hospital pricing...

1FinickyOne

With the recent news of farang pricing in hospitals...

how does this effect the Thai wife of a farang? Would she receive farang pricing if accompanied by a farang husband who was paying the bills?

Or is it better for the farang to remain in the background? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

My local government hospital charges me the same as any other unregistered patient.

50bht hospital/doctor fees plus itemised treatments and pills if any.

Same as the Burmese have to pay.

My post was asking about private hospitals... not local government hospitals. I know how inexpensive local hospitals can be but some issues are better handled in a private hospital... when the needs are great, you can walk in and see a doctor w/o waiting half a day... and there is no question that the capabilities are better at the private hospital. 

6 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

For Thais, in State hospitals, she will have to show her national ID card and then she will be priced as a Thai. Doesn't matter if you are there or not.

Thanks - but not interested at the moment in a State Hospital... we are in need of a top of the line private hospital... 

38 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Thanks - but not interested at the moment in a State Hospital... we are in need of a top of the line private hospital... 

You should have stated that in your OP then instead of wasting people's time.

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

Does not affect Thais, they are billed at the lowest rate. Next rate is Asean, then non-asean with work permit, then tourist/retired.

Is there a link to an official document to verify this?

1 hour ago, MRToMRT said:

Does not affect Thais, they are billed at the lowest rate. Next rate is Asean, then non-asean with work permit, then tourist/retired.

Correct if at a government hospital.

YMMV at a private hospital, some are rather "creative" when it comes to billing.

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

The farang pricing news you refer to is only at government hospitals hence posters assumed that was what you meant.

Private hospitals have autonomy in their price schedules. Some have the same rate for everyone, some have different rates for foreigners and Thais, some have a 3 tier thing which distinguishes between resident foreigners and tourists (though the billing office will often just assume all foreigners are tourists and charge accordingly, may take some effort to get the resident expat rate).

I don't think any have a different official price schedule for Thais married to foreigners but it may affect how they "construct" the bill.

You really need to specify the hospital you mean as they all vary.

• Like 2

The recent news was a law decision on legality of two tier pricing in Government Hospitals which believe is why your OP was not understood.

As for Private Hospitals would only consider the top few to be generally better than government due to it being 90% doctor 10% building for most conditions.  But a good doctor is what most want in either facility and in most cases private will be more comfortable and timely.

Some private hospitals will indeed have two tier price system, at least for room, and in my experience admin will often quote foreign price to my Thai wife (if we mention having foreign insurance - but lower when Thai asks for lower price) - actual bill is always the Thai price even when quoted more (perhaps because we pay in cash and then apply for insurance refund).

In any case it seem perfectly OK to question what charges will be and ask for discounts (although admit I seldom do so).  But a Thai is expected to ask for a discount anywhere.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1