Any recommendations for the best area to do the 7 day sandbox in?

scotinsiam

Hi Guys,

I am planning to return to Thailand via the 7 day sandbox programme in October - I was hoping some of you already living there could advise on which area has at least some life? Do you think Phuket town might be the most normal at the moment? Not expecting any real nightlife but some daytime life / restaurants and open 711s would be good.

cheers

Yes, Phuket Town is the closest to normal of any place in Phuket.  Also,  2021 Phuket Vegetarian Festival will begin on Wednesday, October 6 and ends on Thursday, October 14.  It is an amazing festival and is centered on Phuket Town.

https://www.jamiesphuketblog.com/2016/04/phuket-vegetarian-festival-schedule.html?m=0

15251334750_9b9800b2a0_z.jpg

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1

While much of Patong is closed, there are lots of shops and restaurants open on the beach road  between Holiday Inn Resort and Kudo Beach club. There are plenty of restaurant options and Patong beach is actually quite pleasant. DoubleTree Hilton is in a good location and has some very reasonable rates. 

Last week there were about 15 "restaurants" open on Bangla road but they closed after a raid. I'm sure they will all reopen on October 1. 

• Like 1

Depends on what is most important to you. I've stayed on Phuket many, many times. For me, I like the clean waters and beach of Kata. Pre-pandemic, it was always hopping. Now, 98% of retaurants and businesses are closed though some are open (at least last time I was there during 2020 pre-sandbox). I assume that the sandbox scheme has opened a few more. If, like me, the beach is important, I wouldn't suggest Phuket Town. Maybe hit Rawai if you want more action. Beach is not as nice as Kata and Karon, though. 

• Like 1

I've just spent a very pleasant month in Patong, yes, it's mostly closed but a few restaurants are open and a few bars open (opened as restaurants, serving cold drinks in cups).

These last 2 weeks have been quieter than things were at the beginning of September but still able to have sundowners at sunset at the edge of the beach, just be discrete.

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 2:49 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Having ‘Sandboxed’ for two weeks a few weeks ago I would recommend Rawai. 

I stayed in both Rawai and Bang Tao \ laguna areas - Rawai was more lively, more restaurants open (bars were closed). 

Nai Harn beach had life and was quite busy in the late afternoon / really evening. 

Laguna area seemed quite pleasant but was more family orientated, but with less to do. 

Plenty of restaurants in both places. 

I rode down to Patong, didn’t even bother getting off the bike, a lot of it was closed. I didn’t try there in the evening.

IF visiting the beach every day doesn’t interest you I would imagine Phuket town could be quite enjoyable for a week with plenty of restaurants and now that the bars are opening up there could be plenty of places to enjoy a few beers.

If you want girl fun - I guess patong would be the place to go to. 

Hi Richard any Hotel recommendations in Rawai? I think it sounds like the best option - many thanks

14 hours ago, JCP108 said:

Depends on what is most important to you. I've stayed on Phuket many, many times. For me, I like the clean waters and beach of Kata. Pre-pandemic, it was always hopping. Now, 98% of retaurants and businesses are closed though some are open (at least last time I was there during 2020 pre-sandbox). I assume that the sandbox scheme has opened a few more. If, like me, the beach is important, I wouldn't suggest Phuket Town. Maybe hit Rawai if you want more action. Beach is not as nice as Kata and Karon, though. 

I too prefer the beach and have stayed in Karon several times.  Of course turning around and looking up and seeing the Big white buddha on the hill top really is quite surreal.   No idea on the eatery choices at the moment since I have not been there since 2019.  Loved the place about midway between Karon and Kata that had 4 or 5 restaurants on the left side of the road as you walk towards Kata.  Phuket Town .. eh. small shops street after street. A big night market with eating stalls but they are a dime a dozen in Thailand and nothing was unique.  I don't shop for stuff so did not do much for me.  I did take the ferry from Phuket Pier to Ao Nang once. Gosh what a pretty scenic trip as you motor past little islands

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pagallim said:

Air Asia are re-commencing direct Phuket/Chiang Mai flights from 15th October.   You can book directly with SHA+ hotels.  

A good source of information on the 'Sandbox' is the Facebook group page, just search for Phuket Sandbox.

Thanks I am heading there now. 

A post with insulting comments toward another member has been removed. 

Off topic deflection posts and replies about Pattaya have been removed as this topic is about the Phuket sandbox:

Forum Netiquette

7. Please do not post off-topic responses in an attempt to hijack the thread. Such posts will be deleted. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2021 at 8:16 PM, Phoenix Rising said:

The Governor of Phuket province has today announced that restos will be allowed to serve alcohol until 2200 hrs so if you like a drink with your food then that's the only place in Thailand where you can do that.

Not quite true, Samui has also authorised alcohol in restaurants.

If you want lively - Phuket.

If you want tranquil - Samui/KPN/Tao (better weather as well?)

5 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not quite true, Samui has also authorised alcohol in restaurants.

If you want lively - Phuket.

If you want tranquil - Samui/KPN/Tao (better weather as well?)

So Phuket is not tranquil? Also your weather comment, not true?

On 9/30/2021 at 11:01 PM, scotinsiam said:

Hi Richard any Hotel recommendations in Rawai? I think it sounds like the best option - many thanks

Plenty of hotels in the Rawai area...  But it really depends on your budget and mobility etc.

i.e. Do you want to be close to Nai Harn Beach ? or do you prefer to be close to the main Rawai Strip (much of which is closed anyway).

Do you want a private pool villa, or is a simple room enough ?

Will you be hiring a car or motorcycle to get about etc

- Rawai Palm Beach Resort - cheap, well located

- Serenity Resort - has private pool suites (but no onsite breakfast etc)

- Sunsiri  - has private pool, is well located close to Nai Harn Beach

An Agoda search will bring up a lot of SHA+ properties for you to choose. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ANSAYA PHUKET said:

I stayed in the Bang Tao area a couple of weeks ago....   restaurants are open but it still pretty quiet, not much going on other than restaurants open at Boat Avenue area. 

I also stayed at Rawai for the first week, much more was open, was much livelier and had some life to without being crowded. 

• Like 2