing and enforcement in LOS by going out, drinking and driving riding, then I implore you to stop doing that.

I drank and drove a great deal as a young man in Australia before the 'breathalyser' came into being, and I was incredibly irresponsible - a lot! I thankfully never hit, injured, maimed, or killed anyone (although I did hit stationary objects a few times).

Safe sober driving friends ☺️????

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 4:09 PM, cclub75 said:

Not only.

You can't analyse the very thai way about alcohol... if you dismiss its long history... the reasons, the forces etc.

It all started with Thaksin when this "outsider" prime minister, although very powerfull, had to "overdo" things in order to be accepted among the Bangkok Traditionnal Elite (he never succeeded of course, hence the multiple coups against him).

The idea was to caress the specific elitist anti alcohol groups (visualize the pooying women with the ridiculous hairdressing)... old "rombières" like we say in France, but highly regarded. USA had the same groups before Prohibition (linked to christian groups). Anyway.

Thaksin started the war against "nightlife" too (with the "drugs" war among other)... Closing bars and clubs early. It was a war against fun, because Elite doesn't like fun.

Then we had the insane laws regarding timing of sales (in supermarket, restaurants etc). It's okay to buy from 11 AM to 2 PM and after 5 PM.

You wan't a beer with your late spanish meal at 2pm01 ?  "no sir, can not". You can drink to death at 1pm50 but not 2pm03...

Again : the idea was to please those groups.

But it was not enough. It's never enough.

Then : we had alcohol ban during... budhist days... and during elections days !!!

To the point where a foreigner, a tourist, can not order a beer in a freaking restaurant or a big hotel in Bangkok because it's "election day"... !

-"But sir, i'm not thai, i can not vote... so why this law applies to me ? Why do you care ?"

-"Do not ask question". ????

Add to this, the military coups (anti fun by essence)... add the 20 years or so of those stupid and insane regulations (hence habits)... and voilà the thai situation.

Now it's engrained. You have a new virus ? Any "emergency" ? Paf ! Ban alcohol !

Alcohol is the convenient ennemy. The scapegoat. For everything and for any politician and/or military officer and/or civil servant without any talent and imagination but who want to "do something".

It's easy to do, it's virtue signalling.

The obsessed groups are still there. Now they are younger, and they have military clothes... And it's even more perverse than elitist and/or religious groups : because most of them drink themselves... but the idea is pure control : "i can but you can't".

"Why ?"

"Because."

Pure evil.

Oh dear.

Lovely, but all of your wacky sociological/historical analysis is highly Bangkok-centric........which has little to do with the rest of the country and how things work. 

Yet another proof of absolute brainlessness of those 1d1ots running this country. Either it is a Buddhist reason - only applicable in Thailand as Buddhists in Burma/Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam have no such booze ban on any Buddhist holiday. Or they pack it up behind "health" issues like the present virus desaster! 

To prevent more infections, Thailand has banned booze - quite obviously the virus is an alcoholic! 

Are these people for real? 

On 9/30/2021 at 7:14 AM, Tropposurfer said:

During a pandemic it's not unreasonable at all to restrict social gatherings. Why are people getting so twisted up about not being able to go out and drink ... do it at home for goodness sake?*!?#@?

When drinking alcohol our capacity to control our behaviours are impaired e.g. not remembering or if we do not caring about distancing, talking loudly (therefore dispersing moisture droplets from our mouths as we do so), and as we move towards further impairment even more unsafe behaviours as far as a virus sharing is concerned.

As to the bans on drinking out of pandemic times, these restrictions are rather Calvanist in imposed piety, but when in Rome as they say.

For me unless I am using a taxi or a designated driver, drinking when out is simply not on as I have to drive or ride and that I do not do ever do after drinking (even one drink). For my own safety and that of others.

If you are one who takes advantage of the lack of policing and enforcement in LOS by going out, drinking and driving riding, then I implore you to stop doing that.

I drank and drove a great deal as a young man in Australia before the 'breathalyser' came into being, and I was incredibly irresponsible - a lot! I thankfully never hit, injured, maimed, or killed anyone (although I did hit stationary objects a few times).

Safe sober driving friends ☺️????

I think you missed my point.  The fact is that regardless of the ban, alcohol is still being served, often behind closed doors, thereby defeating the object of the ban and potentially making the situation worse. 

• Like 1