Tourist visa to the uk

A friend of mine asked me to try find out if they can go to the uk for a months holiday. She is in her final 6 month of a 6 year english degree. And will become an English teacher here in Thailand so wants to go to the uk in the hope that the experience will make her a better english teacher.

But looking online everything is for taking your girlfriend or partner to the uk or having a sponsor. She is a single girl with savings in the bank and no connection with anybody in the uk so cant get a sponsor boyfriend.  She has been in touch with lots of Visa agents and they all saying having a sponsor is the easiest way but she feels as I do that these agents are more geared for the bar girls and farang new life together sort of thing So I would like to know as to why a thai citizen can not just go for a holiday if they can afford it.

Let's say a rich student at the end if a degree course no job but has been offered many teaching jobs and will start work once back in Thailand  not have  farang boyfriend or girlfriend and no intention of staying in the uk

I had a look online and was surprised that she was right theres us nothing even the uk gov site says about sponsors or boyfriends 

She doesn't need a sponsor or guarantor.  She just needs to demonstrate that she can afford the trip, has somewhere to stay, and will return.  That said, lone female Thai holidaymakers are probably a rare breed indeed and her application will need to be pretty bulletproof to succeed.

To practise English it might be easier to go to Singapore.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

She doesn't need a sponsor or guarantor.  She just needs to demonstrate that she can afford the trip, has somewhere to stay, and will return.  That said, lone female Thai holidaymakers are probably a rare breed indeed and her application will need to be pretty bulletproof to succeed.

My girlfriend is from the Philippines, she has her own business and house, got the UK tourist visa very easily, without me being a sponsor, they want to see you have adequate funds for your trip and they want you to go back, so having a house is a huge advantage, that is all they are interested in. l would not advise you put a large deposit for the trip in her bank account, for some reason they don't like this. If she does not have the funds just go down the sponsor route. She will have to quarantine for 10 days, but l think you can do this at home. l live in the UK with my Thai daughter we go to Thailand for half the year so l have to keep and eye what goes on. l know someone who broke the quarantine rules and was caught, the maximum fine is £10,000  but she got a £2000 fine, it differs with what judge you get, but they do seem to making an example of people, l have heard of other £2000 fines in the press, large amount of money to me, so stay in.    

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A sponsor is a guarantor. 

Without wishing to be pernickty a sponsor cannot guarantee anything other than say that a proposed course is in place or to say they would provide funds and could afford to do so.

In the event that visa holder overstayed the sponsor couldn't be held to account. 

12 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

A sponsor is a guarantor. It has nothing to do with Girlfriends or bar girls. It could be a language school or church group. BTW A 6 year English degree to become a teacher?

It's an English degree 6 years  the teacher caorse was another that run along side she was doing 2 degrees at the start and is now working as a teacher and still in uni doing english as far as I know but i will ask her as  for a sponsor for a uk Visa they must write a letter saying they will sponsor and also show bank statements I cant see many organisations in the uk going to do  this even if she know of any. I could do it from Thailand I think but the  fact is to why they would need a sponsor if they have money and a good job and reasons not to stay in the uk. Why cant she just go on a holiday like any uk or USA citizen can I'm the sure bkk elite dont need a sponser

48 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

It's an English degree 6 years  the teacher caorse was another that run along side she was doing 2 degrees at the start and is now working as a teacher and still in uni doing english as far as I know but i will ask her as  for a sponsor for a uk Visa they must write a letter saying they will sponsor and also show bank statements I cant see many organisations in the uk going to do  this even if she know of any. I could do it from Thailand I think but the  fact is to why they would need a sponsor if they have money and a good job and reasons not to stay in the uk. Why cant she just go on a holiday like any uk or USA citizen can I'm the sure bkk elite dont need a sponser

Having a sponsor is not a requirement, if she can satisfy the decision maker that the proposed trip is genuine, affordable from her own means and that, on the balance of probability, she will leave the UK at the conclusion of her proposed trip, then in all likelihood her visa will be granted.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Having a sponsor is not a requirement, if she can satisfy the decision maker that the proposed trip is genuine, affordable from her own means and that, on the balance of probability, she will leave the UK at the conclusion of her proposed trip, then in all likelihood her visa will be granted.

