Retirement Extension Bank Account Letter

JWNZ

I'm trying to clarify (based on 800K method) whether the bank letter and passbook update, is still accepted when dated the day before application?

Some are suggesting, the letter is acceptable but the passbook needs to be updated the same day as your application.

I have also heard this may apply to yearly marriage extensions, as opposed to retirement.

Like many of you out there, I have previously been successful with extensions with both the bank letter and passbook updated the day before but now am seeking clarification from any of you who have "actually" successfully extended recently....

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

Chiang Mai immigration now requires a detailed printout of your bank book covering at least one year since your last extension.

Yes, I'm aware of this but I obtained a new OA in 2020, so will be my first extension, thus requiring two months seasoning....Thanks anyway.

I did my Marriage extension last month.  The volunteer checkers outside did not comment on my bank info. When I went inside to the IO that checks and gives you your number, my bank letter dated the day before was fine, my yearly statement was ok, but he said I needed to have a transaction in my bank book that day.  I argued that it was my Foreign Currency Account book and up to date. I did not make any transactions on a regular basis as in a savings account, but there was more than enough funds shown.  He said it didn't matter funds or acct.  I said 18 years and never had to update on the same day.  Finally, he said "Debate with them", giving me a number,  Went to window, the IO checked and had me sign all 86 copies (ridiculous) and never said a thing about the bank book.  Stamped passport, did my 90 day for me, and finished. No problem.

I guess if you want to be on the safe side, get it updated in the morning.  Immigration is not busy now and there are no long lines, so arriving early isn't necessary yet. Or you can be stubborn and take a chance like me.  As usual, all depends on the mood of the IO.

5 minutes ago, silverhawk_usa said:

I did my Marriage extension last month.  The volunteer checkers outside did not comment on my bank info. When I went inside to the IO that checks and gives you your number, my bank letter dated the day before was fine, my yearly statement was ok, but he said I needed to have a transaction in my bank book that day.  I argued that it was my Foreign Currency Account book and up to date. I did not make any transactions on a regular basis as in a savings account, but there was more than enough funds shown.  He said it didn't matter funds or acct.  I said 18 years and never had to update on the same day.  Finally, he said "Debate with them", giving me a number,  Went to window, the IO checked and had me sign all 86 copies (ridiculous) and never said a thing about the bank book.  Stamped passport, did my 90 day for me, and finished. No problem.

I guess if you want to be on the safe side, get it updated in the morning.  Immigration is not busy now and there are no long lines, so arriving early isn't necessary yet. Or you can be stubborn and take a chance like me.  As usual, all depends on the mood of the IO.

Thanks for your detailed reply, appreciate you taking the time.
Yes, Id heard same day bank book update required for marriage but not necessarily retirement.
But agree, no big deal for me to stop at the bank on the way to immigration, deposit 100B and update the book in case. My local branch opens at 8.30am so will aim to arrive at immigration mid morning sometime.

• Thanks 1

Been here 20 years ( 10 years work visa and 10 years retirement visa.

Last times ( Dec 2019 and 2020 ) I did my one year retirement visa at Khon Kaen and asked a similar question out of curiosity, about the letter having to be done same day, yesterday 15 October 2021 I did my 90 day report and asked the same question in preparation for December renewal this year, was told the same "day of application."

I live in Banphai ( 50km south of Khon Kaen ) don't have my own transport so use train, ( no way bus especially now ).     If I go to the bank ( restricted hours and busy and are not used to writing letter even though I have had it done here before, I miss the first train at 9am and hopefully get the second one ( if not cancelled due Covid ) at 11am and back to Banphai at 15.30.

A few times I went to KK on early train and went to K.Bank in KK got the letter there and then to Immigration - no problems.     However when I asked yesterday at Immigration was told has to be bank I am registered at ( twisted logic as  I can use bank card anywhere ).   

This time I have the complication of my UK passport expiring in April and was told by Imm that need to get it done before my next visit in December ( end of current 1 year retirement ) to save lot's of hassle and cost of more extensions of stay.

