Thailand's new rules for entry from November 1st are a reasonable first step!

Scouse123

for those who are desperate even  2 weeks ASQ, 3 pcr tests are good enough.

But in comparison to the UK, those 3 pcr test (2 on entry and one on leaving thailand - to comply with airline rules) for some 8000b, one night at ASQ while waiting for results for around 3000b, good insurance for some 6000b and asymptomatic quarantine (not necessarily covered by insurance, as no treatment is offered, so 40k at hospitel and 60k at hospital) all means minimum 17k back.

Multiply by all members if it's family holiday.

This proposed flow test on return to UK would be probably free or few quid. Home quarantine is free and nothing comparable to hospitel, where you are confined to your room at all time.

Edited by internationalism

23 minutes ago, internationalism said:

for those who are desperate even  2 weeks ASQ, 3 pcr tests are good enough.

But in comparison to the UK, those 3 pcr test (2 on entry and one on leaving thailand - to comply with airline rules) for some 8000b, one night at ASQ while waiting for results for around 3000b, good insurance for some 6000b and asymptomatic quarantine (not necessarily covered by insurance, as no treatment is offered, so 40k at hospitel and 60k at hospital) all means minimum 17k back.

Multiply by all members if it's family holiday.

This proposed flow test on return to UK would be probably free or few quid. Home quarantine is free and nothing comparable to hospitel, where you are confined to your room at all time.

Can you explain your second sentence regards PCR test on leaving Thailand - to comply with airline rules! I am flying Qatar to UK via Doha and haven't seen anything regarding a PCR test in Thailand before flying?  The UK isn't asking for a test, are you saying Qatar is?

Also, Thailand is only proposing one test on entry not two, correct?

I am unsure about whether or not asymptomatic is covered under my Maximi plus insurance with Pacific Cross, so I can't comment on that. I will try check that.

I get your point about families, I never thought about that one, so it looks like too early to take the risk for families, maybe?

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

Are you saying that to fly back to the Uk you still have to fill out a passenger locator form and book and pay for online to one of many overpriced companies for an antigen test on day 2 that is available freely at any pharmacist.?

Thought this nonsense had ended. sadly im wrong, still cant just book and pay for a flight and go.

• Like 1

some 3 weeks ago I wanted to do atk to europe, medconsult clinic in thonglor replied:

"Donna Robinson <[email protected]>

Mon, 27 Sept, 20:09

to me

Atk is rapid antigen test kit

Are you sure that Etihad airline accepted?

For international flight they need RT-PCR"

so probably depending on airline.

You can contact them, or any other travel clinic, to double check what in practice each air line needs. 

Some 2 weeks ago somebody reported refusal for boarding at BKK for KLM, even there was no details on their own website about tests.

Thailand requires 2 pcr tests on entry - one before boarding and one on arrival.

As to pacific cross - maxima covers 5mln bht. I have from them the basic one, for some 16k, for covid 1 year cover I would have to do "visa friendly" plan for 61k. A much difference, beyond my means

Edited by internationalism
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, internationalism said:

some 3 weeks ago I wanted to do atk to europe, medconsult clinic in thonglor replied:

to me

You can contact them, or any other travel clinic, to double check what in practice each air line needs. 

Some 2 weeks ago somebody reported refusal for boarding at BKK for KLM, even there was no details on their own website about tests.

Thailand requires 2 pcr tests on entry - one before boarding and one on arrival.

As to pacific cross - I have from them the basic one, for some 20k, for covid 1 year cover I would have to do  plan for 61k

I have been looking at Qatar rules and regulations and apart from six countries that they require a PCR test, all the others seem to be allowed for short transit.

I would be there for three hours.

9 minutes ago, sapson said:

Are you saying that to fly back to the Uk you still have to fill out a passenger locator form and book and pay for online to one of many overpriced companies for an antigen test on day 2 that is available freely at any pharmacist.?

Thought this nonsense had ended. sadly im wrong, still cant just book and pay for a flight and go.

Yes,

But as of today and to be implemented from October 24th you take the lateral flow test which is far cheaper.

They haven't updated the website yet so I don't know, but should imagine the same procedure for lateral flow tests as PCR tests,  this must be booked before you can complete the passenger locator form.

