Shipping MacBook/Customs

HeijoshinCool

I'm having a friend ship a MacBook Air from the States. It is a month old, but in its original box, therefore it is "used."

Since I've never had reason to ship anything, I'd like suggestions to avoid hangups and being overcharged by customs.

Want to use original box as it's quite strong, but planned on putting it into another, plain box.

Detest FedEx. Hate DHL. Thought I'd send it with USPS. It will be going to a rural area in the southeast. Do I need to pay any fees in person, or by card, etc?

Approximate costs?

Have at it......

In my experience, USPS would be a better decision, it will take longer to arrive.

Becareful how much and what is stated on the declaration when posted.Make sure its trackable.

if it gets stopped and charged, the item will be held at the local PO for the charges to be paid.

As for how much, there is the correct technical answer and the Thai guy who sees it on the day.

May fhe force be with you !

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

In my experience, USPS would be a better decision, it will take longer to arrive.

Becareful how much and what is stated on the declaration when posted.Make sure its trackable.

if it gets stopped and charged, the item will be held at the local PO for the charges to be paid.

As for how much, there is the correct technical answer and the Thai guy who sees it on the day.

May fhe force be with you !

Thanks.

I have an O visa, retirement extension (if that makes a difference)....I was thinking of writing household goods or gift on it and having my address in Thai as well as English.

Thoughts?

So it will go right to the local yokel post office? Well, a 1000 baht bill should make me a new friend, as opposed to having to deal with customs.

• Sad 1

Just now, HeijoshinCool said:

Thanks.

I have an O visa, retirement extension (if that makes a difference)....I was thinking of writing household goods or gift on it and having my address in Thai as well as English.

Thoughts?

So it will go right to the local yokel post office? Well, a 1000 baht bill should make me a new friend, as opposed to having to deal with customs.

It will go through customs before it gets to the Post Office. If you get a notification from your local PO, everything will already have been officially logged and recorded and you'll have to pay what's due. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

It will go through customs before it gets to the Post Office. If you get a notification from your local PO, everything will already have been officially logged and recorded and you'll have to pay what's due. 

Thanks. So what would be the fees on a $1000 phone or computer, 7%?

28 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Thanks. So what would be the fees on a $1000 phone or computer, 7%?

That is the VAT yes usually the minimum. However not sure they will value the computer at $1000. They might think its worth more.

Plus vat is over price + shipping (done in all countries)

Your visa status has no bearing on how much tax you have to pay.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is the VAT yes usually the minimum. However not sure they will value the computer at $1000. They might think its worth more.

Plus vat is over price + shipping (done in all countries)

Your visa status has no bearing on how much tax you have to pay.

Just bought the same computer here in BKK for $993. But I understand there is no correlation with facts and customs. I think I'll just write gift, and $300 on the paperwork.

• Sad 1

Just now, HeijoshinCool said:

Just bought the same computer here in BKK for $993. But I understand there is no correlation with facts and customs. I think I'll just write gift, and $300 on the paperwork.

Maybe your lucky maybe not. But if its 1000$ then you would pay 70$ tax (and 7%) over shipping.

The gift thing is a urban myth that just wont die. Customs does not care gift or not and there are no special rules for gifts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe your lucky maybe not. But if its 1000$ then you would pay 70$ tax (and 7%) over shipping.

The gift thing is a urban myth that just wont die. Customs does not care gift or not and there are no special rules for gifts.

Then the best thing to do is include the original receipt in the box and label as used computer....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Then the best thing to do is include the original receipt in the box and label as used computer....

If it were me, I would go with used electronic circuits, comouter parts ! Less likely to go astray, and supports a lower value. Just remember IF it gets charged its COST + Insurance + shipping x Duty charged %  x 7% Vat.

I would guestimate 3000 baht.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

If it were me, I would go with electronic circuits, comouter parts ! Less likely to go astray, and supports a lower value. Just remember IF it gets charged its COST + Insurance + shipping x Duty charged %  x 7% Vat.

I would guestimate 3000 baht.

Thanks. I like that.

By insurance, you mean USPS insurance? No problem.

I'm just concerned with Thai customs.....

So there is a duty plus  the 7%? Is the duty fixed, or a percentage, or whatever they say it is?

3000 baht total custom charges?

Do they open or X-ray packages?

Sorry for so many questions.....

Whatever the guy deems on the day basically.

They can and do X-ray packages, but I believe its random samples or suspicious etc.

Yes the insurance value via USPS charge

Yes my guess woukd be around 3k to be paid. BUT you might get lucjy and zero ! But I doubt it with a value declared higher than 1500 baht. That will flag it for them.

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Whatever the guy deems on the day basically.

They can and do X-ray packages, but I believe its random samples or suspicious etc.

Yes the insurance value via USPS charge

Yes my guess woukd be around 3k to be paid. BUT you might get lucjy and zero ! But I doubt it with a value declared higher than 1500 baht. That will flag it for them.

Maybe I should just pack it in with some books and dirty underwear.....

14 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Thanks. I like that.

By insurance, you mean USPS insurance? No problem.

I'm just concerned with Thai customs.....

So there is a duty plus  the 7%? Is the duty fixed, or a percentage, or whatever they say it is?

3000 baht total custom charges?

Do they open or X-ray packages?

Sorry for so many questions.....

For notebooks the import rate is 0% so no import tarif, however you will have to pay the 7% over the value of the computer and shipping.

I think 3000 is what you can expect.

Do they open or X rap (yes they do but no its far from 100% people still send drugs by mail)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

For notebooks the import rate is 0% so no import tarif, however you will have to pay the 7% over the value of the computer and shipping.

I think 3000 is what you can expect.

Really? That's good to know. Thanks! Now I'll move ahead.

Uhm, wait.....a MacBook is considered a notebook, yes....?

23 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

It will be going to a rural area in the southeast.

Sometimes (has happened to me twice so far) customs doesn't open the parcel and forwards it to the post office,  but wants you to come in and open it while they watch.

Not every province even has a customs office though, so when I was staying in Udon Thani I had to go to customs in Nong Khai to get my parcel (130kms round trip or so).

• Thanks 1