Non Immigrant O Visa Extension

stament

When should you submit your extension?  Last year I submitted mine early and they didn't start the 12 months taking into account my expiry date so effectively I think my visa expiry was something like 22 Dec but they gave me the extension until 23 November so I lost out on about 1 month.  The money isn't so much annoying (11 months vs 12) as much as the time being short-changed.

Is there a way to prevent this?  Was what they did the normal way of doing extensions?  They advised people to come early due to all the covid issues so I did but then it appears I got "shafted!."   Reminds me of the time I arrived with a 3 month visa and they stamped me on arrival at the airport for just one month.  I had to visit Immigration and go through all the hassle of getting them to admit their mistake and correct it.

As I am coming up for my renewal again, I'm wondering when I should submit if my expiry date is 23 November for example.   If I submit one week before do I get an extension or will I have to leave the country by 23rd November if my visa hasn't been processed by then?

Thanks in advance TV members.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, fangless said:

Normally in CM the renewal can be done up to 45 days prior to exp date and is extended for one year from the old exp date not the application date.  This does NOT apply if you are changing your type of extension.

Always pays to check these dates on your passport in front of the IO when they hand back your passport and challenge there and then.

Can they correct it later?  Maybe a better phrase is will they...

my ext expires on 31 and one year they put 21 instead.  i didn't notice until a few weeks later.  i went to get a re-rentry permit and they noticed the error.  they took me over to the L desk at CW in BKK (for retirement and marriage extensions) and had them correct it.  back to 31.  i assume they'll correct it when you go in for your extension.

Yes on marriage visas one gets short changed….the application date is the day the clock starts ticking not the exp date of actual visa….

so best strategy is to go and apply just b/f visa expires as long as you don’t have problems and they don’t accept it on that date - then make you come back to Re-apply

11 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Yes on marriage visas one gets short changed….the application date is the day the clock starts ticking not the exp date of actual visa….

so best strategy is to go and apply just b/f visa expires as long as you don’t have problems and they don’t accept it on that date - then make you come back to Re-apply

Interesting is this only for marriage visas and if so any logic behind it?

On 10/10/2021 at 8:36 PM, stament said:

Yes, need to check the dates and revert back

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes I got this it was stamped as 23 November 2020 and another stamp said to report back on 23rd December 2020.    My visa extension says I am permitted to stay up until 23rd November 2021.

When should I apply to ensure I get a full one year's extension?  I understand that you can apply up to 45 days before the expiry which means I am already within that 45 day window.

Thanks in advance.

On 10/8/2021 at 8:31 AM, tonray said:

he likely means a visa/extension by reason of marriage to a Thai national

correct, apologies for the confusion.  I originally had a multi non-immigrant O Visa based (obtained outside of Thailand) on my marriage to my Thai wife.  I then applied for the one year extension (from within Thailand) to this last year and obtained it.  I am applying for the extension again.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 6:36 AM, fangless said:

Normally in CM the renewal can be done up to 45 days prior to exp date and is extended for one year from the old exp date not the application date.  This does NOT apply if you are changing your type of extension.

Always pays to check these dates on your passport in front of the IO when they hand back your passport and challenge there and then.

Apart from the usual paperwork do you still need a witness on the second time of renewing or is that process dropped?

Edited by stament

15 hours ago, stament said:

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes I got this it was stamped as 23 November 2020 and another stamp said to report back on 23rd December 2020.    My visa extension says I am permitted to stay up until 23rd November 2021.

When should I apply to ensure I get a full one year's extension?  I understand that you can apply up to 45 days before the expiry which means I am already within that 45 day window.

Thanks in advance.

So you had an extension that ended 23 November 2020 and your next extension ends on 23 November 2021, right?

The December 23, 2020 date was just a report date, not a visa timing date, right?

I think you got a full year extension last time.

22 hours ago, Dante99 said:

So you had an extension that ended 23 November 2020 and your next extension ends on 23 November 2021, right?

The December 23, 2020 date was just a report date, not a visa timing date, right?

I think you got a full year extension last time.

No visa ended in January 2021.

On 10/8/2021 at 5:24 PM, Russell17au said:

I had the same thing last year at Khon Kaen. expiry date 12 Dec went and renewed it early and new expiry date changed to 25 Nov so I am not going in early this year

@Russell17au When are you planning to submit?  Is there a "minimum" number of days you need to submit before expiry?