And yes again, you still need the overpriced tests because you cannot complete a locator form without a code given after payment for the PCR test.

Most of the complaints are comparing the rules to a literal handful of countries with more lax restrictions.   By and large the 'you're welcome with a bunch of hoops and asterisks' countries are in still in the majority.   

Edited by Heng
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, internationalism said:

to me

As to pacific cross - maxima covers 5mln bht. I have from them the basic one, for some 16k, for covid 1 year cover I would have to do "visa friendly" plan for 61k. A much difference, beyond my means

Hi,

I have got through on the phone to Qatar offices in Doha.

The operator said that because I am not entering the state of Qatar and merely transferring flights then no PCR test is required for Bangkok to Manchester via Doha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, petermik said:

Do not hold your breath on this....PCR test and a night in a designated Hotel is a cash cow they will not discard easily...but with a curfew in place and no evening entertainment with alcohol on the near horizon folk will not be rushing to book flights.....and let us not forget at the slightest whim the authorities here can change the restrictions as they see fit......not worth the risk,try late January and things maybe more clearer.

I agree. If I were in Europe presently Thailand would certainly not be my destination of choice. 

• Like 1

On 10/15/2021 at 5:50 AM, Scouse123 said:

I think in the UK these days expats and Thai visitors as well as all other foreign visitors do not have access to the NHS system with the exception of A and E, so they would be advised to have travel insurance anyway in these uncertain times.

I think you'll find for covid related treatment, its all free in the UK for everyone although for other treatment outside of A&E then you may well have to pay.

Overseas visitors to England, including anyone living in the UK without permission, will not be charged for:

1. testing for coronavirus (even if the test shows you do not have coronavirus)

2. treatment for coronavirus – including for a related problem that affects some children called multisystem inflammatory syndrome

3. vaccination against coronavirus

4. No immigration checks are needed.

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visiting-or-moving-to-england/visitors-from-outside-the-european-economic-area-eea/

On 10/15/2021 at 8:33 AM, sapson said:

You are still required to complete a Passenger Locator Form and pre-book the cheaper lateral flow test. The details of your LFT order will need to be included on your PLF, and you can take the test at home or hotel etc.. uploading a photo of the result after 2 days.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:15 AM, cardinalblue said:

The insurance requirement is even more crazy now given that the effectiveness of the vaccine significantly reduces the severity of the illness….the vast majority don’t need hospitalization let alone icu care….

98% in icu in usa are unvaccinated….

why doesn’t thailand produce the cost of medical care for the fully vaccinated in-patients?

see how that number stacks up against $100,000 coverage 

I looked at my alternative to Thailand. The Costa Rica. Insurance cover required $50,000 with private insurance or the governments own insurance with cover of $20,000. bearing in mind the cost of living is slightly higher than Thailand, but less bureaucratic restrictions.

Why compare Thailand to the U.K.?

That's absurd.

Compare it to Mexico and then you'll understand this new scheme will still repel over 90 percent of potential tourists.

Drop the insurance. 

Drop the test on arrival. 

Otherwise this won't add up to a hill of beans of a tourism recovery.

Edited by Jingthing

and today its reported that even after arriving in the country, PCR tested vaccinated and quarantined they want you to pay for another PCR test before travelling to another province. Typical money making rip off Thailand

https://www.pattayamail.com/coronavirus/local-travelers-may-need-proof-for-inter-provincial-trips-in-thailand-376349

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pixelaoffy said:

and today its reported that even after arriving in the country, PCR tested vaccinated and quarantined they want you to pay for another PCR test before travelling to another province. Typical money making rip off Thailand

https://www.pattayamail.com/coronavirus/local-travelers-may-need-proof-for-inter-provincial-trips-in-thailand-376349

I don't read it that way!

That says that they are floating an idea that local people and local travelers  may, before setting off on a long trip, say  for example, from Bangkok to Roi Et or Khonkaen have to prove 2 doses of vaccine ( fully vaccinated)and a negative PCR test

The foreigners arriving in the country will have already cleared this obstacle on entry to the Kingdom with their PCR test on arrival.

It seems to be leveling the playing field with foreign and domestic travelers