What's With All The Monks Smoking Cigarettes?

Weho

I have often considered entering monkhoob for some time but on observing that there is a predilection for monks to smoke means I would be unable to endure the community at the Wat as I am asthmatic

Sounds like the dog ate your homework.

Don't worry, in forest monestaries there is no shortage of fresh air, and farang monks don't smoke anyway.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to consider is that what percentage of men in Thailand smoke? 70%? 80%? I don't know the percentage but it's a lot larger than in the West.

They are just a few decades behind us on "politically correct" issues, recycling and waste management is another example.

As much as it disappoints me to see a monk smoking I don't think it's a monk thing as much as a Thai thing.

I don't understand why Thai laypeople are so keen to offer the monks cigarettes though, what kind of merit can you make by giving slow suicide in a box?

Edited by Brucenkhamen

I just opened the thread as I assumed it was a female's question... :o

Actually when we had our house blessed, one of the older Thais told us to buy some alcohol (rice wine) and cigarettes to offer to the spirit as part of the ceremony. In a similar context I was a bit surprised these should be part of the offerings.

I just opened the thread as I assumed it was a female's question... :D

Actually when we had our house blessed, one of the older Thais told us to buy some alcohol (rice wine) and cigarettes to offer to the spirit as part of the ceremony. In a similar context I was a bit surprised these should be part of the offerings.

Thanks Im not a women but I am a Nurse for 38 years. Im not so worried about the Monks as Im the Children who see this behavior and then of course if it's good for the Monks then it is OK for children to follow their example. I have seen frist hand as what smoking does to you. In the US over 600,000 people die each year from smoking related deaths and it's not a quick death they suffer. Not to mention health costs. We cant stop it because there is BIG money in Tobaco and since the USA in comming around to having some laws that prevent you from smoking just about anywhere, they now make big bucks from the Asain market. Sick huh? :o

I too have seen the Monks smoke in the Temple grounds.

They are just a few decades behind us on "politically correct" issues, recycling and waste management is another example.

Are you living in the same Thailand as I am? Have you not seen the motorbike 'trucks' laden with cardboard boxes or empty plastic bottles? Now what do you think these people are doing? Do you think they have a cardboard fetish?

I will not lower myself to comment on the PC Brigade.

Some people smoke, some don't, some people drink, some don't, some people go to 'girly' bars, some don't. We are all individuals with free will! Would you come into my house and tell me what to do?

I too have seen the Monks smoke in the Temple grounds.

And some can be seen in the supermarkets at the checkouts money in hand :o

Said by my wife "bad monk". But this is all to common.

And yet there are those who would learn and pass on Buddhism (even here) using Thai precepts and what they learn in country.

Are you living in the same Thailand as I am? Have you not seen the motorbike 'trucks' laden with cardboard boxes or empty plastic bottles? Now what do you think these people are doing? Do you think they have a cardboard fetish?

No, the last time I lived in Thailand is 2004. I can't say I recall ever seeing motorbike 'trucks' laden with cardboard boxes or empty plastic bottles. Streets littered with plastic bags and plastic bottles are my recollection. When I tell Thais we sort our rubbish into recyclable and non-recyclable before collection they are genuinely surprised.

Some people smoke, some don't, some people drink, some don't, some people go to 'girly' bars, some don't. We are all individuals with free will! Would you come into my house and tell me what to do?

I think you are missing the point of this thread, nobody is coming to your house to tell you what to do. But if you come to my house wearing robes and expect me to put food in your bowl then I think I've got the right to expect you to live a clean life.

I think you are missing the point of this thread, nobody is coming to your house to tell you what to do. But if you come to my house wearing robes and expect me to put food in your bowl then I think I've got the right to expect you to live a clean life.

Really? I always thought that the monks were doing you a favour by allowing you to make merit rather than you doing them a favour by feeding them.

Frankly, In Spore, sometime we will see monks/nun carry their alms bowl asking for donation. I usually will just walk off. It's not right for them to ask for money. In thailand, all we do was giving them food and not money. Monks should not beg for money. Sad to say, there is always black sheep walking around. As for smoking wise, indeed many monks does smoke, some choose to eat betal nut instead.

In Singapore...as in Taiwan and china...the monks are Mahayana......and they have different rules about money....and can even cook for themselves....something Theravada monks cannot

No, the last time I lived in Thailand is 2004. I can't say I recall ever seeing motorbike 'trucks' laden with cardboard boxes or empty plastic bottles. Streets littered with plastic bags and plastic bottles are my recollection. When I tell Thais we sort our rubbish into recyclable and non-recyclable before collection they are genuinely surprised.

they dont come to your house, they walk by your house and if you want to come out to the road and give them food, thats up to you. they dont EXPECT you to

In theory, yes, I doubt they are completely unattached in practice. They know which houses they will usually get their daily fix from.

And the sight of a monk doing his morning rounds is intimidating for laymen who don't want to give him anything, they ARE under pressure to donate.

In a way collecting donations is not very different from gathering fruit in the forest, you go out, you pick what's available, and you hope it will be enough.

they dont come to your house, they walk by your house and if you want to come out to the road and give them food, thats up to you. they dont EXPECT you to

I think you are missing the point of this thread, nobody is coming to your house to tell you what to do. They dont come to your house, they walk by your house and if you want to come out to the road and give them food thats up to you, they dont EXPECT you to, but if you do I think you've got the right to expect them to live a clean life.

...happy now?

I think you are missing the point of this thread, nobody is coming to your house to tell you what to do. They dont come to your house, they walk by your house and if you want to come out to the road and give them food thats up to you, they dont EXPECT you to, but if you do I think you've got the right to expect them to live a clean life.

...happy now?

no. giving them food gives you no such right

Well if that's the case I shall exercise my right not to give them food, I'll seek out monks that are living a clean life and give to them instead. Over time if Thai people see the monks as not living up to monkly standards they'll do the same, though I think it will take a long time.

• 2 months later...

Well if that's the case I shall exercise my right not to give them food, I'll seek out monks that are living a clean life and give to them instead. Over time if Thai people see the monks as not living up to monkly standards they'll do the same, though I think it will take a long time.

In my eyes the peasant rice farmers wife summarised the situation by referring to the smoking monk as:

"He is bad monk'.

On spiritual matters the family ride their scooters/bicycles to the temple in the next village.

On Buddhism in Thailand:

"I think many have dragged this noble fountain of knowledge into little more than a political religious institution."

:o

There's a problem with Thai Buddhism, it just doesn't work anymore for an increasing number of people. This change is slow but eroding nevertheless, and it's irreversible until some kind of reformation breaths in a new life.

In a sense Thais don't think too mut about it, they just ignore it having been bored to death with meaningless sermons from an early age.

Farangs are naturally more concerned about their newly adopted religion/philosophy.

There's a problem with Thai Buddhism, it just doesn't work anymore for an increasing number of people. This change is slow but eroding nevertheless, and it's irreversible until some kind of reformation breaths in a new life.

In a sense Thais don't think too mut about it, they just ignore it having been bored to death with meaningless sermons from an early age. This change is slow but eroding nevertheless, and it's irreversible until some kind of reformation breaths in a new life.

Farangs are naturally more concerned about their newly adopted religion/philosophy.

A fair assessment.