How to get out of Udon

alex88

I urgently need to move this month but I can't find any trains or buses running. Is Udon completely cut off from land travel? I can't fly because I have a lot of luggage/appliances etc. I'm moving to another part of Thailand. Does anybody know of any transport options available? I'm at a complete loss as to how I can get out of here. 

20 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

You could probably hire a driver with a pick up truck. They usually hand around the bus station as well. Or there will be somebody there that know a guy that can drive you and your stuff.

I imagine a pick up truck for 1 passenger to go 8 hours would cost several thousand baht. Hoping for a train or bus at least most of the way. 

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, starky said:

How do you plan to take "a lot" of luggage, appliances on a bus? You need to be more specific  about where you wish to go and how much you intend to transport if you want some solid advice. And if you know already train and bus services aren't as normal how would you be hoping for one? 

If it is urgent as you say surely a few thousand baht would be a small price to pay. Failing that many places in Udon will hire a hilux, ranger or similar on short term rental.

I already looked into the train. You're allowed to bring 20kg of luggage and unlimited other luggage that you can pay for. I don't have a choice, I need to be in my hometown near Nakhon Sawan by the end of the month. If I can't get a train then I am hoping to buy extra tickets on the bus for extra luggage. Hiring a Hilux isn't an option as I don't have a license to drive a car. I've been riding a motorbike for years now. I was expecting transport to be back to normal by now. The restrictions are a lot more extreme than expected. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, alex88 said:

I already looked into the train. You're allowed to bring 20kg of luggage and unlimited other luggage that you can pay for. I don't have a choice, I need to be in my hometown near Nakhon Sawan by the end of the month. If I can't get a train then I am hoping to buy extra tickets on the bus for extra luggage. Hiring a Hilux isn't an option as I don't have a license to drive a car. I've been riding a motorbike for years now. I was expecting transport to be back to normal by now. The restrictions are a lot more extreme than expected. 

Oh and by appliances I mean a rice cooker, hotplate, and kettle. Nothing crazy. Plus two large suitcases full of personal belongings. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

As a previous poster has sugested, I wouldn't be surprised if a taxi would take you.

My taxi driver in Hua Hin told us recently that he took a passenger to Udon Thani, a little over 750 kms, he charged 5,000 Baht.

That's promising since Nakhon Sawan is quite a bit closer. I thought it would be a lot more expensive than that. 

4 hours ago, alex88 said:

I imagine a pick up truck for 1 passenger to go 8 hours would cost several thousand baht. Hoping for a train or bus at least most of the way. 

And then what....thumb a lift?   555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Are those vans running in your area?  My wife went from Pattaya to BKK to Nakon Ratchasima without any problems by those van service companies.

Edit: Udonthani Van Station (Central Shopping Center).

Edited by bbko

1 minute ago, bbko said:

Are those vans running in your area?  My wife went from Pattaya to BKK to Nakon Ratchasima without any problems by those van service companies.

You mean she is still alive!   555

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And then what....thumb a lift?   555

Grab taxi between the gaps. And get a friend to pick me up when I'm almost there. Nakhonchaiair claims to be running normal schedule. I need to find out and confirm somehow. If I can get a bus from Udon to Phitsanulok, and Phitsanulok to Nakhon Sawan I'm sorted. Either than it train via Korat/Saraburi if they are running. 

4 hours ago, alex88 said:

Sure it will. If you are living in and moving in Thailand, I expected you to can afford that kind of living.

5 hours ago, theoldgit said:

As a previous poster has sugested, I wouldn't be surprised if a taxi would take you.

My taxi driver in Hua Hin told us recently that he took a passenger to Udon Thani, a little over 750 kms, he charged 5,000 Baht.

Yep mate came to visit me in Udon by taxi meter from Pattaya cost him 5000 baht but he knew the driver

Rent a pick up or larger car with different drop off point from Udon. Costs a bit more but very convenient. I could have rented a small car for 1 or 2 days from Phuket to Udon for £115 which I didnt think was too bad. Mind u it gets more expensive closer to the rental date. I always use economycarrentals.com. Never had a problem.

Edited by SunsetT

37 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Rent a pick up or larger car with different drop off point from Udon. Costs a bit more but very convenient. I could have rented a small car for 1 or 2 days from Phuket to Udon for £115 which I didnt think was too bad. Mind u it gets more expensive closer to the rental date. I always use economycarrentals.com. Never had a problem.

He doesn't want to do that . No drivers license ????

8 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Maybe a mate who can drive....they could then return the car to Udon for him.

Your my plan A is to rent a car and get a mate to drive. But i don't know if it's likely to happen to looking at plan B. 

• Like 1

wouldnt it be easier just to pay the 5,000 baht or so for a driver for door to door service ?

I mean unless your very very low on funds surely going to the trouble of lugging around bags and luggage and changing buses,waiting in bus stations, risk of covid,  etc would be a headache  ,would be for me anyway ,but maybe your on a pension i dont know your financial circumstances but would you save much going thru all that ? not to mention more time waiting for buses etc 

On 10/10/2021 at 6:55 PM, georgegeorgia said:

wouldnt it be easier just to pay the 5,000 baht or so for a driver for door to door service ?

I mean unless your very very low on funds surely going to the trouble of lugging around bags and luggage and changing buses,waiting in bus stations, risk of covid,  etc would be a headache  ,would be for me anyway ,but maybe your on a pension i dont know your financial circumstances but would you save much going thru all that ? not to mention more time waiting for buses etc 

I'm actually planning to ride a motorbike now and get a friend to drive with my belongings. I will have to leave a lot of larger items behind though. I have no idea how to have furniture items moved, or whether it's worth it. I feel like the cost of having furniture moved might cost more than simply buying new furniture.