Water cleaning

Pink7

If your any good at DIY or have someone else do it for you, you probably could do it a lot cheaper, I bought these from Lazada, then just added the filter media that suits my needs.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/12-52-blue-tmf56a-i624360794-s1192846714.html?spm=a2o4m.10453683.0.0.43f358d6YqnZ0u&search=store&mp=3

For me I have one that filters incoming water to the storage tanks, then two that filter the water from the tanks to the house. 

You need to look at your incoming water quality to decide what you need.

Thanks, exactly what i looking for.. They showed up here 5 or 6 taking to wife and give 7 days for testing it it. Price 19k !!!. Can you share some photo of your solution?

With so many to show up i just expected it had to be quite overpriced

Pink

Edited by Pink7

Not everybody the same when it comes to filtering water, our water looks muddy most of the time. Also most of the time we have no pressure. Our set-up is we have an in-ground tank that the company water dribble's into, from there we pump the water through the 1st deep bed filter to the above ground tank's, So our 1st filter is a sand filter, going to change this to anthracite when I get back on my feet. When the house draws water from the aboveground tank's it passes through the the 2nd filter filled with Zelbrite then the 3rd filled with Carbon, this covers the main house. For drinking quality water we have a a 7 filter drinking water system with UF and UV.

Thanks for the info. i have a smaller water cleaner system with 3 filters, but its getting filled up with dirt (look like soil pieces) so fast so i not use it. So i want to put this thank in front to get out the larger dirty items in the water before next filtering. The demo tank have no issues ( ther than over priced) Any suggestions what i should use to filter for the tank?

I have a separate smaller cleaner for drinking water i use on water from roofing, currently not in operation, i need to connect some pvc pipes, the hose solution i had was not so practical.

Pink

Do you have a water storage tank or is your water straight from the main, you need a reasonable pressure for backwash. We back wash ours monthly

One tank will do, you could put multiple layers of filter media in the one big tank or just the one media type, I like anthracite as a first line of defense, it will reduce the amount of silt and other <deleted> that comes through, then the Zeolite (the brand name I bought was Zelbrite) I got this from a pool shop, this will filter down to below 5 micron, then activated carbon.

Here's a pic I nicked from the internet to give you an idea.

activated-carbon-filter-500x500.jpg

So if i buy the 52/12 inch tank you linked to, i fill it up with anthracite? how much should i buy/use?

I have large water storage tanks for rainwater but currently not use any for the main water supply.

Pink

I need to clean out the largest particles in the water who make my current cleaner only last a few days before filters filled. No testing done, but i currently have a tank for testing who is working fine. Same as in attachment..

Pink

OK, so it's crunchy bits.

If you are clogging filters that rapidly you need a multi-stage filter. A coarse one to remove the biggest particles, followed by progressively finer filters until you reach your desired level.

We have a simple polyester filter on our incoming supply to get the big bits out, nothing else except for an RO system which provides drinking water. I change the poly filter when it goes the colour of stewed tea.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

We have a simple polyester filter on our incoming supply to get the big bits out, nothing else except for an RO system which provides drinking water. I change the poly filter when it goes the colour of stewed tea.

Do you have a photo or a link to a simple polyester filter?

Pink

Nice photo but I wasn't quite sure which was which.

I have been through quite a lot of this recently. Our water comes from a well about 100 m deep, and we are just outside Krabi so in limestone country.

Therefore there are three issues:

1  Getting rid of the big lumps

2  Dealing with hardness

3  Getting potable water

The first one is easy and, as suggested by Crossy, can be dealt with by a pleated sediment filter. Ours is a Stiebel Eltron one which is not too large, good enough for 500 litres/day, and will need the element replaced about every 6 months for about Bt 1,000.

The second one is harder. I have recently installed a resin ion exchange filter, bought from Lazada for about Bt 12,000. Did it all myself without issues. Main reason for this was my wife was concerned about lime scale in pots and pans, and around WCs. What does not get explained much is what ion exchnage does. In very basic terms it changes the calcium salts, mainly calcium sulphate, to sodium salts, but the salts still remain in the water. We took samples of unfiltered water, ion exchange filtered water, and potable water to Homepro to get them tested using a proprietary system of adding measured volumes of chemicals and checking the colour change, and they found hardly any difference! I think there is a problem that the staff know how to perfrom the test, but do not necssarily understand what it is actually testing.

I then bought an electrical water tester, and some test strips for CaSO4, and now think I understand! The electrical water tester shows about 400 ppm of Total Dissolved Solids (<deleted>) on both untreated and treated water. This is because the calcium salts and the sodium salts are both dissolved solids, so no change in <deleted>. When I used the test strips the CaSO4 levels after ion exchange were very much lower, < 50 compared to > 250. So I believe the ion exchange filter is working and will reduce lime scale in washing machine, kettles, coffee machine etc.

Lastly potable water, and I emphasise that I am no expert in this. I have however read from what would appear to be reliable sources, McGill University and a British Utility Company, that from a health point of view (particulalry coronary issues) it may be better to drink hard water than softened water. I think that this is because, overall, calcium is better for you than sodium, and much of it goes straight through. Some people worry about kidney stones, but there is apparently an equal if not greater risk from sodium salts than from calcium. I also believe that our bodies do need many of the minerals that are in water, so drinking water that has been distilled or passed through an RO may not be a good thing. I am now trying to work out how to get my well water potable without going through the ion exchange filter, which is outside at the other end of the house. Coming from a 100 m deep well it is unlikely to be contaminated by surface pollutants such as fertilisers etc.

Hope this helps

If you pump the water from the well first in a separate sedimentation tank, leave it there for 2 -3 days - the sedimentation process can be sped up by adding chlorine and alum (saan som, in Thailand cheap and easily available) - with an outlet 10cm higher over the bottom, then only to let the water to your filter and storage tank. The sediments, lime and surely some metals (iron) will stay at the bottom of the sedimentation tank, drained every few months.  This will relieve your filter system substantially.

Unfortunately, it cannot be automatised as continuous process, the new water addition contaminates the water already cured and sedimented in the tank.  So, it has to be run batch by batch.