Sorry for the gabble - the gist of it is - do what they ask, they hold the rubber stamp.

15 minutes ago, CMBob said:

I've gotten annual extensions based on retirement in Chiangmai more than 10 times and my bank letter has always been dated the day before.  Has never been

a problem or even questioned.

Ditto.  Even up to 7 days has never been queried. Just as long as the bank book update and statement printout date are the same as the bank letter date verifying everything. With, of course the usual bank blue stamps and signatures.

Last year, in Nakhon Phanom, I got my documents from the bank the day before I submitted my application, but the immigration officer sent me back to the bank. Everything had to be done the same day.

Normally you should get the confirmation letter within 7 days before application from the branch where you opened the account. They used to be the only ones who could or were allowed to issue such documentation on your account, and I think that's still the case. You should then deposit or withdraw a small amount and update your bank book on the day of application. For this you don't need to go to your branch, or even any branch, you can do this at an ATM, many have a bank book printer built in.

Signing every page of your documents is not ridiculous. In Thailand this is the way to ensure it's a document copy submitted by you at the time of application, and that nobody tampered with it. Every formal documentation requires this, at immigration, at the bank, when running a business, etc. Might be an old habit from a time before everything went digital.

• Like 1

My expiriance at CW, had 1 year of transfers and letter from Bangkok Bank stating it was my account (marriage extension.)   I told my wife need to do a transaction to show activity this day, she said not necessary. IO said need show deposit this day 100 baht ok. Went downstairs and BKK Bank was closing early.  IO said come back tommorow I said I'll be on 1 day overstay. She said it ok no problem , pay 500 baht for over stay/1900 for extension and all good. TIT  This was 2 weeks ago.

ALWAYS check with your LOCAL IO what THEIR requirements are around 45 days in advance of a renew.

Different offices have different requirements for everything.

I know of ONE office that will let you do a "extension of stay" 90 days before it expires, many offices allow 45 days, most are 30 days.

Last few years I go to the Bangkok Bank at 3pm, I make a 1000 baht deposit when that is done and my book update I tell the teller I now need the letter 100 baht 10-15 minutes later it is done. I go to the nearest copying shot and have all the pages xerox for insurance I have all the copy of pages signed and right behind the bank letter when everything is submitted which is always the next morning at JOMTIEN  I'm one of those early bird always first or second in line office opens at 8:30 am, out the door by 8:45 am.

Never a problem I based everything on a 24 hours period.

4 hours ago, CMBob said:

I've gotten annual extensions based on retirement in Chiangmai more than 10 times and my bank letter has always been dated the day before.  Has never been

a problem or even questioned.

Yes, like you I have done many extensions in the "past" and the bank letter and the bank book have been updated the day before and both accepted.
What I'm hearing is the letter is still ok up to 7 days prior, however the book must be updated on the day, more so for marriage but has been requested for retirement also. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

ALWAYS check with your LOCAL IO what THEIR requirements are around 45 days in advance of a renew.

Different offices have different requirements for everything.

I know of ONE office that will let you do a "extension of stay" 90 days before it expires, many offices allow 45 days, most are 30 days.

For extensions based on marriage this is not correct, every IO must follow the same procedure and dead lines. These extensions are run through the central family register in Bangkok and take 30 days to process. You should extend 30-45 days before expiry. If you extend less than 30 days before expiry you will get a temporary visa for 30 days and asked to go back to immigration after 30 days to receive the stamp for the remaining 11 months.

14 hours ago, JWNZ said:

I'm trying to clarify (based on 800K method) whether the bank letter and passbook update, is still accepted when dated the day before application?

Depending of your immigration office, different local rules.

The immigration office I use, accepts for example up to a week old bank letter and statement, I normally get it the day before...????

In CM and I use Fixed deposit account (800,000) for retirement extension and always (5 years+)  obtain just the letter and updated passbook (no extra deposit required) the day before application.  Never been asked for a statement!  

