Semi Commercial flights I am so bloody upset !!!

alyx

We flew out of Thailand in June after buying a ticket with a confirmed return in November 2021  with Thai Airways.

A couple of weeks ago we bought the mandatory insurance

Knowing that things are moving back and forth regrading the quarantine and all "news", it gives us plenty of time to apply for the COE but, nevertheless, it doesn't hurt to check the process...which I did

And I was in for quite a big surprise: there is no semi commercial flight from Paris.

Semi commercial Thai airways flights depart from Denmark, Germany and UK

What a joke !!!!!!!!! I can't imagine the state we would have been in if we had realised that a couple of weeks prior to our departure (which coincides with the end of my spouse's visa in Europe) 

I cannot find the correct words to express my feelings

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

What is semi commercial?

Normal flights, but a subset of the normal air traffic, that are allowed to bring in passengers. Official list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ijBJOTgFJPAuWUfkPIA60iniXB9j9Ba2XHafXzA6JCw/edit#gid=2057293440

Although doesn't exactly look as if they've kept it up to date?

Edited by Salerno
  • Confused 1

Even if you flew on a "semi-commercial flight" from say Germany, you would first take a "fully commercial flight" from Paris to Frankfurt, and this first flight would appear on your COE as well. I think the Thais coined the phrase in the days before the introduction of CEOs, when passenger flights to Thailand were repatriation flights for Thais only.

• Like 1

There are 4 Thai Airways flights from Paris to both Bangkok and Phuket. 

Alyx - Its difficult to comprehend exactly what the issue is 

1735839806_Screenshot2021-09-29at00_55_13.png.ea7062144becd3996a0776d1bd46d963.png1560729813_Screenshot2021-09-29at00_53_53.png.ecde633e87a9171ea3340b7935e4371d.png

With the Examples: Friday 15th Oct - As SandBox is still a think I don’t think anyone wants to be doing ASQ in Bangkok, so sensibly the Schedule from Paris to Bangkok is Via Phuket.

Most people will ’SandBox’ in Phuket before taking a domestic flight to Bangkok.

518185150_Screenshot2021-09-29at01_00_00.png.9a23669a72d117df21c05a2f36e2ba5c.png

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 01.02.40.png

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the ones to Bangkok in your screenshot:

10th and 11th via Frankfurt

15th via Phuket, or Frankfurt and Phuket

16th via Zurich and Phuket

Easy to get to from Paris to Bangkok, but I think the OP must want direct flights.

15 hours ago, treetops said:

Easy to get to from Paris to Bangkok, but I think the OP must want direct flights.

Ah, that explains why he is a little upset. No one wants to spend any longer than necessary on an aircraft. 

However, his apparent fury is perhaps somewhat of an over reaction, he can get to Thailand, it’ll just take a few more hours longer than planned..... *(which is a significant improvement on 3-4 months longer than planned for those of us caught out last year with the Emergency Decree and halting of arriving flights).

Edited by richard_smith237

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 5:55 PM, bkk6060 said:

What is semi commercial?

Anyway, your post seems lacking in research Thai Air has 3 flight a week from Paris to Bkk.

The concept of “semi-commercial” has been explained above. Even though the flights show up ( and I have been booked on one )it doesn’t mean that they are actually allowed in Thailand ( or even depart ) . There is no flight allowed from Paris with Thai Airways in direction of Bangkok. Air France has on weekly “semi-commercial / repatriation” flight. Thai flies to Phuket on Fridays 

On 9/28/2021 at 10:43 PM, treetops said:

Thanks for taking the time to search and reply. The fact is that I have already paid for the Paris Bangkok five months ago ( as I flew in Denmark from Bangkok on the first leg ). I am waiting for confirmation but it seems that I have been able to re route  to Phuket on the same date initially booked. I wanted to avoid extra expense hence the reason why I was looking for a direct flight , you are correct 

On 9/29/2021 at 2:29 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Ah, that explains why he is a little upset. No one wants to spend any longer than necessary on an aircraft. 

However, his apparent fury is perhaps somewhat of an over reaction, he can get to Thailand, it’ll just take a few more hours longer than planned..... *(which is a significant improvement on 3-4 months longer than planned for those of us caught out last year with the Emergency Decree and halting of arriving flights).

I would not have been upset about the extra time. I just cannot fathom how I can buy a return ticket from Thailand to realise that the second leg is not authorised and…it is only because I was looking at the documents needed to re enter that I realised that  my flight was non existent 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:04 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Alyx - Its difficult to comprehend exactly what the issue is 

1735839806_Screenshot2021-09-29at00_55_13.png.ea7062144becd3996a0776d1bd46d963.png1560729813_Screenshot2021-09-29at00_53_53.png.ecde633e87a9171ea3340b7935e4371d.png

With the Examples: Friday 15th Oct - As SandBox is still a think I don’t think anyone wants to be doing ASQ in Bangkok, so sensibly the Schedule from Paris to Bangkok is Via Phuket.

Most people will ’SandBox’ in Phuket before taking a domestic flight to Bangkok.

518185150_Screenshot2021-09-29at01_00_00.png.9a23669a72d117df21c05a2f36e2ba5c.png

Screenshot 2021-09-29 at 01.02.40.png

Thanks for the screenshots 

but, unfortunately this is not a correct information: There is only one authorised flight to Phuket on a weekly basis …TG 930.

But as I have mentioned earlier , I was able to reroute my ticket and I am waiting for confirmation 

thanks for the help 

Thank you everyone and sorry about the delay in response as I was not aware that anyone had replied ( I did it get any notifications )as I hadn’t clicked the “follow the topic” button. How silly of me to believe that I would be notified as the creator of the thread ???? )

• Confused 1