That was my opinion too  but every agency she has been to is telling her that  having a sponsor is far easier to get a visa  and searching on the web it only gives information on girlfriend boyfriend sponsors theres nothing about just a single thai person who has a lot more money then men taking a just a holiday

53 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

That was my opinion too  but every agency she has been to is telling her that  having a sponsor is far easier to get a visa  and searching on the web it only gives information on girlfriend boyfriend sponsors theres nothing about just a single thai person who has a lot more money then men taking a just a holiday

Thousands of well-off Thais visit the UK every year (or did before Covid) and just apply for visas themselves. If she has the finances for the trip and a genuine reason to return to Thailand after her holiday it should be straightforward, with no need for an agent over-complicating things to justify their fee!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thousands of well-off Thais visit the UK every year (or did before Covid) and just apply for visas themselves. If she has the finances for the trip and a genuine reason to return to Thailand after her holiday it should be straightforward, with no need for an agent over-complicating things to justify their fee!

That's what I told her they just making money off her but I couldn't back it up as theres nothing online about just going on a holiday no boyfriend no sponsor 

17 hours ago, Upnotover said:

She speaks english much better then me and I am from the uk she teaches english  grammar at university level  it's not to practise english  it's more to say to the students  she teaches that she as been to the uk  and to help her  pick up more of the true accents as the other teachers where she works  speak english but more filipino or usa accents. But yes going alone and being a single girl will be looked at where it shouldn't if she was a single  man then nobody would blink a eye. 

12 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Without wishing to be pernickty a sponsor cannot guarantee anything other than say that a proposed course is in place or to say they would provide funds and could afford to do so.

In the event that visa holder overstayed the sponsor couldn't be held to account. 

It's a holiday staying in hotels and travelling around for 3 weeks no intention of staying so why would she need a sponsor or guarantee. It says they have to write a letter to say they will sponsor and also show bankstates but nobody would do this if they didnt know the person personally it just dosnt seem right but from what I've read a sponsor is the easiest way for a single thai girl going alone to the uk for any reason 

16 hours ago, Mark1972 said:

My girlfriend is from the Philippines, she has her own business and house, got the UK tourist visa very easily, without me being a sponsor, they want to see you have adequate funds for your trip and they want you to go back, so having a house is a huge advantage, that is all they are interested in. l would not advise you put a large deposit for the trip in her bank account, for some reason they don't like this. If she does not have the funds just go down the sponsor route. She will have to quarantine for 10 days, but l think you can do this at home. l live in the UK with my Thai daughter we go to Thailand for half the year so l have to keep and eye what goes on. l know someone who broke the quarantine rules and was caught, the maximum fine is £10,000  but she got a £2000 fine, it differs with what judge you get, but they do seem to making an example of people, l have heard of other £2000 fines in the press, large amount of money to me, so stay in.    

She is only a friend so theres no chance of me putting anything in her bank she has savings I dont know exactly how much saving. She only rents a house as still at uni in the final 4 month but also teaches at the same uni on a part time basis and been offered full time as soon as her coarse finishes but she wants to just go on holiday  no intention if staying. To her the teachers where she works speak english with usa accent and they are from the Philippines she feels it would help her speak and teach better

8 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

It's a holiday staying in hotels and travelling around for 3 weeks no intention of staying so why would she need a sponsor or guarantee. It says they have to write a letter to say they will sponsor and also show bankstates but nobody would do this if they didnt know the person personally it just dosnt seem right but from what I've read a sponsor is the easiest way for a single thai girl going alone to the uk for any reason 

I once helped a Thai friend go through the online visa application form. She was going to travel alone and just wanted me to check that she'd understood it all correctly. It looked like all the information about requirements etc. was on the UK government website: https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

...am interested in this too - if I just bring my g/f over to UK as Thailand looks like it is going to suck till next October...

She will be travelling alone and I think that will not look good ie single thai girl going to the uk for a holiday. But if a few girls where all going on holiday together I think would be easier. The sponsor bullxxxx is just the agency justifying their fee I think and making it more complicated then what it really is.

21 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

I once helped a Thai friend go through the online visa application form. She was going to travel alone and just wanted me to check that she'd understood it all correctly. It looked like all the information about requirements etc. was on the UK government website: https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor

Did she get the Visa?

This girl single no house only rents still at uni but works at the same uni teaching grammar part time but doubt if she is on the books there. She has money so I think that woukdnt be a problem I think being a single girl going alone to the uk no house here will be the problem 

5 hours ago, malthebluff said:

Did she get the Visa?

This girl single no house only rents still at uni but works at the same uni teaching grammar part time but doubt if she is on the books there. She has money so I think that woukdnt be a problem I think being a single girl going alone to the uk no house here will be the problem 

My opinion is that the returning to Thailand is the main criteria if she can prove she has the funds to support herself. She can presumably provide a letter from the university to say that she is on holiday and has a job to return to so under those circumstances it should not be a problem. UKVI are primarily concerned with affordability and reasons to return not studying an applicant’s lifestyle.

• Like 1