PS; never been asked for proof of living expenses etc via 2nd Pass book/bank account although I always have it available!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fangless said:

In CM and I use Fixed deposit account (800,000) for retirement extension and always (5 years+)  obtain just the letter and updated passbook (no extra deposit required) the day before application.  Never been asked for a statement!  

PS; never been asked for proof of living expenses etc via 2nd Pass book/bank account although I always have it available!

Nor I. I have extended 12 times and have never ever been asked to show a yearly statement just the passbook and letter both of which can be as old as 7 days. On a seperate note 2 wks. ago I went through the divethru window to do 90 day report the IO says to me can not do. Why I ask. He shows me my passport and tells me my 1 yr. extension expired in July! I forgot to renew! I forgot all about it! So mant thoughts racing thru my mind am I on over stay have I lost my retirement visa what am I to do? So I race to the bank for new letter telephone my wife to come to Imm. asap. She explains to IO outside my situation the IO goes inside to check comes back and tells us I am 41 days late on my extension! To my surprise she says don"t worry go to the information counter. I could not believe it, there and then I was given a 1 yr. extension with no penalties no fines and what was so amazing was that I gave them no paper work they asked for nothing no bank book or letter no forms no photos no map to house etc.! Wow!

16 hours ago, cnxgary said:

Nor I. I have extended 12 times and have never ever been asked to show a yearly statement just the passbook and letter both of which can be as old as 7 days. On a seperate note 2 wks. ago I went through the divethru window to do 90 day report the IO says to me can not do. Why I ask. He shows me my passport and tells me my 1 yr. extension expired in July! I forgot to renew! I forgot all about it! So mant thoughts racing thru my mind am I on over stay have I lost my retirement visa what am I to do? So I race to the bank for new letter telephone my wife to come to Imm. asap. She explains to IO outside my situation the IO goes inside to check comes back and tells us I am 41 days late on my extension! To my surprise she says don"t worry go to the information counter. I could not believe it, there and then I was given a 1 yr. extension with no penalties no fines and what was so amazing was that I gave them no paper work they asked for nothing no bank book or letter no forms no photos no map to house etc.! Wow!

Not all IOs are bad.....

On 10/16/2021 at 10:06 AM, JWNZ said:

Chiang Mai immigration,

No need to arrive early in the morning, there's hardly anyone there applying for retirement or family extensions.

Go to the bank when it opens (08:30), get the letter and update your bank book, then along to immigration.

I did it last week, bank at 8:30, immigration by 09:00 ......... no queues and out before 11am.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Thalueng said:

Normally you should get the confirmation letter within 7 days before application from the branch where you opened the account. They used to be the only ones who could or were allowed to issue such documentation on your account, and I think that's still the case. You should then deposit or withdraw a small amount and update your bank book on the day of application. For this you don't need to go to your branch, or even any branch, you can do this at an ATM, many have a bank book printer built in.

Signing every page of your documents is not ridiculous. In Thailand this is the way to ensure it's a document copy submitted by you at the time of application, and that nobody tampered with it. Every formal documentation requires this, at immigration, at the bank, when running a business, etc. Might be an old habit from a time before everything went digital.

I don't object to signing the copies.  Also, I have received confirmation letters from other than my branch a number of times.  My comment about ridiculous was in reference to the number of copies. I have been on a retirement visa for 18 years, and now marriage for two (only used an agent once). For a marriage extension you need two copies of everything they ask for. A Bangkok Bank Statement is one page for each month plus a cover letter. That is 26 copies there.  Add to it the copies of passport, and all the required things that are just repetitions of the past many years, ( eg: the same two photos and maps I used last year), I believe is ridiculous.  They would make it easier on themselves if they would just computerize more and have trust in their own personnel.  Also, the reason they are now asking for 1 year statements is because of the change in rules which require a minimum deposit be maintained the full year for Marriage and Retirement.